Spyder Garage

Default 6000 mile checkup

My 2008 RS is going to the dealer on Friday for its 6,000 mile check up -- I bought it used two years ago, when it had only 1,200 miles on it and purchased three year warranty/service program. Dealer said they may need it for 4 hours to do this check up. Other than an oil change, what else can I expect they are going to do?

Spyder Garage

BRP recommends checking the valves at 6000 miles. Most here think that's overkill. I'm having my 6K check right now. I managed to talk the service department out of a valve check now. Will not consider one before 12K at the earliest. My dealer has a check list and they go through quite a few checks. Mine will check the battery and all fluids. There are a bunch more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. They just have this general checklist they like to do at each service. I appreciate them doing this because I'm no mechanic. They also mentioned that if it's recommeded by BRP that they will rotate my front tires for even wear.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

You can get to the operator's manual from the home page. At the back of the manual is the maintenance schedule. Since you are having the 6000 mile maintenance that also includes the 3000 mile maintenance column. Will they do all those things listed? You'd have to verify that with the dealer.

I'm having the 18000 mile maintenance done tomorrow. So, that's the same as the 6000, which will include the 3000. I printed out the schedule to have it with me tomorrow. They usually go over it with me to tell me what isn't necessary.

The valves on my spyder were first checked at 12000 when they pulled the engine. In my case, there was no charge.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-13-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 6000 mile service

Quote Originally Posted by michigal View Post
    My 2008 RS is going to the dealer on Friday for its 6,000 mile check up -- I bought it used two years ago, when it had only 1,200 miles on it and purchased three year warranty/service program. Dealer said they may need it for 4 hours to do this check up. Other than an oil change, what else can I expect they are going to do?
    It's important to note that if the 3,000 service wasn't done, they should do both the 3,000 and 6,000 mile service. Since there are specific services and checks for each service interval.

The 6,000 mile service will include but not limited to:
    technical bulletin check
    engine oil and filter replace
    SE5 oil filter replace
    air filter inspection
    air filter housing check
    clutch fluid inspection (SM5)
    engine Coolant Inspect
    Radiator hoses inspection
    Reverse mechanism (SM5) adjust
    fault codes
    wheel sensor
    throttle bodies
    cables
    fuel filter
    spark plugs
    lighting components
    drive belt
    steering play and alighnment
    brake fluid
    parking brake
    front wheel nuts
    plastic fastners
    storage latch

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IndySpyder View Post
    It's important to note that if the 3,000 service wasn't done, they should do both the 3,000 and 6,000 mile service. Since there are specific services and checks for each service interval.
    If you go strictly by the maintenance schedule, the 3000 mile column should also be done at every 6000 mile interval. It's every 3000 miles; so, that's 3,000, 6,000, 9,000 and so on.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If you go strictly by the maintenance schedule, the 3000 mile column should also be done at every 6000 mile interval. It's every 3000 miles; so, that's 3,000, 6,000, 9,000 and so on.

I agree. So essentially, a 3000 mile check is done at every recommended service interval. I believe that BRP has changed the first recommended valve check from 6,000 miles to 12,000 miles but, since you have a maintenance agreement, all the work should be done at the dealer's expense so it wouldn't bother me if they did a valve check unless I was really pressed for time. By the way, valves are set with the engine dead cold so in order for them to do a valve check you would have to either trailer it in or ride the bike in the day before and let it sit over night and cool.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone; yes the 3,000 mile maintenance was done. I had planned to ride it over to the dealer (about an hour away), but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate, so may just trailer it over so if the want to check the valves, okay by me, since I do have a service agreement.

Spyder Garage

What they say above. I am waiting until 30,000 to have my valves looked at. Currently at 21,000 miles and counting.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 600 mile checkup

What do they check at 600mi ? Is the maitenance scheduale different for an RS compared to a RT? And what is maitenence schedule for the spyder?, if anyone knows.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smporter420 View Post
    What do they check at 600mi ? Is the maitenance scheduale different for an RS compared to a RT? And what is maitenence schedule for the spyder?, if anyone knows.
    The maintenance schedule is shown in your manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!