Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Bikers

Spyder Garage

Default Other Bikers

Why are other bikers so critial of Spyder ryders?

I ran into this three times this weekend when I was out on my road trip.

The first was when we stopped for gas. There was a herd, gaggle (about 12) of Harley riders getting gas too. They all pointed and stared at me bike and a couple asked me how I liked riding on a tricycle (it was not said in nice way). My husband told me to let it go. So we finished smoking and suited back up, that is when the insults really started flying. So I put the bike in reverse and backed out the parking spot. They all shut up and just stared. See how do you like me now! They can all just bite me!

The second was when we stopped to smoke and drink and just take a general break. There were 3 harley riders and one walked up to me and I mean invaded my personal space walked up to me and said "Doesn't that feel like you are riding @ss backwards." Then he started laughing and joined his crew. Man they made so much noise when they left it was deafening.

And the final, I am very sorry say was one of my friends. I posted on Facebook that I had finally taken my first road trip on my motorcycle and he replied with "Did you get rid of your crappy little Spyder and get a real motorcycle". Really you are my friend or at least supposed to be, what in the hell is that.

Has anybody else encountered this issue. How do you deal with it?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    !

Has anybody else encountered this issue. How do you deal with it?
    Easy, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, And understand the Spyder just like my Tri Glide aren't Motorcycles.
    Life is too short to worry about little things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy the ride and don't let those with small minds chip away at your happiness...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I buy 100% of my riding gear at my local Hardley dealer. They asked me to stop riding my RT over there, because I sell too many Spyders at their dealership….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I was invited to put my 2010 RT in a well established local car show last spring. One of the requirements was to kind of hang around and answer questions. The bike was the hit of the show (besides one of Danica Patrick's older race cars) and the most questions asked were by the local Harley riders. Every last one of them wanted to know how it felt to ride it and was the seat as comfortable as it looked. I have never gotten anything but interesting questions and complete respect from all of the other riders I encounter whether they are on Harleys, Goldwings and sport bikes. And for the occasional off comment, as mentioned earlier... ignore, ignore, ignore. Envy can cause some very bad manners to appear.

Spyder Garage

What a shame.

And a bit surprising. I ride in the same stomping grounds as you do (in fact, I myself was out in West Virginia this weekend, riding up near Wardensville Saturday morning), and I've never encountered a bad group of riders. Just the opposite, in fact-- I've had more than one HD "pirate" (not to mention other brand bikers) walk over and ask plenty of good-natured questions about the Spyder. In a year no one's insulted it yet, although I've definitely encountered some skeptics.

Maybe I'm due for a bad encounter. Hopefully not three in one day, though .

Anyway, my pitch is down to a science: "It's a Can-Am Spyder. It's great fun! Best thing I can compare it to is a street-legal ATV or snowmobile, rides very different than a bike but just as fun. Yes, you do the leaning, but gets you some exercise and fresh air. Yes, it's far more stable than a regular trike, with two wheels up, power steering and traction control. No, they're not cheap, but they're worth it. Thank you, and have a great day!"
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Yes, I agree with everyone, Saturday was the first time, I received a negative comment about my Spyder. I love my bike and she is so much fun. I guess I just never really considered myself different. I lean, I shift gears and I am out in the open. I don't balance, that is about the only difference that I see.

Spyder Garage

Been riding Spyders since 4/2010 and have never once had a negative comment. You were unlucky enough to meet some real idiots.

I'd worry more about those smoke breaks than those morons.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    Been riding Spyders since 4/2010 and have never once had a negative comment. You were unlucky enough to meet some real idiots.

I'd worry more about those smoke breaks than those morons.

This isn't going to turn into a conversation about the dangers of smoking is it? I know them already and I have made a personal choice to continue.

Spyder Garage

I was thinking about this the other day, how come if they make a trike out of a Harley its ok?

Also do the moto cross dirt bike crew say the same thing about quad dirt riders?

I just tell hater that its the only "bike" made in Canada and thats important to me and that sometimes its a pain that everytime I stop EVERYONE wants to come and talk to me about it, cant say the same about Harleys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmdahnert View Post
    I was invited to put my 2010 RT in a well established local car show last spring. One of the requirements was to kind of hang around and answer questions. The bike was the hit of the show (besides one of Danica Patrick's older race cars) and the most questions asked were by the local Harley riders. Every last one of them wanted to know how it felt to ride it and was the seat as comfortable as it looked. I have never gotten anything but interesting questions and complete respect from all of the other riders I encounter whether they are on Harleys, Goldwings and sport bikes. And for the occasional off comment, as mentioned earlier... ignore, ignore, ignore. Envy can cause some very bad manners to appear.
    A few days ago at the river a Harley guy came over and just kept noticing ALL the innovative things on the
    He especially liked the Hugh Belt spockett!
    Next time I have to make sure I go over a check out his Harley because he had a real Old Model!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you had bad encounters with HD people. All of mine to date have been positive.

I wouldn't worry about unmannered ignoramouses.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, how come if they make a trike out of a Harley its ok?

Also do the moto cross dirt bike crew say the same thing about quad dirt riders?

I just tell hater that its the only "bike" made in Canada and thats important to me and that sometimes its a pain that everytime I stop EVERYONE wants to come and talk to me about it, cant say the same about Harleys.
    Never understood this myself. I seriously doubt 'traditional' trikes get this much grief.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A few weeks ago I had a gaggle of underage punks in a pos car pull up next to me. Making loud remarks about having fun when I grow up and such. I just ignored them. When the light turned green, I really laid on the throttle and left them in the dust. They weren't saying anything at the next light....

Where I unfortunately killed the engine due to my issue with occasionally not being able to shift down into neutral or first, and had trouble starting again thanks to low voltage cause by my farkles.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default This is a perfect opportunity to revive this little ditty

Spyder Garage

Default But Seriously Folks ...

I've really never gotten any flack from any other category of motorcyclist about my Spyder. They ask a lot of questions. Sometimes I say something self-deprecating like, "Well, it started out as a Hover-Round and I beefed it up." Most admire it and and some ask how they can get one, its fuel mpg, comfort, handling, etc. I am now integrating my activities with other types of bikes groups, like Trike groups and even Maxi Scoots. I'm tellin' ya, it's all about the open road and open air. Two wheels or three, shifter, auto or semi-auto, we're all a brotherhood out there taking the same risks and reaping the same benefits (admittedly except the dirt and crime in some cases).

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

I really have never had any of the nasty comments either.... or maybe I didn't hear them!... lol

I've been to many bike nights, went to Sturgis, etc... and never really had anything but nice comments and questions.....

My close buddies will give me some grief every now and then..... of course I've given them about them dripping oil all over the place on their HD's .... but it's all in good fun.

One of my buds doesn't like the idea of me pulling a trailer on our next big trip... so I made him an offer..... told him I'd race him on his HD... against me pulling my trailer.... and if he won I'd leave it at home....... He has yet to take me up on the offer... I think he knows I'd smoke him.

I have had some people call it a snowmobile.... which doesn't really bug me much.

A good burnout when leaving will also give them some food for thought.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, most other riders, especially Harley riders, have been both supportive and interested. I've even had a group of Harley riders follow me off the Interstate to a gas station, to ask questions and take a peek. Must be you just hit a bad day. Don't sweat it, children will be children.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    I love the video! LOL Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can always mention that it's another "North-American Vee-Twin..."
    Just a bit further North...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Believe it or not, most other riders, especially Harley riders, have been both supportive and interested. I've even had a group of Harley riders follow me off the Interstate to a gas station, to ask questions and take a peek. Must be you just hit a bad day. Don't sweat it, children will be children.
    Same with me, and BTW why not just class up and smoke hand rolled cigars coupled with a good single malt, well....slice of heaven.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Don't sweat it Bytemi. For every 100 "ooh's and ahh's" you get there will be 1 jealous idiot who never left a middle-school mentality of "if I don't understand it then I must hate it". The best comment I ever got was from a Harley dude that was asking me questions right after I first got my Spyder. I told him I was curious as to how the 2-wheel community would respond to the Spyder. His response? "Riding is riding, man." That little quote stuck with me. And he's right. Anyone else...well, I just feel bad for them. They're small-minded bullies, and I pity them.

Keep enjoying the ride!

--ABQ
    spydern.jpg

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

Spyder Garage

I agree with everyone else, dont sweat the small stuff and ride! I am 24 and own one. You can imagine how much crap I get from people being so young and not having a rocket or a "real bike." I have never been one to "hop on the band wagon" and I will never hop on the HD band wagon. My brother and two friends (one who owns an HD) gave me crap for it and changed their tune quick once they rode it. My brother loves riding it! With the awesome ppl on this forum and others out there on the spyder, we are not hoping on the band wagon, we are making it for others! LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have encountered that kind of stupidity before . When we are face to face I ask them what makes the Harley sooo special, and when they have nothing to say except its a harley . I laugh and say hmm so its what your riding not that your riding . Nice brotherhood/Sisterhood. and I go about my business . Its not all the Harley riders that are like that there are id say about 85% of them who think the spyder is cool and agree that its that your out riding and thats the important part. Dont worry most of that 15% are weekend warriors who will one day be on a tryke of some kind so the last laugh is on them . Im sorry you have to deal with that kind of prejudice/ stupidity , Ride what you want and ryde it . Who cares what they think . Sorry If I am singling out Harley bikers but from what I gather if its not the "Harley way " its no way . Turn the other cheek and ride away while everyone is lookin at your bike and not theres ... Maybe its that 15% are just jealous !!!!!

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    I agree with everyone else, dont sweat the small stuff and ride! I am 24 and own one. You can imagine how much crap I get from people being so young and not having a rocket or a "real bike." I have never been one to "hop on the band wagon" and I will never hop on the HD band wagon. My brother and two friends (one who owns an HD) gave me crap for it and changed their tune quick once they rode it. My brother loves riding it! With the awesome ppl on this forum and others out there on the spyder, we are not hoping on the band wagon, we are making it for others! LOL
    To tell the truth when i had my Spyder i loved the crap people ''tried'' to lay on me. More than a few walked away talking to himself after talking to me. Once this guy comes over to me and asking questions, But i could tell by the ''smug'' look on his face where this was going, His parting shot was i think I'll get one of ''these'' ''things'' for my wife, So without hesitation i said you should i took her for a ride the other day and she loved it. He just walked away shaking his head, But i think i planted a seed in his head.