Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Ryding Adventures with Akspyderlady and Akspyderman

Just getting the thread set up for when we get rydeing this season. I am hoping its not to many weeks away.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The temperatures are starting to break things up well, shouldn't be long now.

Spyder Garage

1 3/4 blocks of icy road and 40ft of driveway and we are out and about.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I are wish'n y'all luck in get'n yur Adventures started sooner than later

We'll be follow'n along for the ryde

Spyder Garage

Got mine home today with the new theme. I started a mod thread so check it out.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...612#post433612

Spyder Garage

Default Saturday April 7th.

Today was the day we were going to go out on the Black Widow for the first ride of the year.
    I installed my new brake pedal pad yesterday and awoke the Black Widow from her long winter sleep. She started instantly (was on a battery tender) and sounded happy to be awake again.

I had to adjust the clock--since it was running slow--but that was the only glitch.

All the snow and ice had melted from the road and only about 10ft left on my driveway. This morning we awoke to another inch of snow--Mother Nature's way of saying not yet buddies. It has been snowing for the last 5 hours. Sort of puts a damper on today's planned ryde.

We needed two and a half inches to beat the all time snowfall record. We did it.

Hopefully we will get some warmup during the next week and can try again.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-09-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Weeknd 4/27-4/29 Our first rydes of the year

Some medical issues behind me and the snow finally melted from my drive, Linda and I took our first rydes of the year together this weekend.

The weather was nice as in partly sunny, high 50's, mid 60's.

Friday night we took a ride out to Wasilla for our Friday night date night and went to one of our favorite restaurants. Had not been there for three months or so as we do not like driving there in the winter.

Saturday we rode the Eklutna Lake road to enjoy the climb and the twisties. Eklutna lake is a big glacier fed lake that supplies the drinking water for Anchorage. The lake was still frozen over--but will probably be breaking up in the next three weeks or so.

Sunday we took the old Glen Hwy and rode along the Knik and Matanuska rivers to Palmer, where we stopped at one of our usual restaurants. They still remembered us from last year.

No pictures this trip because the leaves are not out yet--I am expecting leaves in the next two weeks or so. Even though I still have patches of snow in my back yard and woods--the buds are starting to break open and small leaves are out.

We will have pictures for the 2012 album on future rydes--but they look so much better with leaves etc.

The bottom line: its great to be riding two up again. YEAH!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-30-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default May 19th

Saturday May 19th. We thought we would ride with a different group this year, so joined up with the Anchorage branch of Goldwing Riders. This was their first meeting of the year. We met for breakfast in Anchorage and then went for a short ride to Ekluta Lake. Coincidently, the same ride we posted about 3 weeks ago.

It was a great bunch of people to hook up with, and we were welcomed by everyone. They started out with 16 goldwings, 1, 1989 Honda Pacifica--looked like a mini goldwing, and our Spyder. The Spyder and the Pacifica got a lot of attention from the group. We spend a lot of time answering the usual Spyder questions.

The ride was pretty good. We had overcast skies so it was in the mid 50's when we started out. The leaves are mostly out now except in places of elevation. We had leaves about halfway up the climb to lake Eklutna and then it dwindled to just opened buds. The temperature also dropped about 15 degrees as we got back up into the mountains. Lake Eklutna is fed by a glacier so the wind blowing off the glacier and coming through the valley really made it feel cold. Akspyderlady got chilled to the bone--even though she had her Firstgear with liners on. I faired better.

No pictures on this trip--I am waiting for the full leaves. We will be going back to Lake Eklutna and share the highlights of the ride in pictures. This is a regular short ride as I live only about 10 miles from the area.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-29-2012 at 02:52 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Just getting the thread set up for when we get rydeing this season. I am hoping its not to many weeks away.
    Good Deal. I want to head to Alaska this July and any tips i can gather from you on your adventures would be welcomed.

Spyder Garage

PM me or post here. I will do my best to answer any of your questions.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

PM me or post here. I will do my best to answer any of your questions.
    I want to go up there in July and the weather is my main concern: How cold? How wet? I am also concerned about accomodations along the way as I would guess that they become impacted in the summer months. I do like to do 3-400 miles a day and then settle in for the night. I sthat a reasoanble range for a place as big as Alaska? Any thoughts on taking the ferry back tot he lowere 48 would be appreciated.

I just rode 250 miles in a 50 degree drizzle yesterday and I was quite comfortable with that. The day before I was riding in 42 degree dry weather and the gear I had with me was not so good for that. Heated grips are in my future.

Spyder Garage

"I want to go up there in July and the weather is my main concern: How cold? How wet? I am also concerned about accomodations along the way as I would guess that they become impacted in the summer months. I do like to do 3-400 miles a day and then settle in for the night. I sthat a reasoanble range for a place as big as Alaska? Any thoughts on taking the ferry back tot he lowere 48 would be appreciated.

I just rode 250 miles in a 50 degree drizzle yesterday and I was quite comfortable with that. The day before I was riding in 42 degree dry weather and the gear I had with me was not so good for that. Heated grips are in my future. "

Thanks for your interest in AK.

I recommend purchasing a copy of the "Milepost" magazine for 2012. Road conditions and accomodations change--so the most current version is my recommendation. It gives you the latest information about traveling the Alcan and lots of ideas for traveling AK. It lists for $30 but you can find it for less. Walmart, Amazon, other book stores. Places pay to get mentioned--but it is complete enough that you will not encounter difficulties.

Temps: I am assuming you are going to make your entrance via the Alcan Highway. June/July are the two best months to see AK at her best. July temps are in the 60's mostly. You may see a 70 day once or twice. Be prepared to encounter cool and rainy though. It does get cool riding the Alcan and you can expect to experience 40's to 60's. Just be prepared for rain with good rain gear and you will be fine.

Accomodations: If you are planning on 300-400 miles days, you will not have a problem. Most towns have something. Let me know your route and I can make specific suggestions. Most of the accomodations are "rustic" but adequate. Gas--get it where you see it. You can go 100 miles in some places without gas in between.

Ferry: the ferry back is an extra adventure that people like a lot. Check with BMW on our site--he took the ferry back after his trip here.

Once you get your plans finalized let me know. If you want any ride suggestions once you arrive, I will be happy to make some suggestions based upon your schedule and where you may want to go.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad you guys got to ride, I have been stuck down here in Houston for work since mothers day. By the time I get home next Friday I hope summer is still around. lol Dave has been riding his bike and promises me he hasn't been putting any miles on the spyder, but we will see. Enjoy the ride and we will catch up with you when I get back to Alaska.

Spyder Garage

Freedom Rings: we are looking forward to getting together with you and hubby when you get back. Hopefully, akspyderlady will be driving the on her own by then.

I have not seen your spyder on the road--so maybe hubby is behaving
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Memorial Day: May 28th, 2012

First of all Happy Birthday to Akspyderlady.

Akspyderlady and I went out for her first serious driving lesson on the Black Widow. She drove 150 miles today. Twisties, and Highway driving. I am very impressed how well she did for the first time this year. She got in less than 50 miles driving in 2011--so this almost like starting over again. She handled the as though she had many more miles accumulated driving. I was very impressed. I got to drive behind as tailgunner on my Vulcan.

We start doing weekend rides next week if all goes as planned. I will remember to bring camera beginning next week to share some of our adventures with all of you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Rumor has it that FreedomRings decked out won first prize in a show.

Hope she comes on and tells us some more about it.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is FreedomRings riding partner. I stole the spyder out of the garage and took it to the Car / Cycle show in Wasilla last Friday evening. What a response! Instantly there were several people taking photos and asking all kinds of questions. I was overwhelmed to be honest, and I usually handle things like this very well. I explained it was Jen's spyder and that she was out of town, but really wished she could have been there. I was presented with a 1st place medallion but promised as soon as the trophy was ready they would give us a call. I guess there was a problem with the trophies being ready in time for the show. After the show I had to take the long way home. For memorial day I thought it was only appropriate to ride the spyder to work, of course with the mrs. permission. I had to take the long way home after work too. She is suppose to be home this weekend, if not I may have to take it for a ride just so it doesn't get dusty.

Rumor has it that FreedomRings decked out won first prize in a show.

Hope she comes on and tells us some more about it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default June 1st Weekend Rydes

Akspyderlady (Linda) drove the RTS another 260 miles this weekend. On Friday we went for a small "joyride" totaling about 70 miles and on Saturday we went down the Glen Highway 190 miles round trip to a place called Sheep Mountain. This particular drive contains some of the most spectaular scenery you will find in driving Alaska roads. The road features miles of twisties with climbs requiring speeds of 45 or less--called the Chickaloon Hills. The road follows the Matanuska River, goes by the Matanuska Glacier and has huge snow capped mountains in the background and on both sides of the road. Yes, I took some pictures for this trip and will get them posted to the Alaska album for 2012 within the next 24 hours or so. Maybe a couple here also as a teaser.

BMW shared this ride when he was here a couple summers back.

Linds's driving skills continue to improve and it looks like we will be doing regular weekend rides for the rest of the summer. I rode along as wingman on my Vulcan.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Jen and I rode the same ride Saturday afternoon. After getting in at 2 am Saturday morning she couldn't make a morning ride, but by about 3 pm she was ready to go. It's always a good ride.

Spyder Garage

We were going to call you folks Satruday but Linda thought you would be too tired from your travels. We must have just missed you. We stopped at the Grandview (milepost 109) for lunch and got home a little after 5:00.

I will have Linda get in contact if you want to do something next weekend. The Wasilla Goldwing riders meet at the Denali restaurant in Wasilla on Saturday morning. I was going to check with them and see where their ride is headed. I was also thinking about the possibility of going to Hope or Talkeetna if that does not work out or as an additional ride on Sunday if it does.

Glad to hear your back from Texas.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I posted some pictures from last Saturday's ride in the 2012-Alaska Gallery
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-05-2012 at 02:44 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Weekend of June 10th

The Alaska weather was cool again; hovering in the high 50-to low 60's. Mostly cloudy. We got drizzzle on Friday, just missed it on Saturday, and no precip. on Sunday.

We did another driver training weekend for Akspyderlady so did not go on any trip of note. Linda got in another 270 miles of driving the . This makes about 700 miles driving now in three weekends. It's looking like next weekend will put her over a thousand miles on driving the . Once again, I followed along on the Vulcan.

We took some local roads with twisties and altitude. Hiland road, Eagle River road, the Old Glenn, Knik River road, and also ventured up to Hatchers Pass. There was still some snow up at the pass, and the gate allowing access over the pass was still closed because of snow on the road. It seem a little late this year for the pass to still be closed. We are so fortunate to have such nice places to go--all very close to Chugiak.

I did take some pictures and will be adding them to the 2012-the Alaska Album later today, along with some teaser pictures here.

New Pictures added to 2012-the Alaska Gallery from our June 8 weekend rides

Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default More pictures added to 2012-the Alaska Gallery

More pictures added to the 2012-The Alaska Gallery

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Enjoyed riding with you guys today. Only was able to get a couple pictures with the Iphone.