Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MOgang member & Pyro-Lady Joanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How long before you got your license and drove???

We bought our Spyder in July. I haven't gotten the guts to go take my test and get certified to drive. Kev has let me drive in a few parking lots. For others in my position, how long did it take you??
    Thanks
    Joanie

Spyder Garage

I can't answer your question because I had my motorcycle license before I got my Spyder. First rode one on a BRP Demo Ryde in '09.

Is there an MSF three wheel course in your area?? That might be the best way to learn and get a license waiver at the same time. I'm actually going to take the MSF three wheel course in May just because brushing up never hurt and it will be fun!! Do a search for Motorcycle Safety Foundation. On their site they have links to local courses.

Best of luck getting out there. It's a blast!! But you want to be a safe as you can too.
    Marilyn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hit the ground running when I got my Spyder. I started riding in June of 2010 but didn't get my license until that September - I had a learners permit only. By the time I got my license I had put over 6,000 miles on it.

Do what makes you feel comfortable but I think you need to get some road miles under your belt before you take the test. Do you get a learner's permit in MO?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

In South Carolina no MC license is needed for triks,my wife(SDM) and have never driven a MC and don't plan to. That's way we picked the Spyder
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

akspyderlady got her permit at the end of 2011. She will ride most of the summer on the permit and will take the drivers test after about 5000 miles--towards the end of season 2012.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Learners Permit

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie View Post
    We bought our Spyder in July. I haven't gotten the guts to go take my test and get certified to drive. Kev has let me drive in a few parking lots. For others in my position, how long did it take you??
    Thanks
    Joanie
    Joanie, just go to your license office and get a learners permit and practice and then ride to your hearts content. The only thing you can't do is ride at night. If the permit expires just go get another one. Missouri is very liberal in this area; they will keep extending your permit forever it seems. Once you are confident enough then go take the test. Too bad we don’t have trike MSF classes here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2NFrnt View Post
    Joanie, just go to your license office and get a learners permit and practice and then ride to your hearts content. The only thing you can't do is ride at night. If the permit expires just go get another one. Missouri is very liberal in this area; they will keep extending your permit forever it seems. Once you are confident enough then go take the test. Too bad we don’t have trike MSF classes here.
    Does the MO permit allow you to have a passenger and are you required to be in sight of a licensed MC rider? If they only have the one Spyder this could be a problem. So the solution is to buy a second Spyder and practice, practice, practice.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Does the MO permit allow you to have a passenger and are you required to be in sight of a licensed MC rider? If they only have the one Spyder this could be a problem. So the solution is to buy a second Spyder and practice, practice, practice.
    You know how it goes with these things. When I got my original MO permit, I was told that there would be no limitations by the officer in charge. However, in doing some research I found that for drivers over 16 that two restrictions apply. No nights and no passengers. Kinda different from the "no restrictions" I was told at the testing center. Anyway I posted this link to a site with some clarification.

http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/motorcycle-license.php

Spyder Garage

Thanks Steve that is what I thought. (My mom and I had the DMV in Troy for 15 years many moons ago.) I didn't think that had changed. Think I might bite the bullet study and get my permit. At least I can somewhat legally drive. Don't know if the boss will let me out on my own.

Spyder Garage

I rode hubby's RT around the yard. He had me doing figure 8's, and practicing backing for a few weeks, then I took the 3 wheel course on his RT here in Fl we can do that here. All you have to do is take the paper in to show you passed and they give you the endorsement. Of course it didn't take me long to want my own. About 2 months later I bought my RS. I didn't like sharing. It was money well spent. I have just over 8,000 mi. on it right now, I bought it in May 2011. Just go at your own speed and feel comfortable and ride your own ride.

Hand grips
    GPS holder
    Buttler mug holder
    Running lights front and rear
    12V plug in
    Graphics

Spyder Garage

I rode mine a good 6 months before getting mine....

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Licensing?

Thanks
    Joanie
    I bought my Smurfette back in Sept. of 2010. She's a 2010 RT-A (with a few mods of course!). I rode through the winter on a permit, and as soon as the first MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) sidecar/trike course that was available for the season, which was in early May of 2011. A good idea to help you get ready for licensing would be to do the practice excercises that are in your owner's manual. Definitely look into additional training from the MSF though. Welcome, Spyder Sister, and Ryde Safe!!!

Spyder Garage

Bought our Spyder Jan 21.
    Rode it 40 miles home Jan 25 (no license)
    Wife and I took a class from ABATE of Colorado Jan 28 and 29.
    Went to Dept. of motor vehicles Jan 30 and got license.
    Been riding every day that the weather permits.
    Happy, Happy, Happy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default newbie

welcome aboard, let the party begin.......Mike.....

Spyder Garage

Smile

Thanks
    Joanie
    I started riding a Harley Trike up and down the drive way (about half mile). And went and got the Driver's Manual to study. Did that for at least a month before I got my nerve up to take the written test. I got my "learners permit" and actually went out on the Harley Trike for a couple months before I went and took the test. You can do it---I was 60 years old when I made the decision. I did a test drive of the Can Am at Bikes, Blues and BBQ at Fayetteville last October and became an owner of a new Limited about 3 weeks ago.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my '09 GS in March of '10 and had never had a MC license. I took the MSF course at the end of April. I finally was able to take my first test ride and drove around the block and kept making bigger circles around the neigborhood until I was running down the highway. 0 to 55 mph in about 15 minutes of riding . I didn't have any two wheel habits to break so the learning curve was fairly short.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default 3 weeks from purchase

We purchased the Spyder Mar 16th last year and took our MC test on Apr 1st. But that being said we live in the county and put over 600 miles on the spyder riding every chance we got before the test. We are also big ATV riders and the spyder handles just like our ATV's. I found the Ohio MC course requirements online and we set-up in a parking lot and practiced...practiced and practice a little more until we knew we could past the test. Our issue was in Ohio you can't ride two-up unless you have a MC license.

We were motivated by the Ohio restriction more then anything. My suggestion would be find the MC license course online and set it up in a parking lot then practice. It helped us a great deal.

Good Luck!
    The Girlz,
    2015 Red RT-S SE5
    2015 Denim Blue ST-Limited SE5
    Black 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

Got my permit the day before we brought the first Spyder ('09 RS SE5) home from Cowtown and took the test and passed a week later. It sure didn't take very long to get used to ryding and have the confidence to pass the test.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Well i am glad to say i was 62 years old when i got my beginners.
    Never driven before and it was very exciting for myself and husband
    (RydeOnThree) who got his license also. It all started when we
    were both encouraged to get our license with the thought of travelling via bike when we retire.We purchased a Suzuki 250 cc first and then GOT beginners.We both starting riding the 250 until
    it was time to go for our M2 which is the next step up.My husband then started to look at bikes and the Spyder adventures was not long after that. We got our Spyder 2011 in April 2011 and it was different driving a trike and we received good info from this site about giving ourselves time to get use to the ride.So with that i am enjoying the RIDE and look for opportunity to get on and ryde.
    Carol

Spyder Garage

Don't know if the boss will let me out on my own.
    Well we will solve that We will just get you your own

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Linda... suggest that as Christmas present!!!!

Birthday is in June, think that is to quick!!! LOL!!!

Wishing there was a "pink" one as that is my favorite color, but then again, Len and Danny can do amazing work!!!
    Spyderfest 2017 -- Magic 8.

Joanie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got my Spyder last year for my birthday, March 19. I got my permit in April and drove on it until October. It had expired in September but I was in the hospital and could not take the test. I had a 6 month grace period so in October when I was able I took the test and passed...thank you Jesus. It was very stressful for me because I was so scared of failing but actually it was easy. I had never rode a bike until we got the Syder. I love the fact that I can ride anytime I want. Although we only have one Spyder, Jeff is man enough to ride on the back and let me drive anytime I want.

Spyder Garage

Linda... suggest that as Christmas present!!!!

Birthday is in June, think that is to quick!!! LOL!!!

Wishing there was a "pink" one as that is my favorite color, but then again, Len and Danny can do amazing work!!!
    How about getting one for April Fool's Day or everyone's favorite April 15th (Tax Day). Then you would have it for Spyderfest!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

I got my learners permit a week after I got my Spyder. 30 days later, Virginia law, I took my test and got my license. About 500 miles in training.

Spyder Garage

Default Less than 30 days

I rode motorcycles in high school (a long time ago). Intended to get licensed for a two-wheeler and took a motorcycle safety course, discovered I wasn't as competent with a two-wheeler as I used to be. So decided to get a Spyder. Took the written test at the DMV, got a learners permit for a trike and had to ride with another rider until I took the road test, which I did within 30 days of getting my "learners permit." That was two summers ago, and I've logged over 6,000 miles since then and am planning a ride to Florida and back.

Take your time, get comfortable on the Spyder and enjoy the heck out of it.