Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default mesh jacket or no jacket

I live in charlotte nc and wanted to know do most riders here or area ride with mesh jackets or no jackets at all?

Spyder Garage

Some protective gear is better than no gear IMO.

I ride with ATGATT.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm ATGATT myself. In summer, that includes a mesh jacket (unless it gets TOO hot-- then I just seal myself up with a chill towel in a regular textile jacket to keep from losing too much sweat).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default mesh

I ride with mesh as well.
    Stay Safe!

PaulB

2011 Orange/Black Spyder RS-S

Spyder Garage

In the sun, mesh is actually cooler than a t-shirt. It shades your body. A friend from Florida clued me in about that years ago, and made me a fan of mesh for life. In very, very hot weather, a cooling shirt (or wet long-sleeved t-shirt) under a standard textile jacket can be about the only way to keep cool. A jacket also slows dehydration. Try the mesh...you won't be sorry.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Summer Mesh

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I live in charlotte nc and wanted to know do most riders here or area ride with mesh jackets or no jackets at all?
    I purchased the Can Am summer mesh for my wife and I. We like it very much and it is comfortable. The jackets come with a removeable liner. We had a bit of a cold spell in February in South Florida and it got into the 40/50's. The jackets with liners were warm enough. In the summer, mesh can be too warm on the hottest days...and yes I did remove the liner. I would imagine that the summer mesh would work for northerners in Charlotte.

tompen

I wear a Tourmaster Intake Jacket. It is a mesh jacket with removable armour and an inner jacket, and liner. It works great here in upstate NY. You can add or remove the 3 layers during a ride as the weather changes. I won't say I have never without a jacket, but it would be the exception. While moving, I find the mesh more comfortable than a tee shirt. Sort of like riding in the shade.

Spyder Garage

Well I am from Old School and most will not be in agreement with what I have to say. When it is hot outside I don't wear any kind of jacket, in fact I wear a thin strap tank top so I can get as much sun as possible. Yes I understand if anything happens the road rash will be bad..... but I grew up on a Harley behind my Dad in the days when there was no such thing as a helmet. When I had my Harley my favorite helmet was my "novelty" helmet and again I rode with the tank tops in hot weather. On my Spyder I have (for the first time in my life) even gone to wearing shorts when it is really hot out. Did not think I would ever do that, but again with the Spyder I don't have the worries I did on the Harley (easier to go down, no protection on legs from rocks, hot pipes, etc.). And last but not least..... when in a no helmet state.... I don't wear one. I know lots of people will condem me for all of the above, but it is my way and there are lots of things other ryders to that I do not understand.

SpyderLady

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady View Post
    Well I am from Old School and most will not be in agreement with what I have to say. When it is hot outside I don't wear any kind of jacket, in fact I wear a thin strap tank top so I can get as much sun as possible. Yes I understand if anything happens the road rash will be bad..... but I grew up on a Harley behind my Dad in the days when there was no such thing as a helmet. When I had my Harley my favorite helmet was my "novelty" helmet and again I rode with the tank tops in hot weather. On my Spyder I have (for the first time in my life) even gone to wearing shorts when it is really hot out. Did not think I would ever do that, but again with the Spyder I don't have the worries I did on the Harley (easier to go down, no protection on legs from rocks, hot pipes, etc.). And last but not least..... when in a no helmet state.... I don't wear one. I know lots of people will condem me for all of the above, but it is my way and there are lots of things other ryders to that I do not understand.
    No condemnation. To each his own and I am right there with ya. Well,,, except for the tank top and shorts. LOL. Now that would be a site. SteveMac in shorts and a tank top.

Getting ready to go riding now! And I'll be in a t-shirt and wearing a very lightweight Lamode Thinsulate jacket I've had for years. Odd piece of clothing. Both cool and warm without changing anything. Not much good when temps get over 70 tho.

Spyder Garage

unless i am taking a cool off ryde after mowing the lawn or going to lunch in summer still drenched in sweat i always uise some form of jacket.
    if it is not a leather jacket then it is one with armor.
    i use mesh midsummer, so breathable it is crazy, and in Durham it does get a tad hot in summer.

dress how YOU feel comfortable and safe.
    KIP
    2011 RS-S

Spyder Garage

No condemnation here either. To each his/her own ride.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What ever floats your boat. However, I'm never without a brain bucket. As a former EMT/I I've been on to many MVA's involving bikers w/o helmets.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I wore a mesh jackets for long rides but on short rides and around town its shirt, pants, boots and usually my denim vest. Now that I'm on the spyder I do not forsee a change in this pattern. Always with a helmet when on the road. Everyone should ride their own ride to their confort level.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KipDM View Post
    i use mesh midsummer, so breathable it is crazy
    So, what brand would this amazingly breathable jacket be? I'm always looking for something cooler.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

I wear a mesh jacket when it is hot wih a under armor long sleeve tee underneath, dampened when hot. Mesh pants on long trips with shorts underneath. Always gloves. Always with the armor. Also to remember, my Doctor states is to protect the skin from the sun and wind. As I age the years of little protection from the elements, Viet Nam, 21 years Navy and mc and other outdoor activies since the 1950 s, are catching up. Skin cancers are starting to appear in my mc club as we pass 60. I had deep one taken off my right forearm in Dec. No brake lever kept me on the road with lessened grip while healing. I still cheat occasionally like when I am riding by the beach in Panama City, but in my heart I know that people are looking at my Spyder not an old man trying to appear cool.
    Stay cool.
    Jerry

Spyder Garage

Well I have to correct one thing. My DOT saved me yesterday. I will not be so fast to go helmet less in the future.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Well I have to correct one thing. My DOT saved me yesterday. I will not be so fast to go helmet less in the future.

-Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wear a JOE ROCKET Phoenix 11 Mesh jacket with armor. I tried riding once with out my mesh jacket on a very hot day last summer . I felt funny with out it on and was not as relaxed riding without it on. I always dress for the unexpected and if the unexpected happens I want as much protection as possible.

Spyder Garage

To each their own, but I believe in ATGATT. went for a few slides on the race track.
    When I think about no "stuff" I remember a lady rider (HD) who used to ride in the minimun amount of clothing a female could be seen in public with out getting arrested. Something ( unknown subtance) on a city street corner. She no longer rides and only goes out in public in high neck, long sleeve blouse, full lenght pants, full socks and shoes.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Amen!

Spyder Garage

I wear the JOE ROCKET mesh jacket ... Bought this summer mesh jacket with inner wind breaker that is removable . Then I realized my JOE ROCKET winter jacket is 3 in 1 . It has a nice mesh inner jacket but a little different .Both are 2011 versions and got them for 30% off - dealer was making room and wanted old stock out .
    Last edited by Dwanton; 06-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeb View Post
    I wear a mesh jacket when it is hot wih a under armor long sleeve tee underneath, dampened when hot. Mesh pants on long trips with shorts underneath. Always gloves. Always with the armor. Also to remember, my Doctor states is to protect the skin from the sun and wind. As I age the years of little protection from the elements, Viet Nam, 21 years Navy and mc and other outdoor activies since the 1950 s, are catching up. Skin cancers are starting to appear in my mc club as we pass 60. I had deep one taken off my right forearm in Dec. No brake lever kept me on the road with lessened grip while healing. I still cheat occasionally like when I am riding by the beach in Panama City, but in my heart I know that people are looking at my Spyder not an old man trying to appear cool.
    Stay cool.
    Jerry
    Here's a shirt you may want to try. I wear it with an under armor T shirt and between the two they wick away perspiration and keep the sun off.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/20471?feat=504190-GN2

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday the thermometer on the Spyder read 118 on my way home from our ride. I know this is not correct but it wasn't off by much. I wore a mesh jacket and I was comfortable.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yesterday the thermometer on the Spyder read 118 on my way home from our ride. I know this is not correct but it wasn't off by much. I wore a mesh jacket and I was comfortable.
    AND IT'S ONLY JUNE!!!! LOL

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Bruiser and I both have Firstgear jackets (thanks, Ron!) with liner. They are comfortable in the heat or cool, have removable armor. We don't wear shorts, whether on or off the bike, unless Bruiser is working outside lol!! Have gone with short sleeves, though, when it's been really hot, but do have to watch getting burned. Staying comfortable, and protected, is the way to go!