Thread: Fueling

Spyder Garage

Default Fueling

When fueling my new RTS (2 months, 2,000 miles) I always hold the pump manually and wait for it to shut off. I then hit it one more time to make sure it is full and always look to make sure it seems full. Today, did the same thing, but thought I would see if I could baby any more fuel in before it overflowed at the cap neck. It took about 2 minutes but I actually got almost another gallon in and it still did not overflow at the cap neck. Of course I was able to go considerably further today than normal and it was nice not having to stop for gas.

Any other bike I have ever owned would never take this much fuel after shutting off without overflowing at the cap neck. Any comments on whether this is pretty much standard procedure or maybe I have a venting problem. I am really surprised that I was able to get that much more fuel in as it looked like it was going to overflow after the auto shut off. I just kept hitting the pump for a second or so, wait till it settled and kept doing it as mentioned above.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am really attempting to learn the proper procedures for the Spyder as it certainly is nothing like my other bikes. Got to say, LOVE IT!!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    When fueling my new RTS (2 months, 2,000 miles) I always hold the pump manually and wait for it to shut off. I then hit it one more time to make sure it is full and always look to make sure it seems full. Today, did the same thing, but thought I would see if I could baby any more fuel in before it overflowed at the cap neck. It took about 2 minutes but I actually got almost another gallon in and it still did not overflow at the cap neck. Of course I was able to go considerably further today than normal and it was nice not having to stop for gas.

Any other bike I have ever owned would never take this much fuel after shutting off without overflowing at the cap neck. Any comments on whether this is pretty much standard procedure or maybe I have a venting problem. I am really surprised that I was able to get that much more fuel in as it looked like it was going to overflow after the auto shut off. I just kept hitting the pump for a second or so, wait till it settled and kept doing it as mentioned above.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am really attempting to learn the proper procedures for the Spyder as it certainly is nothing like my other bikes. Got to say, LOVE IT!!!
    My Spyder would always take another gal or so after the click off, My Tri Glide will do the same.
    My 6n will take a half gal after click off, But that's only a 4,2 gal tank.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If your model is equipped with an evap canister.... I can see a new canister in your futur! I've been doing like you from day one and now I have to have the canister changed!!!

Spyder Garage

Is your canister needing change to meet emission controls or is causing engine problems? As I understand it it captures fumes and if you overfill it puts raw gas in as well. Are our tanks vented or is vent back through the charcoal canister? Just wondering if there is a down side other than meeting EPA regulations.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Is your canister needing change to meet emission controls or is causing engine problems? As I understand it it captures fumes and if you overfill it puts raw gas in as well. Are our tanks vented or is vent back through the charcoal canister? Just wondering if there is a down side other than meeting EPA regulations.
    Vents on all fuel tanks are routed through the charcoal canister...EPA regulations (unless the manufacturer finds a legal alternative).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I just hang on until it clicks off, then take it up to the next even dollar amount... At today's fuel costs that usually is about another quart or less.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I find the length of the hose nozzle makes a difference in when it shuts off. If it is a short nozzle, when it lets go, I let go. Maybe a little more if the nozzle is long. I know from experience that over filling a cars fuel tank can cause problems, including a check engine light.
    On the subject of overfilling, too fast fueling and attends doing the fueling. Ever watch a BSA Golden Flash burn a gas station down. Interesting.The atendent would not let us put our own fuel in.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Vents on all fuel tanks are routed through the charcoal canister...EPA regulations (unless the manufacturer finds a legal alternative).
    Thanks, that is what I thought

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    . Interesting.The atendent would not let us put our own fuel in.
    Interesting indeed, 40+ Years i never had an attendant even try to gas up a bike, Most times they'll shake out the nozzle before they hand it to you, And in Jersey it's illegal to pump your own gas, I guess that's why gas is so expensive in Jersey, [3.43 reg.]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Expensive??? $3.96.9/gsllon!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

do they put these canisters on all rts or does it vary from state to state?. i too have been adding more fuel after it clicks like getting that little extra milage before filling up again but if its destroying this canister then i'm going to stop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    do they put these canisters on all rts or does it vary from state to state?. i too have been adding more fuel after it clicks like getting that little extra milage before filling up again but if its destroying this canister then i'm going to stop.
    Yes, all states.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Interesting indeed, 40+ Years i never had an attendant even try to gas up a bike, Most times they'll shake out the nozzle before they hand it to you, And in Jersey it's illegal to pump your own gas, I guess that's why gas is so expensive in Jersey, [3.43 reg.]
    You have go way back. It was 1957 or 58. Eglin AFB, FLA had about 20 motorcyles on base. "Outlaws" and Family clubs total.
    I used to get tickets ( DD form 578: for riding with a helmet in uniform.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

will the fuel disapate from the canister after awhile or will it just stay there?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Canister

will the fuel disapate from the canister after awhile or will it just stay there?
    Supposed to evaporate after a while... if under the sun for hours!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

If every thing is working the way the canister was designed to work it will dissipate back into the throttle body's to be brunt up. But if its not working right in ''some'' cases the charcoal in the canister will get saturated and have to be replaced.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put the tip of the nozzle right at the opening for the gas tank. The nozzle does not enter the tank at all when I fill up. I stop filling up the minute I start getting splash back out of the upper vent openings at the gas cap.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Smell

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    So, might this be my problem why I'm getting a nasty fuel smell coming out of the right side of the engine and blowing all over my pants. Raw Fuel? Just wondering. It's getting worse and worse and I smell like I've been in the garage all day long working on the machine.

Biker
    Thou shalt not criticize the Indian, until he has walked a mile in his moccasins.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    So, might this be my problem why I'm getting a nasty fuel smell coming out of the right side of the engine and blowing all over my pants. Raw Fuel? Just wondering. It's getting worse and worse and I smell like I've been in the garage all day long working on the machine.

Biker
    Yep, I would say so. Now when i had my Spyder 08 GS, I put every last drop of gas i could squeeze in, And in the over the 3 years i had it i never had a gas smell or dripping, So if the system is working right like it should, There shouldn't be a gas smell even if you fill the tank to the top.
    That said i probably got lucky on that one, Because if you read all the threads on this subject not many others have my luck.

Spyder Garage

Fuel should eventually dissipate from a flooded canister (it can take months), but the canister will no longer be effective in absorbing fuel vapors, as the activated charcoal will be saturated and ruined. Since the charcoal can't be removed from the canister and reactivated, the canister must be replaced to meet emissions requirements.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!