Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaarrrrrgh!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Aaarrrrrgh!!

Well now I'm just a bit ticked off...
    Last year I went through HELL getting the top trunk and side storage warning light to work if a lid was loose. Between being able to get TO the jumper and then get it in the right place; it took me over a week to get it right...
    Since they re-assembled my bike; it don't work no more!!! They probably ignored the "non-standard" location of my homemade jumper, and just put the plugs back where the book says they go...
    Well that just tears it; I'll let my NEW dealer monkey with it when I get them under the Tupperware for a valve-check at a future date...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The time for you to be ticked off was long overdue friend. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can almost understand it... They probably just put the jumper where the book said to...
    It's just that I had such a time getting it moved to where I wanted it...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, Your saga is getting to look like the old serial The Perils of Pauline,
    Watch out for the train.
    All kidding aside, You have more control than i have , I would have cut and run a long time ago.
    Been there done that.

Spyder Garage

I new there was someting going on when I read the title. Sorry to hear about the glitch. Keep us posted. You have been way more low key about this than I would have.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Bob, Your saga is getting to look like the old serial The Perils of Pauline...
    It's a wee bit worse than that for me. Where I live a jumper is a garment knitted out of oddments by your color-blind granny and you wear it whenever she visits or you end up with sore legs. It's a day for staying indoors.

Short version is I really don't know what the hell Bob is talking about, 'cept I can see he's all riled up, so for a happy man like him to lose it I guess it's serious.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took my Spyder in for service and they reconnected the fuel and temp gauges that I had disconnected. So now I make sure to let them know that this was intentional on my part. I guess you should have given them a list of your modifications.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    It's a wee bit worse than that for me. Where I live a jumper is a garment knitted out of oddments by your color-blind granny and you wear it whenever she visits or you end up with sore legs. It's a day for staying indoors.

Short version is I really don't know what the hell Bob is talking about, 'cept I can see he's all riled up, so for a happy man like him to lose it I guess it's serious.
    Sorry...

Under the switching that's up on top of the RT's Bodywork, there's a block of electrical connections... They have a short connector that can be moved between the different terminals; depending on what you want to have working on the bike. On the RT A&C models, they had this connection set up so that it was irrelevant; it managed to be doikng nothing. BUT... you could move it to a different position to give you the additional function of a warning light in your instrument panel if a lid wasn't shut properly... I had turned that on, and they just shut it back off!
    Don't you just love Grandmothers???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VALVE CHECK

Bob you're going to get the VALVES checked, you must be FRIGGIN RICH ..................and I'm glad for YOU........Mike................................

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's actually worth almost ANYTHING to not have to tackle that set of switches again...
    I can justify it to the Missus that way...

Spyder Garage

Jeez Bob....if it weren't for bad luck.........! Sorry to hear this man.

I think they should have made a drawing of the wiring and put it back the way you had it, but that's just me.

That NEW guy you mentioned might not be such a bad idea.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The new isn't in PA. is he.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...you could move it to a different position to give you the additional function of a warning light in your instrument panel if a lid wasn't shut properly... I had turned that on, and they just shut it back off!
    There's no missing your consternation, and rightly so, Bob, BUT my 2011 RT is jumped (is that the correct verb?) to show an open lid on the display by default, exactly what you went to such trouble to have on your machine. Why would BRP have the unclosed lid warning facility unjumped, having included it in the RT wiring in the 1st place? Very strange behaviour, I think.

Don't you just love Grandmothers???
    Yeah, my favorite one had a few straggly white hairs on her chin and my mother noticed me staring at them one day. After the Old One had departed she told me it was impolite to stare and I wasn't ever to do it again. The next time she showed up I kept my eyes off of her face. She always had a few sweets about her person for my little brother and me and when she invited me to take one from the paper bag in her hand she whispered, "Have you lost interest in my hairy chin, Geoffrey?'

It wasn't until much later in life during my first visit to a strip club that I discovered that there are no absolutes where good manners are concerned. Staring was expected.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 03-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,

Spyder Garage

Bob, no surprises as far as I can see. If they had to replace the wiring harness, they would have had the same problem again, unless BRP changed their build sheets and specs. As I recall, you lost the original jumper and inserted a wire jumper. If they used the same harness, they may have discarded the jumper as an unknown...or it could have even been knocked loose in the accident. This is one of the hidden perils in correcting a warranty problem yourself...the dealer never learns how things are supposed to be.

Think of it this way...you can probably do the job in halfthe time with half the amount of cuss words this time around.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks; but the Missus got nervous when that blue streak started and forbade the use of those words in any County in which she resides...
    I can understand HOW it happened; I just don't like THAT it happened. It's not entirely their fault for this one; I should have pointed out this modification to them when I dropped off the bike!

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks; but the Missus got nervous when that blue streak started and forbade the use of those words in any County in which she resides...
    I can understand HOW it happened; I just don't like THAT it happened. It's not entirely their fault for this one; I should have pointed out this modification to them when I dropped off the bike!
    Keep on keeping on Bob!! Hopefully your problems will be just a bad memory in the very near future.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?30140-So-is-the-Cargo-Door-Open-a-j

I found this from another thread.....

There's a jumper mis-wired.
    This misplaced jumper causes the "Rear Cargo Door Open" not to be displayed and the useless air shock graphic to be displayed on the multifunction display.

It drove me nuts until I tracked down the bad jumper.

Here's how to fix it:
    The jumper is located under the switch blank in the row of switches controlling the Brake/Hood Release and Heated Grips.

The block is under the fourth cover over if you count the Brake/Hood Release as #1.
    It's actually where the rocker switch for the power air shock thingee would be if we lived in the high rent RT-S district.

Use a small screwdriver as a pry bar, be careful not to scratch the plastic around it.
    Pull the cover off with your fingers. It can be a bit tight if it's never been removed.

You'll see a switch block hanging there.

The jumper is a white plastic block that plugs into the connector block.
    It should have the jumper across two terminal holes in the block.
    The correct location of the jumper should be between #3 & #6

For some reason the numbers go

9 6 5 4 7

10 3 2 1 8

To help you in identification Pin 9 & 4 do not have terminals in them. They are blank.

My jumper was between 4 & 1.

When re-installing the switch blank make certain the switch block is locked into the blank before you push it all the way down.

In a related note -
    Most of these Spyders also left the factory without the passenger heated grips connected.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember all of that...
    Have you ever tried to remove one of those covers?? I had 2 members here trying to talk me through it and it was a real pain in the . After I destroyed the cover... Steve sent me one that he had removed as a replacement. Roger talked me through the placing of the jumper. Trouble is; that block is located just far enough down in a hole that you can't get to it! I ended up borrowing a couple of forceps; one to grab and stabilize the block,m and one to move the jumper... But it wasn't a pleasant time in the Denman household while the bike was apart...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you ever tried to remove one of those covers?? I had 2 members here trying to talk me through it and it was a real pain in the . After I destroyed the cover... Steve sent me one that he had removed as a replacement. Roger talked me through the placing of the jumper. Trouble is; that block is located just far enough down in a hole that you can't get to it! I ended up borrowing a couple of forceps; one to grab and stabilize the block,m and one to move the jumper... But it wasn't a pleasant time in the Denman household while the bike was apart...

Bob, I'm thinking the next bike you get should be a Naked one.
    Not you the only the bike! [please]

Spyder Garage

Just something to consider Bob, I got some 12" hemo-stats, one curved and one straight, off ebay for about $15 for the pair....use them constantly. Might be worth it for you to have some around.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    Just something to consider Bob, I got some 12" hemo-stats, one curved and one straight, off ebay for about $15 for the pair....use them constantly. Might be worth it for you to have some around.
    What he said!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yol Bolsun View Post
    What he said!
    We'll not inquire as to why the tips are blackened
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Have you ever tried to remove one of those covers??
    Attached is a photo of the Carling tool which does two jobs. The U-shaped end removes the actuator, or rocker part of the switch.

The other end gets shoved down the narrow side of the switch, (you need 2 of these tools, one for each side). The switch or switch blank is then removed from the top. The tools work together to compress the catches which are holding the switch, or blank, in position.

carling-switch-tool.jpg
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 03-05-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Attached is a photo of the Carling tool which does two jobs. The U-shaped end removes the actuator, or rocker part of the switch.

The other end gets shoved down the narrow side of the switch, (you need 2 of these tools, one for each side). The switch or switch blank is then removed from the top. The tools work together to compress the catches which are holding the switch, or blank, in position.

carling-switch-tool.jpg
    Where have you been all of my life???

Spyder Garage

Where have you been all of my life???
    To quote Jack Nicholson tellin it like it is in one of my favourite films, As Good As It Gets, "I tell ya, buddy, if that did it for me I'd be the happiest guy on Earth".

But I gotta say I just LOVE the flowers, Bob. That's definitely a first for me on this manly, butt-kickin forum!