Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default jackndon from OZ / deisel oil ?

Hi Has anyone tried using a good quality deisel oil in the RT engine, a forum for kawasaki cruisers has a lot of pleased riders using this type of oil in the US, its a lot cheaper, I used it in my cruiser and had no problems, most said it made the engine run quieter, something I could do with because I find quite a bit of top end hi pitched rattle, made worse I suppose by the body work, I just have to wear ear plugs if I do not have my full face visor on. any idea's before I do the next oil change would be great. hear is something to think on, I leased a new no mileage turbo deisel Citroen, when I asked them if it required a service in a few weeks, they said no, the first service is at 20,000klm I covered 8000klms in six weeks no problems, so why are bikes having so many services and throwing away perfectly good oil, cars in Europe have for years been covering 10,000 miles between servicing, and some of their bikes are the same. in Australia it can be 1,500klm 6,000klm 12,000klm I take the perfectly good oil out of the bikes and put it in my PT Cruiser no problems, just a thought WHY. all the best Don

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default oil

I used 15/40 oil for diesel in my Goldwing all the time. But on the Spyder I am going to use Amsoil 10/40 MC oil when I do my 1st oil change, and will most likely run it for 6000 miles. I'm getting a pretty good price on the Amsoil from someone on this forum.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default Rotella

Used Shell Rotella in the GoldWings and the scooters. Now use in the Spyder and oil consumption has improved dramatically. Runs relatively quiet and shifts the same as with synthetic blend. Looking to go with Amsoil if I can find a decent price. Hint hint. Oh, didn't notice, but what flavour Spyder are you talking about that seems to make all the racket?

Quietly, Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Patrick, are you using the dino Rotella, or synthetic Rotella (T6) which is 5W-40? I've been using Amsoil, and as a preferred customer still pay over $9 qt. When it gets near the 4K mark, prob about 3500, I'm going to draw out a sample and have an oil analysis done. Unless the test shows that Amsoil is good for 4K or more, I'm going to try the Rotella T6 and then do a sample on it for comparison.

If you're interested in testing your oil, you can get WIX prepaid oil test kits at Amazon for about $16. Buy two and shipping is free. Wix and NAPA are the same, I'm told, but my local NAPA wanted about $20 for one kit.

Don, you're right that a lot of big bike owners in the U.S., many with wet clutches, use Rotella or Delo diesel oils and their oil analysis generally show good results. If you give it a try, let us know what you think later on. I'll also post the results of the above mentioned oil analysis when I have it done.

Spyder Garage

Default Dino Rotella

Due to a formulation change, the T6 Rotella is no longer suitable for wet clutches. At least that's what I gleaned from Goldwing sites. So, dino it is and always has been. Meanwhile back at the oil analysis, by all means I would like to know how the Amsoil holds up. Now, where is that $9 oil?

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    Due to a formulation change, the T6 Rotella is no longer suitable for wet clutches. At least that's what I gleaned from Goldwing sites. So, dino it is and always has been. Meanwhile back at the oil analysis, by all means I would like to know how the Amsoil holds up. Now, where is that $9 oil?

Patrick
    Please realize that straight dino oil does not meet BRP's specification for the Spyder. While it may hold up well and be a fine oil, if you had an engine failure they could deny your warranty claim. It is up to you to decide if you want to take that risk.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!