Spyder Garage

Default Vibrations 2012 RTs Se5

I have a 2012 Rts Se5. Went on a short ride yesterday and kept getting vibrations from the motor when accelerating. Didnt seem to matter whether I tried from lower rpm or already had the rpms up. Didnt vibrate all the time but from past experiences a vibration from like this from the motor means bread down sooner or late. Just looking for ideas to tell the dealer when I take it in for the 600 mile checkup. By the way the ride was nice 70 degree weather!!! Unusual for Panhandle of Texas in late Feb.

Spyder Garage

Default Viberations

It could be motor mount, but standby, others with more expertise than I will address this.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since you have not had your 600 mi yet its probably just the belt needing adjustment. This will be taken care of at the check up but be sure to bring it to their attention. I really see no cause for alarm. Just ryde and enjoy. How soon will you be doing the 600 mile checkup?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post
    It could be motor mount, but standby, others with more expertise than I will address this.
    +1 I agree and it is a warranty fix. Pretty Big job. See the dealer

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Thanks for the info everyone. I will bring the motormount to their attention to check. 600 mile service should be early March depending on weather!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default jackndon from OZ

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider51 View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I will bring the motormount to their attention to check. 600 mile service should be early March depending on weather!!!!
    Hi I had vibration on my 2010 mod, mainly the old problem with engine stay,(but that was cured on the later models I thought) once fixed mine still had some vibration until I fitted the belt tensioner, big big improvement, gear changes are realy smooth now, the other benifit is you do not have to worry if the belt tension, is spot on or not, still ok and I have just returned from a 3000 klm trip, but I can still get the belt to vibrate if I do not change down quick enough and let the engine labour, say on the brow of a hill etc, and thats just the nature of the high reving engine, all the best Don

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Likely Motor Mount

The problem with insufficient clearance due to the motor mounts "settling" was addressed by putting shims underneath the front motor mounts. BRP started doing this on the production line with late-production 2011 RT's and it continues with the 2012 RT's. If you look at the parts diagram for 2012's, you will see the shims shown as a regular production item. (The shims do not appear in the 2010 or 2011 diagrams.) So it's not likely that motor mount clearance is your problem. If your dealer wanted to confirm, all he has to do is look for the shims between the frame and the front motor mounts. They are visible if you know where to look. If it turns out there are no shims there, then he should measure the clearance at the lower left side of the engine "cradle" where it is very close to the frame. If the clearance is greater than 0.04", BRP says it is OK and not a source of vibration. The shims are 0.08" so if they were installed on the production line, you should have plenty of clearance.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

It shouldn't be a shim problem on the 2012's. Have the dealer check the belt tension and make sure it is at least set at the top range of the latest spec's. If your still experiencing vibration remove the lower belt guard and have a buddy with a passenger ride next to you and watch your belt, and maybe take a phone video. If the belt is vibrating enough for you to feel it, it should be apparent to someone looking at from 5" away.