Spyder Garage

Default Any way to beef up amps available?

I'm about to install a new JBL MS-A1004 AMP. I dont want to drag down the system.
    Scotty tells me that a second battery wotn necessarily help.

Surely something can be done. Surely somebody has done it.
    Do tell all please!
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    I'm about to install a new JBL MS-A1004 AMP. I dont want to drag down the system.
    Scotty tells me that a second battery wotn necessarily help.

Surely something can be done. Surely somebody has done it.
    Do tell all please!
    Strap a Honda generator where the passenger normally rides or build racks for solar panels. Other than that, you're pretty much stuck with what the Spyder puts out.

Scotty is right, an auxillary battery will just put off the inevidable a little longer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know very little on this subject but I was wondering if an 12VDC>120AC convertor?/inverter? can be used for anything on the bike? Watching TV, making coffee, and other nonsense stuff. Is the draw too much for the bike compared to a car? I bought one from Costco out of speculation and have never used it yet.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I know very little on this subject but I was wondering if an 12VDC>120AC convertor?/inverter? can be used for anything on the bike? Watching TV, making coffee, and other nonsense stuff. Is the draw too much for the bike compared to a car? I bought one from Costco out of speculation and have never used it yet.
    Inverters have loss. They have cooling fins. Guess why that is.... because they get hot, guess how that happens! Of course you can use an inverter anywhere you have a 12v power supply. But the Spyder is not designed to be a power generator (though it does do that). Assuming that you will not be riding down the freeway while you're watching TV and making coffee, we are talking battery only as the power source. Not a good idea.

Spyder Garage

Default Power

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    In general Power In = Power Out (with some loss due primarily to heat production). Power = Voltage x Current. A 120 Watt inverter would put out 12V at 10Amps. This would still have to come from the power train of the Spyder. But at 970Watt(as I recall) output of the Alternator should be enough. If my 970Watt figure is correct (I'll check later) then the current that can be delivered by the alternator is about 81Amps minus losses (970/12=80.8). This should run just about anything you could plug in including your 120V AC devices. Just remember not to exceed the wiring/fuse capacities. You prolly can't actually draw 81 Amps because of losses, you would deplete the battery pretty quick and wires would get pretty hot, probably start a fire.
    PS Scotty will undoubtedly check my figures.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    In general Power In = Power Out (with some loss due primarily to heat production). Power = Voltage x Current. A 120 Watt inverter would put out 12V at 10Amps. This would still have to come from the power train of the Spyder. But at 970Watt(as I recall) output of the Alternator should be enough. If my 970Watt figure is correct (I'll check later) then the current that can be delivered by the alternator is about 81Amps minus losses (970/12=80.8). This should run just about anything you could plug in including your 120V AC devices. Just remember not to exceed the wiring/fuse capacities. You prolly can't actually draw 81 Amps because of losses, you would deplete the battery pretty quick and wires would get pretty hot, probably start a fire.
    PS Scotty will undoubtedly check my figures.
    PPS My bad The alternator output of the RT is 650 Watts. This means that the maximum current is 54.2Amps. Still enough to run just about anything you want.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    PPS My bad The alternator output of the RT is 650 Watts. This means that the maximum current is 54.2Amps. Still enough to run just about anything you want.
    650 watts at what RPM? Certainly not at idle. So you'll have to set your throttle at some higher RPM the entire time your making your coffee or watching TV.

Good luck!

arntufun

I use a small 75 watt power inverter all the time to convert D/C to A/C to power Bose speakers for my MP3 player. We use it while the Spyder off, It works fine and never had any issues. The Speakers doesn't draw to many amps, but it must use some juice for the invertor because there is a small fan that runs when I plug it in.

I have a 2008 and I still have the original battery.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    650 watts at what RPM? Certainly not at idle. So you'll have to set your throttle at some higher RPM the entire time your making your coffee or watching TV.

Good luck!

Probably wouldn't be a problem at an idle if the Spyder had an alternator, Instead of a Magneto.
    The Spyder's Magneto needs at least 4 thousand RPMs to put out 650W.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEREO EXPECTATIONS

GET REAL....THIS IS A SPYDER....IT HAS A PURPOSE AND ITS NOT TO POWER UP A SMALL CITY OR THE PHILADELPHIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA IN 7 CHANNEL SURROUND SOUND.....WHY DO YOU EVEN ASK THIS TYPE OF QUESTION...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.....DON'T WE SPYDERLOVER'S HAVE ENOUGH GENUINE REALISTIC CONCERNS THAT MAY ACTUALLY HAVE A SOLUTION WITHIN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY.?????????????.......MY RANT IS DONE....PROCEED...MIKE...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;422743]GET REAL....THIS IS A SPYDER....IT HAS A PURPOSE AND ITS NOT TO POWER UP A SMALL CITY OR THE PHILADELPHIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA IN 7 CHANNEL SURROUND SOUND.....WHY DO YOU EVEN ASK THIS TYPE OF QUESTION...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.....DON'T WE SPYDERLOVER'S HAVE ENOUGH GENUINE REALISTIC CONCERNS THAT MAY ACTUALLY HAVE A SOLUTION WITHIN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY.?????????????.......MY RANT IS DONE....PROCEED...MIKE...

Shouting again. XXXX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    GET REAL....THIS IS A SPYDER....IT HAS A PURPOSE AND ITS NOT TO POWER UP A SMALL CITY OR THE PHILADELPHIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA IN 7 CHANNEL SURROUND SOUND.....WHY DO YOU EVEN ASK THIS TYPE OF QUESTION...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.....DON'T WE SPYDERLOVER'S HAVE ENOUGH GENUINE REALISTIC CONCERNS THAT MAY ACTUALLY HAVE A SOLUTION WITHIN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY.?????????????.......MY RANT IS DONE....PROCEED...MIKE...
    You really need to get that Keyboard FIXED!

People want to do things with their Spyders and not everyone knows the limits of the machine, so they ask. For those who know the Spyder better it may seem a foolish question, but if we know the answer then we give out the information.

Once a person has good information they will probably make a good decision. That's what it's all about. We shouldn't get on them for asking. There is only 1 person that knows everything about everything! (And I know where this will go from here but I'll let someone else say it)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default power needs

i apologize....but I had already sent him a PM about the stereo situation.and spyder power situation........and notice no caps......mike..............

Spyder Garage

Just another bit about the math... 12V isn't really 12V most of the time. It should be closer to 13.8V when moving. Might be around 12V idle, haven't checked recently.

So 650W/12V=54A, but 650W/13.8V=47A. And then there's all the other things that might be using juice...

Buy a portable power source of some sort. http://www.powerstream.com/BP-23.htm
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    i apologize....but I had already sent him a PM about the stereo situation.and spyder power situation........and notice no caps......mike..............
    Well now, that is a horse of a different color then....

No caps is nice!

Spyder Garage

Easy fix. Get a trailer for the RT put a big 12V battery in it and then put a windmill on top with solar panels to charge the battery and wire the amp to it. Maybe the government will pay for it.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default stereos

some of us really love our stereos.as a well known spyderlover once said '' i like to force feed my musical taste on to everyone around me'' or something to that effect, to which i say ''+1" all the kids say, look at the old dude on that crazy bike with the bumpin tunes.
    Last edited by coz; 03-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

The early Spyders magneito had a speckled output of 400 watts, that is a total of 33.333 Amps @ 12 Volts. If you are wonder what a magneto is, it is nearly identical to an automotive alternator except it is driven by a gear in the motor instead of a belt. The later Spyders had a larger magneto and I believe it was rated at 500 watts which is 41.666 Amps. I still dont know how much current it takes for the system. But going to LED lighting can free up some power.

Spyder Garage

Waay old post CLH! PM sent.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!