Spyder Garage

Default What is involved in wiring for a trailer?

Thinking about a trailer and see that most of them are the common flat 4 wire. Other than that, I have no idea what is involved in wiring the RT to accomodate a trailer. For example, any place that sells trailer accessories sell wiring harnesses that work with the flat 4 wire on a trailer. Can these be wired into the RT harness somewhere? Or is there a special harness that only works with the RT? If some of you could give me an idea I'd apprec it.

If I get past the wiring, I'd prob go with the Canadian hitch that runs about $250. Theres a couple of trailers locally that I'd want to look at that doesn't cost an arm and leg as this is not something that I'd use a lot.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

There is a newer Harness that I thin accommodates a four wire lighting system. But that was available after I did mine.

I have a pretty detailed schematic in my mods post (link in my signature below) or go to SteveMac mods: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d.php?p=395291

My diagram assumes separate brake and signal lights on a five wire plug. Was pretty easy to do. Good luck!
    Last edited by SteveMac; 03-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

You might be able to use a Hopkins converter and wire with a flat-4, but I don't know of anyone that has had success with that on an RT. The converters often don't work with vehicle/trailers with LED lighting. The RT also has no good way to get the flat-4 pigtaile to the outside, without cutting a hole in your bodywork. There is no flat-4 bulkhead connector that I am aware of.

If you elect to go with the BRP hitch & harness, this post should tell you what you need to know.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer harness.

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Thinking about a trailer and see that most of them are the common flat 4 wire. Other than that, I have no idea what is involved in wiring the RT to accomodate a trailer. For example, any place that sells trailer accessories sell wiring harnesses that work with the flat 4 wire on a trailer. Can these be wired into the RT harness somewhere? Or is there a special harness that only works with the RT? If some of you could give me an idea I'd apprec it.

If I get past the wiring, I'd prob go with the Canadian hitch that runs about $250. Theres a couple of trailers locally that I'd want to look at that doesn't cost an arm and leg as this is not something that I'd use a lot.
    A got my harness at auto parts only $45 dolares, is simple the harness you got to look for is european harness has the wire for parking, brake, and 2 signals and you be done for less money. I had may for over 1 year and working fine you can do man. good lock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an 08 gs sm5. needed help with trailer wiring as well. Was suggested to use the hopkins 5-4 wire harness . not sure if the RT would be the same but mine works beautifully. Also I got the CANADIAN HITCH. Shhhhhhh do not tell BRP, as my bike is not supposed to have a hitch. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    I have an 08 gs sm5. needed help with trailer wiring as well. Was suggested to use the hopkins 5-4 wire harness . not sure if the RT would be the same but mine works beautifully. Also I got the CANADIAN HITCH. Shhhhhhh do not tell BRP, as my bike is not supposed to have a hitch. Good luck.
    The converter works OK on the RS, but it has incandescant taillights. Not sure if the LEDS on the RT have enough load to trigger the relays. On an RT, I would also be careful of the load. Best to use a powered, isolating converter if you use one. The BRP trailer connector has the powered isolator/convertor module built in.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SCOTTY IS DA MAN!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, sorry to bother you with a lot of questions, but if I get the harness you listed here: """To connect a Spyder RT to a 4-pole trailer you need to purchase the 2011/2012 RT-622 Pole Harness (P/N 710002442)""" does that plug into the existing RT wiring somewhere, or is that something I'd need the shop to wire in? Is that harness essentially all that is needed?

Spyder Garage

I used a Hopkins 5 to 4 powered converter on my 08 GS, tapped in in front of the triple play, worked for me.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Scotty, sorry to bother you with a lot of questions, but if I get the harness you listed here: """To connect a Spyder RT to a 4-pole trailer you need to purchase the 2011/2012 RT-622 Pole Harness (P/N 710002442)""" does that plug into the existing RT wiring somewhere, or is that something I'd need the shop to wire in? Is that harness essentially all that is needed?
    That is used only to connect to the 9-pin BRP trailer wiring harness which comes with the factory hitch. If you use an alternate method for wiring the Spyder, you will have to match that, instead.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!