Spyder Garage

Default Where is the best place to mount a camera?

We just picked up a Go Pro Hero II camera...now we're fiddling around with where to mount the camera to avoid the bike's vibration. Where are most of you putting your camcorders? On you or the bike? Thanks for your input.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a pic in this thread showing where the best spot seems to be for me. Minimal vibration.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...d.php?p=423269
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

RS or RT?

I have an RS. And it all varies on what kind of shot you want. I found a good spot under the mirror on the 'Amtrak' side panel using the suction cup. Held up under 85 mph on the Spyder and it had minimal vibe since the A-arms take the shock from the road. I would load a short video, but need to get a new video editing program to shorten my vids up.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to both of you for your suggestions. (In answer to your question, we've got an GS/RS). Ed had already noticed the photo in the Hoover Dam video thread...I didn't watch the video until after posting the question, unfortunately. We're riding on the Daytona Speedway track next week as part of BRP's Bike Week events...wanted a camera mount that would work ok for that. We were impressed with how little vibration was apparent in the video.
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocRags View Post
    Thank you to both of you for your suggestions. (In answer to your question, we've got an GS/RS). Ed had already noticed the photo in the Hoover Dam video thread...I didn't watch the video until after posting the question, unfortunately. We're riding on the Daytona Speedway track next week as part of BRP's Bike Week events...wanted a camera mount that would work ok for that. We were impressed with how little vibration was apparent in the video.
    A big, big tip.... The less links you use in any of the mounts (especially the suction mount), the less vibration you will get. If you have to use a lot of links to get the shot you want, you might want to reconsider the mounting point.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

If you get the #808 Keychain Camera #16 you can place it anywhere there is a velcro strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have the GoPro HD Hero (not the II). It's been mounted all over my GS with the suction cup mount, with a ram mount, and an adaptiv mount (which was supposed to provide extra isolation from vibration; what a waste of money- $75). You name it and I mounted it there. There was some vibration no matter where it was mounted on the spyder.

The best place where there was no vibration was helmet mounted. When mounted on the helmet it is not in a 'static' location, which I liked; if you want a different view, you move your head.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have the GoPro HD Hero (not the II). It's been mounted all over my GS with the suction cup mount, with a ram mount, and an adaptiv mount (which was supposed to provide extra isolation from vibration; what a waste of money- $75). You name it and I mounted it there. There was some vibration no matter where it was mounted on the spyder.

The best place where there was no vibration was helmet mounted. When mounted on the helmet it is not in a 'static' location, which I liked; if you want a different view, you move your head.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife just got me the Drift HD 170. It has a remote control rec and stop remote that straps to the handle bars. I like it so much that I ordered a second one for rear facing video during our spyderfest runs this year. I'm mounting a forward facing one on my helmet for part of the ride while the other cam will be suction cupped to the rear trunk.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder 5 Team Member MickeyFisher's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I seem to get the least vibration when I suction it down really hard to the frunk. I agree with the helmet mounted advice too, but I find that for me, it's still a bit wobbly.

Spyder Garage

I fix it on the back-handlebars .. very few vibrations ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Yeah, me too, here's a video I posted not long ago:
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a RT, and on it using the suction cup, I get very little vibration on the side engine covers under the mirrors. I also placed an adhesive mount on the left mirror, thought this would have some vibration but it wasn't bad. The biggest thing I noticed is avoid the extra links when you can, they increase the vibration. You can see examples on my youtube channel www.YouTube.com/lifeisadaydream (shameless plug) The video Spyder in the Gila started with the camera on the left mirror then to the right engine cover.

Spyder Garage

In the bedroom!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've got a drift mounted on the helmet thinking it offers more flexibility when being mobile...I was looking on the net and found this video that was helmet mounted...check it out...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/166367/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    In the bedroom!
    I do NOT need anyone giving Erags ideas...we picked up a chest mount yesterday for Erags to wear and we're planning on checking it out on today's ride. No suction mount available at the exchange, so the "chesty" was the only thing there that we hadn't tried (other than the adhesive mounting device). The wrist mount didn't seem to make any sense since the camera direction would be incorrect (and there was no way to change it). If I was taller we could have it on my helmet (Since I'm a bit vertically challenged a camera on my helmet would just show the back of Erags' helmet). We've still got a week to figure it out...thanks, again, for the input from everyone.
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale