Spyder Garage

Default tail light out....

A little dissapointed in the spyders longevity of lights. I have had cars for more then 7 years without a brake/tail light going out. Its an 09 phantom with 8,600 miles on it and one of the tail lights are out I keep going back and forth if I should switch to an LED on both, or just replace with a normal light.

Also, there was a thread showing how to remove and replace the light, but I can't find it. Can I get some help please?

Spyder Garage

LEDs only way to go. Put 25,000 miles on my 2009 RS with the NMN LEDs ( now Custom Dynamics )
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle (and motorcycle kin) taillights do not last as long as automotive taillights, in general. Same bulb, but the constant jolting of the lightweight vehicles is tough on the hot filaments, and they fail more readily...especially on rough roads. You can't use standard LED replacements, as the Spyder will sense the lower load as having the brakelights burned out, and will go into limp mode. Use of a load compensating taillight bulb or taillight conversion is necessary if you want to go that route.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy View Post
    A little dissapointed in the spyders longevity of lights. I have had cars for more then 7 years without a brake/tail light going out. Its an 09 phantom with 8,600 miles on it and one of the tail lights are out I keep going back and forth if I should switch to an LED on both, or just replace with a normal light.

Also, there was a thread showing how to remove and replace the light, but I can't find it. Can I get some help please?
    I had one burn out about a month ago. I followed the instructions in the owners manual and changed it out in about 20 minutes.

CAC

Spyder Garage

Custom Dynamics' tail lights are AWESOME! check out my pics. Every light I have on my Spyder are LED, and all but the Fender Strips (TricLED) and the light where the license plate light used to be (Truck'n'stuff) are by Custom Dynamics....check my pics to take a look.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Motorcycle (and motorcycle kin) taillights do not last as long as automotive taillights, in general. Same bulb, but the constant jolting of the lightweight vehicles is tough on the hot filaments, and they fail more readily...especially on rough roads. You can't use standard LED replacements, as the Spyder will sense the lower load as having the brakelights burned out, and will go into limp mode. Use of a load compensating taillight bulb or taillight conversion is necessary if you want to go that route.
    Custom Dynamics includes a "load equalizer" with their "all-in-one" accessory on the rear tail lights. I have had no problems with electrical flow in referance to the lights.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

After going thru many standard 1157 bulbs ( I learned the filament can't take the pounding)I now buy 1157 LED bulbs off Ebay for about $5 a pair and free shipping. I broke my tail light some time ago and replaced with a generic tail light from Autozone. All has been well for a long time.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    Custom Dynamics includes a "load equalizer" with their "all-in-one" accessory on the rear tail lights. I have had no problems with electrical flow in referance to the lights.
    Yes they do. That is one of the acceptable products.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have the rear seat option have fun getting to the bulb . I have the rear seat but I did a mod that was posted here showing how to remove a section of plastic located above the rear tire splash shield. Once this plastic has been cut or ground away you can remove the bulb by dropping the splash shield. I had a light go out last year at Spyderfest and it only took about 15 minutes to replace the bulb. Without this mod you have to remove parts of the rear seat mounting hardware.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Use 2357 Bulbs because their better and change the 4 T-30 screws to 10mm Torx head bolts and replacement will be a LOT faster.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Use 2357 Bulbs because their better and change the 4 T-30 screws to 10mm Torx head bolts and replacement will be a LOT faster.

HA, shouldn't have to replace them that often to do that!