Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kumho Ecsta AST

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So if it's overinflated OR underinflated... it'll wear the center tread section out first!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I probably should have said expressway riding. "High speed" means different things to different people. The Kenda seems to round the tread off at superhighway speeds. The previously flat tread is still pretty flat, but thw center of the wide tire grows enough to wear more quickly than the outside edges.
    I,m gonna have close to 18,000 when I put on the New Tire? The wear in the middle gets me because the edges have about 10,000 more miles.

Scotty. Would you use a Kuhmo or Faulken on the rear IF your warranty was Done?
    You don,t have to answer that, but I value your Experience!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I,m gonna have close to 18,000 when I put on the New Tire? The wear in the middle gets me because the edges have about 10,000 more miles.

Scotty. Would you use a Kuhmo or Faulken on the rear IF your warranty was Done?
    You don,t have to answer that, but I value your Experience!
    I would use another Kenda, especially if I got 18K out of the previous one. The increased wear in the center doesn't bother me. Motorcycle tires do the same, last half as long as the Spyder tire, and cost more. I am satisfied.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would use another Kenda, especially if I got 18K out of the previous one. The increased wear in the center doesn't bother me. Motorcycle tires do the same, last half as long as the Spyder tire, and cost more. I am satisfied.
    You know your right!
    I have read every thread on Kuhmo and Rear tires over the last couple of days and being that more than HALF my riding is burning around Narrow, Bumpy, Treelined, back roads I,m gonna be smart and pay the $70 extra for the Kenda which spread over about 2 years riding is $35 a year and is Probably good life insurance in my case!

Others may have varying uses and opiniuns!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You know your right!
    I have read every thread on Kuhmo and Rear tires over the last couple of days and being that more than HALF my riding is burning around Narrow, Bumpy, Treelined, back roads I,m gonna be smart and pay the $70 extra for the Kenda which spread over about 2 years riding is $35 a year and is Probably good life insurance in my case!

Others may have varying uses and opiniuns!
    As Scotty said, if I could get 18,000 miles out of a Kenda I probably would never have considered going with something else. We'll see how many miles the Kumho winds up getting. Actually, in my location there was very little difference between the price of a Kenda and a Kumho Ecsta. The dealer quoted me a price of $94.00 for a Kenda and the Kumho was $86 and change at a local dealer. The real money saving comes in installing the tire yourself. When I had the dealer install a Kenda, the total bill came to $418.00. I bought a Kumho for $86.00, had it mounted and balanced for $25.00 (overcharged, by the way), and removed and replaced the rear wheel myself. Total cost $111.00. Taking my time, being very careful because I had never done it before, it took me less than 2 hours to remove and replace the rear wheel. And 2 hours will sound like an eternity to the real mechanics on the board, like Scotty and Lamonster.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    As Scotty said, if I could get 18,000 miles out of a Kenda I probably would never have considered going with something else. We'll see how many miles the Kumho winds up getting. Actually, in my location there was very little difference between the price of a Kenda and a Kumho Ecsta. The dealer quoted me a price of $94.00 for a Kenda and the Kumho was $86 and change at a local dealer. The real money saving comes in installing the tire yourself. When I had the dealer install a Kenda, the total bill came to $418.00. I bought a Kumho for $86.00, had it mounted and balanced for $25.00 (overcharged, by the way), and removed and replaced the rear wheel myself. Total cost $111.00. Taking my time, being very careful because I had never done it before, it took me less than 2 hours to remove and replace the rear wheel. And 2 hours will sound like an eternity to the real mechanics on the board, like Scotty and Lamonster.

Cotton
    I plan on removing and installing the wheel myself also because it can take me All afternoon for all I care because I,m saving $ and learning another aspect of the spyder.
    I think I,m hard on front tires because I just changed mine at 17,000 miles while many seem to run they well into the 20,000 Plus range?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I plan on removing and installing the wheel myself also because it can take me All afternoon for all I care because I,m saving $ and learning another aspect of the spyder.
    I think I,m hard on front tires because I just changed mine at 17,000 miles while many seem to run they well into the 20,000 Plus range?
    You've probably seen this tip on here before but in case you haven't. Remove the lower shock mounting bolt and let the swingarm drop down to remove the rear wheel without changing the settings on the belt tensioners. Replace the rear wheel, put the swingarm back in place, and replace the lower shock mounting bolt without ever touching the belt tensioners. Nothing has changed as far as belt adjustment or tension is concerned, so belt tension will be good to go without having to re-adjust it.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

You've probably seen this tip on here before but in case you haven't. Remove the lower shock mounting bolt and let the swingarm drop down to remove the rear wheel without changing the settings on the belt tensioners. Replace the rear wheel, put the swingarm back in place, and replace the lower shock mounting bolt without ever touching the belt tensioners. Nothing has changed as far as belt adjustment or tension is concerned, so belt tension will be good to go without having to re-adjust it.

Cotton
    For the RTS/LTD be sure to disconnect the ACS sensor, or you can damage the link.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Cotton
    Thanks, Been watching the video,s over and over and have Online Manual.(Which I won,t follow in this case.)
    BUT, Today I noticed the lower Left side plastic belt guard looks quite hard to remove because of 10mm nuts in behind the frame?
    Do you have to remove that Left lower belt guard?

Spyder Garage

I googled the tire size and found it for $66 and up, local dealer wanted $170 for a Kenda.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Looked at the Kuhmo on www.tirerack.com and saw that it had very low traction ratings. Went with the Michelin Hydroedge instead.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Been watching the video,s over and over and have Online Manual.(Which I won,t follow in this case.)
    BUT, Today I noticed the lower Left side plastic belt guard looks quite hard to remove because of 10mm nuts in behind the frame?
    Do you have to remove that Left lower belt guard?
    On my base RT, you do not have to remove the belt guard. I can't say for sure on an RS. And Scotty's right about disconnecting the ACS sensor on the RTS or LTD. AMTJIM, I could have bought a Kumho at a discount tire store or on line for less than $86.00 but my neighbor is a small tire dealer in our small town and there's no way he can match the larger dealer's prices. I'm willing to pay a few more dollars to support local businesses, not to mention a good neighbor. If I lived in a larger city, I probably wouldn't feel that way but in small towns local businesses and good neighbors are both worth trying to keep.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Looked at the Kuhmo on www.tirerack.com and saw that it had very low traction ratings. Went with the Michelin Hydroedge instead.
    The Michelin and the Kuhmo both have an A rating for traction. Kuhmo also has a higher speed rating, but if you want even better tires, both the Toyo and the Falken have AA ratings and the Toyo has a V speed rating even seth can't reach. I have all but the michelin sitting in the shop.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    The Michelin and the Kuhmo both have an A rating for traction. Kuhmo also has a higher speed rating, but if you want even better tires, both the Toyo and the Falken have AA ratings and the Toyo has a V speed rating even seth can't reach. I have all but the michelin sitting in the shop.
    Sorry, my error. It wasn't the traction rating that was low, it was the reviewers rating.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

AMTJIM, I could have bought a Kumho at a discount tire store or on line for less than $86.00 but my neighbor is a small tire dealer in our small town and there's no way he can match the larger dealer's prices. I'm willing to pay a few more dollars to support local businesses, not to mention a good neighbor. If I lived in a larger city, I probably wouldn't feel that way but in small towns local businesses and good neighbors are both worth trying to keep.

Cotton
    But you wouldn't help a small town Can-Am dealer and let them install it, you guys sound mad about some of this stuff.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Sorry, my error. It wasn't the traction rating that was low, it was the reviewers rating.
    Mark, let me know how this tire works out for you as I am trying to help my son's tire business out on the spyder end. Spyderjockey is using this tire and he has been happy and no fault codes which is my concern. It is a taller, narrower tire, but is all season capable as well as the Toyo Proxes 4. Both about the same price.
    Last edited by rnet; 03-17-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    But you wouldn't help a small town Can-Am dealer and let them install it, you guys sound mad about some of this stuff.
    I live in Bronte, Texas, population about 950, a small town. The Can-Am dealer and Discount Tire are in San Angelo, Texas, population about 95,000, not so small. I spent an extra $20.00 or so to buy a tire from my hometown dealer. I figure I spent some $21,000.00 or so a couple of years ago to help the Can-Am dealer in a neigboring large town. I probably could have bought it for less if I had gone to San Antonio but Family Powersports is a good dealer with good service and good employees. Not only that, but I also bought a maintenance agreement and I regularly buy parts and accessories from them. I expect I will spend some more money with them when I get ready to trade in my 2010 RT for something newer. I don't think it's necessary to spend another $300.00 to help them when I'm perfectly capable of changing a rear tire for myself.

I'm not mad about anything, in fact I don't really know how life could be any better than it is. If any of the other posters were mad, I guess I missed it. I only mentioned why I paid more for the same tire to validate your statement that it was available for less money but I voluntarily chose to pay more.

Cotton

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SOMETIMES GROUCHY

I'm so glad to find out that I not the only pot stirrer on this forum..........MIKE......

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i replaced my kumho and i got 42 k out of it.
    i am using bridgestones on the front and at 33k they show very little wear.
    bought from tirerack.com.
    shipped from savannah ga in one day.
    fronts put on and balanced at tire kingdom for $12.95 each.
    the rear cost me $85.00 to have it put on.
    the dealer wouldnt put the kumho on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Mark, let me know how this tire works out for you as I am trying to help my son's tire business out on the spyder end. Spyderjockey is using this tire and he has been happy and no fault codes which is my concern. It is a taller, narrower tire, but is all season capable as well as the Toyo Proxes 4. Both about the same price.
    No problems in the first couple of hundred miles. One thing I really like is that my speedometer is now less than 1 MPH off, still showing a touch faster than the GPS, but very close.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Wright2743 View Post
    Looking for some feed back on this tire, Was thinking about ordering to replace the oem rear.
    Thanks.
    I PAID $79 DOLARES FOR ONE TIRE + $81 DOLARES TO REPLANE THE TIRE, TOTAL $160 DOLARES, MY REAR ORIGINAL TIRE GOT 22K MLS, BUT IS $150 DOLARES, SAVE 71 DOLARES I AM VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER, MMMMOOOONNEEYYYY FOR MANY DAYS OF RIDING MY SPYDER.