Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Will new shocks fix handling on windy roads

I have a spyder rt 2010 basic manual model

The steering and handling was a worry on freeways etc.

I brought the sway bar and fitted, did help

Made sure front tyres were within o.5 psi around 16 to 18

I had done 10,000 kilometres and i was still scared to go on thefreeway, it was right,

I mentioned to the dealer a few times,

I finally got the dealer to go to the tyre shop andget it laser aligned ( they don’t have the tool from can am)

Incredible improvement. I can now ride on the freeway.

Still a problem, when it get windy here on thefreeways or roads ( thats a lot of the time)

The bike is not stable and bit scary, i cant relax.

If i cant fix the handling problem i am ready to trade thespdyer in for a v twin metric cruiser

Will elka shocks fix this problem of wind movingthe bike

Will the elka shocks make such a difference to the bike thati will want to keep the spyder . (handling has been the whole problem)

Spyder Garage

Having had a 2010, and now a 2011 RTS, I can unequivocally say that better shocks will help a lot. The 2011/2012 shocks will show a good improvement, but the Elkas would be even better. You will never be without some wandering and darting from strong winds, but it will be so greatly reduced as to become hardly noticeable. If you do an alignment again, increase the toe-in slightly to the latest spec (3/32" in 6'). That will help, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with comments by NancysToy

I have a 2010 Spyder RT - SE5 Auto model - I found it tended to sway from side to side with the OEM Shocks
    the Front suspension was set to soft - Front on 3 - I adjusted them to 4 and this was better but was still not perfect
    I also set my automatic suspension via the console to the 4th seqment 3 being the middle setting

Many had said the 2011 RT had uprated the Front shocks which was an imporvement, I did consider getting a set fitted, but Can-Am did not have any in stock (on back order) So I went with ELKA's Front and Rear - Stage 1 +R

Once my details were sent to Elka they set up the Shocks and sent them to me
    They have been fitted and the Spyder has been transformed - No swaying - Ride is more smooth and I find I can
    take corners at a greater speed as the confidence factor grows as time goes by

I have not made any adjustments as the setting made by Elka is suitable for my needs - I have even set my Automatic suspension via the console back to the middle position

The Elka's are a quality product and even though we have to pay import duties here in the UK - They have been
    worth every cent (or in my case Pounds)

My advice for what it's worth - Contact John at Elka for advice and guidance - He will give honest advice with no pressure to purchase

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up As others have said, YES, ELKAS MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE

Elkas will make you want to keep your Spyder & ryde even more than you do now

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I have a spyder rt 2010 basic manual model

The steering and handling was a worry on freeways etc.

I brought the sway bar and fitted, did help

Made sure front tyres were within o.5 psi around 16 to 18

I had done 10,000 kilometres and i was still scared to go on thefreeway, it was right,

I mentioned to the dealer a few times,

I finally got the dealer to go to the tyre shop andget it laser aligned ( they don’t have the tool from can am)

Incredible improvement. I can now ride on the freeway.

Still a problem, when it get windy here on thefreeways or roads ( thats a lot of the time)

The bike is not stable and bit scary, i cant relax.

If i cant fix the handling problem i am ready to trade thespdyer in for a v twin metric cruiser

Will elka shocks fix this problem of wind movingthe bike

Will the elka shocks make such a difference to the bike thati will want to keep the spyder . (handling has been the whole problem)
    Adding to the chorus singing praises of Elka's. I too had issues with my 2011 RT Limited when I first got it. Hated the ride going over 60 mph. Very unstable and I really felt unsafe.
    Had dealer rebalance tires, added Ride-On, adjusted shocks to 5 and all helped.

But nothing compared to after adding Stage 1+ and Rear Elka's. Took my first ride up I-95 yesterday where if you are not going at least 75 mph, you are run over. Actually enjoyed the ride. Even going around 18 wheelers. The stability and ride were much improved.
    Highly recommend the investment.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

The Elka's or the 2011 RT shocks will make a big improvement in the handling and I'm sure you've heard this before but relaxing your grip will make a big difference too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks everyone jfor your helpful repies, I will give the elkas a go, and hopefully it will make enought of a difference on windy roads etc for me to keep it.
    I love riding it. 11,500 kilometres in 5 months

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

The Elka's or the 2011 RT shocks will make a big improvement in the handling and I'm sure you've heard this before but relaxing your grip will make a big difference too.
    Do you have to adjust the headlights after installing Elkas
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fonz View Post
    Do you have to adjust the headlights after installing Elkas
    You probably will have to readjust your lights. I had to, but it's easy to do. Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

Spyder Garage

You might also try going to 20 PSI in the front tires. It takes out some of the sidewall flex and will give you a bit more directional stability.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Handling

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Having had a 2010, and now a 2011 RTS, I can unequivocally say that better shocks will help a lot. The 2011/2012 shocks will show a good improvement, but the Elkas would be even better. You will never be without some wandering and darting from strong winds, but it will be so greatly reduced as to become hardly noticeable. If you do an alignment again, increase the toe-in slightly to the latest spec (3/32" in 6'). That will help, too.
    with Scotty. Also, I had a 2010 and the handling was very "squirrely". I finally found that the alignment was off and the wheels "toed-out". A realignment became necessary which you can do at home with little laser pointer. Exact instructions are somewhere in Spyderlovers. After you get the wheels to toe-in, the stability is much improved.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might be hanging on too tightly; waiting for the death wobble to start...
    It won't. Relax your grip on the bars and tyr to trust that BRP knows how to build a machine that'll track straight and true if you don't try to overmanage the whole steering thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here in Very Southern California, stones throw from the Mexican border, we get some pretty strong winds. I can do Freeway riding at 70 mph with 20+ mph winds without any haphazard control from our RT. I have found that setting the cruise at 72 mph, I can just sit back and relax. I guess we just have a good RT. BTW it is 100% stock except for the RSL seat and BFG G-Force rear tire.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

The best advise I read on here was to detach your arms from your body when it is windy. And 100% letting up on the death grip.

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna