Thread: Best Battery?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Best Battery?

I have a Spyder RS and im adding a stereo. Whats the best battery out there to handle the extra drain?

Spyder Garage

Adding a battery, or replacing the original with a bigger battery (good luck with that), will not allow you to run a bigger amp...it will just make the battery run down a bit later. Every vehicle has a certain amount of amperage available for accessories, and all the batteries in the world can't change that. Since you can't put in a bigger alternator (magneto), you are stuck with the same capacity no matter what you do.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I think you could run a second battery with an isolator, that way the stereo is fed only from the spare and will not drain the main battery but the charging system will still charge it. If you draw too much only the spare battery will get dragged down. Isolators are often sold at RV stores like Camping world. It allows current only to go in one direction so current will flow in to charge but nothing flows to the main wireing system. The radio/amp must be wired directly to the second battery. A deep cycle battery may be a better choice as they take deep discharge better than stock batteries.

Good luck with it.

Randy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I think you could run a second battery with an isolator, that way the stereo is fed only from the spare and will not drain the main battery but the charging system will still charge it. If you draw too much only the spare battery will get dragged down. Isolators are often sold at RV stores like Camping world. It allows current only to go in one direction so current will flow in to charge but nothing flows to the main wireing system. The radio/amp must be wired directly to the second battery. A deep cycle battery may be a better choice as they take deep discharge better than stock batteries.

Good luck with it.

Randy
    Yes, you could certainly do that, but it would not increase the amount of juice available to the stereo in any way.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My stereo comes with its own battery. I put in ear speakers turn up sound and Ipod does the rest.

Spyder Garage

Default The back of envelope numbers

On the RS the output on the magneto is limited to 40 amps. I cannot find the spec that tells me at what rpm that is reached but the test specs call for the tests to be done at 4,000 rpm. So the max has to be less then that. Off the top of my head the basic uses when engine running (engine control module, lights and battery recharge) will draw about 20 to 22 amps. The dynamic power steering will draw a max of 20 amps but that is for extremely short periods of time you could likely count on a average draw of 5 amps. That would leave about 13 amps for your add ons. To be on the safe side I would not count on more then 10 amps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    My stereo comes with its own battery. I put in ear speakers turn up sound and Ipod does the rest.

And if the battery dies, your Spyder will still run!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My wife has been running an 100w amp/radio/SD card slot/whatever else with speakers on her 08 RS with the original battery for over a year and has had no problems with it. Oh, except for the time she FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF!
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Default output peak

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    My wife has been running an 100w amp/radio/SD card slot/whatever else with speakers on her 08 RS with the original battery for over a year and has had no problems with it. Oh, except for the time she FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF!
    Audio amps are rated at peak output and some fantasy factor. At full volume some peaks in the output, for a few milliseconds, will reach a 100 watts. In real world use, running at half volume, the amp will only use on averge about half of it's output rated power as input power. So assuming average 50 watt input that is only 4 amps. The spyder can handle that without problem.

Spyder Garage

Default lowest draw

you might want to consider an amp that is somewhat low draw. i use the dwg waterproof speaker system. it has its own small amp. it's a two speaker system. for what it is ,it's ok. i forget the exact draw but it isn't much. that ,coupled with a car head unit in the trunk makes for a decent system .it's supposed to be 100 watts, but i seriously doubt it. all in all i would call it good.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEREO'S

I bought an el cheapo SHARK 250 watt (bs) with 2 waterproof pod speakers ..FM...MP-3 ...$125 delivered....annnnnnd it has a wired remote which is way cool..it fits on the opposite side of the fuses at the top of the frunk ..dry and out of the way......and the damn thing really ROCKS.....plays way louder than I need even at 65 mph....Best thing I have bought for the .....Mike......

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You have to see a battery as you would see a bank checking account. You can only take out as much as you put in. The trick is to have a larger capacity alternator with its larger voltage regulator and then a larger capacity storage battery. That means a bigger (in dimension) size battery. I can't imagine where you would put a bigger battery in a Spyder and I wonder if there is a larger output alternator with its voltage regulator for a Can Am 998 cc engine. I did all that to my Harley side car very successfully. But I had to use the left side case to hold the automotive battery.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Adding a battery, or replacing the original with a bigger battery (good luck with that), will not allow you to run a bigger amp...it will just make the battery run down a bit later. Every vehicle has a certain amount of amperage available for accessories, and all the batteries in the world can't change that. Since you can't put in a bigger alternator (magneto), you are stuck with the same capacity no matter what you do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    You have to see a battery as you would see a bank checking account. You can only take out as much as you put in. The trick is to have a larger capacity alternator with its larger voltage regulator and then a larger capacity storage battery. That means a bigger (in dimension) size battery. I can't imagine where you would put a bigger battery in a Spyder and I wonder if there is a larger output alternator with its voltage regulator for a Can Am 998 cc engine. I did all that to my Harley side car very successfully. But I had to use the left side case to hold the automotive battery.
    Very good analogy, Arthur. Thanks for finding the words to explain simply and elegantly.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default battery hook up i use

i went with the oddesy for my main battery lamont talked about i have the jl audio package 400 watt system installed i used a opec battery isolator and im running a blue Kinetik HC600 Power Cell batter battery
    and a Odyssey PC680 Battery for my main battery both have quick connet cords for fast charging i use the CTEK MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Universal Battery Charger w/ Pulse Maintenance and Backup Power and i have the indicators on there to let you know your battery status CTEK 56-380 Comfort Indicator Panel will keep you updated

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default second battery loction

Quote Originally Posted by nphilly View Post
    i went with the oddesy for my main battery lamont talked about i have the jl audio package 400 watt system installed i used a opec battery isolator and im running a blue Kinetik HC600 Power Cell batter battery
    and a Odyssey PC680 Battery for my main battery both have quick connet cords for fast charging i use the CTEK MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Universal Battery Charger w/ Pulse Maintenance and Backup Power and i have the indicators on there to let you know your battery status CTEK 56-380 Comfort Indicator Panel will keep you updated
    do ur lo batt light ever come on and do u have any storage space left in trunk?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default second battery location

no batt light dont come on have a smart isolator hooked up
    i have the jl audio package kenitics battery in the fronyt next to the sub woofer it fits perfectly also i charge it every night and when i'm not ridding i keep the odessy on a ctek charger works good