Thread: Summer pants

Spyder Garage

Default Summer pants

OK the subject of Summer jackets has great coverage. How about protective pants for the hot Summers here is the South?

Spyder Garage

look into the kevlar padded pants. I wear Draggin jeans and Slider's jeans. the Sliders are a little cheaper and thinner.....both have protective kevlar at the rear and knees.

Spyder Garage

There are a few different ways motorcycle gear manufactures approach this application. Mesh pants with armor is one of the more popular answers. They tend to give you the most of both worlds. There are others that look less tech and more down home like the specially made jeans. You give up some cooling and protection but the look may suit you better.

Like everything else, decide what aspects are most important to you and someone will have something that caters to that area.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Mesh overpants. I use FirstGear, but there are numerous brands.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Draggin jeans look promising... How heavy are they when compared to the mesh offerings?
    Me in mesh would put too many people off their appetite!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Mesh overpants. I use FirstGear, but there are numerous brands.

We wear the FirstGear mesh jacket & pants all summer long.

Don't leave home without it.

- Bob

2014 Spyder Ltd. Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

We do not have many hot days here (over 70) in the Anchorage area. When It is hot I have the kevlar lined jeans.

Not real good protection with these IMO.

I also sometimes wear regular blue jeans and motorcycle chaps. They give protection around the legs from abrasion and allow some airflow to the buttocks and front.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I just wear regular jeans in the summer.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear regular jeans most of the time. Gotta get into the 40s before I consider using my over pants.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

I've got a few of the discontinued Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 pants in size 36 & 38 left for $79.00 and 1 size 42 for $99 delivered. Of course I've got all the current Firstgear products including the current Mesh-Tex pants in all sizes..

These discontinued Mesh-Tex 2.0 pants are a heavier balistic material with better armor than the new version. Let me give you a hint, just because a product is discontinued does not mean it is inferior. Sometimes the discontinued stuff is very good!

They will not be quite as cool as the ligher weigh version but the difference insn't much, especally when you're riding, and they will give you better protection. This is the version I wear.

First pair is the Mesh-Tex 2.0. 2nd set is the latest version Mesh-Tex pant, which I sell for $155.00 delivered (which I think you will find to be a great deal) to the 48 US States. As always, I will ship world wide.

Last edited by BajaRon; 03-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Draggin jeans look promising... How heavy are they when compared to the mesh offerings?
    Me in mesh would put too many people off their appetite!
    Bob,

I have the Draggin Jeans (US version). There's also the Australian version, which is not related. The Draggin Jeans are a bit heavier than regular jeans and when you have the armour installed in the knees and hips a bit bulky. The kevlar is only in the hips and knees, the slide points in case you are unlucky enough to go for a skid.

I have the Mesh-Tex pant (latest version) that I purchased from Ron last year. I wanted something that didn't look like overpants. I like them and switch between them and the Draggin Jeans during the summer. Ron may not agree, but the Mesh-Tex (latest version) run a size small; so, just keep that in mind for what it's worth. I know if I would have contacted Ron, he would have exchanged them; but, I went a different route.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

I like my original version Mesh-Tex pants. They are plenty cool, yet sturdy and safe. I'm not sure why many manufacturers have decided to get rid of the reflective piping and patches on their pants, but they have made a huge mistake, IMO. I will not but safety gear or rain gear without good reflective qualities.

Just a word to those who don't wear protective pants...or don't don it until it gets cold. Road rash on your lower extremeties hurts just as bad or worse than on your upper body. Try sitting on a raw caboose after a slide! You'll likely be standing for a month. I still have some gravel occasionally come to the surface of my hip from being foolish enough not to wear protective gear some 44 years ago. Lesson learned! Road rash isn't something to be worshipped and adored!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

+1
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Bob,
    I have the Mesh-Tex pant (latest version) that I purchased from Ron last year. I wanted something that didn't look like overpants. I like them and switch between them and the Draggin Jeans during the summer. Ron may not agree, but the Mesh-Tex (latest version) run a size small; so, just keep that in mind for what it's worth. I know if I would have contacted Ron, he would have exchanged them; but, I went a different route.
    The new Mesh-Tex pants do run a bit small. I was not aware of this when I sold you these but that is never an excuse. The previous Mesh-Tex 2.0 ran very true to size and foolishly, I assumed the new version would be the same.