36 41.86%
  • Some "car" tire

36 41.86%
  • Considering a "car" tire

14 16.28%
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Poll about tires

I have never done a poll before, but thought it would be interesting to see what people are doing about tires for their Spyder.

Poll on people's preferences for tires:
    1. Still use OEM tires.
    2. Have gone to a "car" tire.
    3. Considering a "car" tire.
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 02-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Should be interesting.
    Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire
    General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Question Been think'n of switch'n but stayed with stock so far

We got 21,000 on the rear stock & replaced it with another stock tire.
    Got 22,000 on the two front stocks & noticed inside wear, so had them rotated & hope to get another 6-12,000 out before switching them. Thinking about going aftermarket, but not sure what would be best for all road & weather conditions as we usually ryde year round. Thanks for start'n this thread, will be interesting to see whats working best for everyone else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need a category for both. I have OEM on the front and Kumho on the rear. But I think I will go back to OEM reara before Spyderfest. I didn't get much better mileage out of the Kumho and it tended to hydroplane.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I feel stock is best considering the Nanny Systems for Aggresive drivers like myself!
    If your casual and touring do whatever but the cost savings is Minimal as far as I,m concerned?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Still on OEM. 10,000 mi.
    Fronts still great. Back has maybe 2500 left in it.
    Im satisfied with that mileage and happy with the traction, so I will replace with OEM!

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

At 3,800 mi. on our RT-S I'm hoping that we're a ways off from making this decision. I good buddy of mine has a Honda Valkyrie and is putting a car tire on his, but the big problem for him is that the city boys refuse to put a car tire on a bike wheel. He's going to have to travel a little to the 'boonies' to get someone that'll do it without fear of a lawsuit.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire poll

thank you spydrjockey for doing the poll, i think the results could be interesting....here's a thought though \, anyone who has a spyder that's under warranty may not be able to make a choice about their tires untill the brp warranty expires ?....i don't know how you could account for this though ??..i changed to a kumho rear and have falken's for the front when the oem's bite the dust.....and regarding any concerns about the " nanny ", it's smart but not that smart...because if it was when kenda changes their tires is brp going to replace /repair all those computers to recognize the new tires....i don't think so.....does toyota , honda, audi, etc tell you what tires you have to use becuse their computer will only work with their tires.....get real.....have a nice day.....mike............please vote

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have heard that some riders with car tires on thier bikes (they were two wheel machines though) had problems with thier insurance companies because they hade deemed the accident "Could have" been prevented if the motorcycle had motorcycle tires on it. The one that I was close to was a Valkery with a car tire on the rear

Just saying to be careful, or maybe check with your insurance agent BEFORE you have to make a claim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OEM originals at 43K miles on the front

Falken 512 (new - 3rd tire) on rear at 43K miles

My second rear tire was a Kuhmo and it lasted 30K miles and was half the price of the Kenda and lasted twice as long.

Not sure what I am going to do with my front tires yet. I'll probably just get the Kenda, but am considering car tires as well.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    Should be interesting.
    Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire
    General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires
    How do you like the front tires you have? Do they fit in the stock fenders without modification?
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydrjockey View Post
    I have never done a poll before, but thought it would be interesting to see what people are doing about tires for their Spyder.

Poll on people's preferences for tires:
    1. Still use OEM tires.
    2. Have gone to a "car" tire.
    3. Considering a "car" tire.
    number 2

Spyder Garage

Still running original tire on the Spyder with around 13,000 miles, rear is close and probably be replaced before Spyderfest, don't understand the rear wear. I will probably go back stock. Now on the other hand I'm running car tires on the rear of both my Valkyries and can not see myself ever going back stock. Kevin if your buddy still needs his tire mounted and is willing to drive a ways my dealer here mounted mine no problem.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    At 3,800 mi. on our RT-S I'm hoping that we're a ways off from making this decision. I good buddy of mine has a Honda Valkyrie and is putting a car tire on his, but the big problem for him is that the city boys refuse to put a car tire on a bike wheel. He's going to have to travel a little to the 'boonies' to get someone that'll do it without fear of a lawsuit.
    You might want to tell your friend to think twice about it. On my Valkyrie I put a car tire on and kept it on for about 10,000 mi, I took it back off still looked as good as when I bought it and I swore to myself that I would never put another car tire on again. I gave it to a friend of mine that had a valkyrie and he swears by them. Problem that having a car tire on is below 30 mph you have your hands full holding that bike straight. anything in the road at that speed you feel everything ( cracks, white lines, curbs, tire snakes) The plus to the tire is anything above 30mph it handles great and you get good wear out of them. Again it is how much you want to fight the bike. Just my 2cents

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Falken 912... The rear chicken skin was shot at 7,000 miles.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    thank you spydrjockey for doing the poll, i think the results could be interesting....here's a thought though \, anyone who has a spyder that's under warranty may not be able to make a choice about their tires untill the brp warranty expires ?....i don't know how you could account for this though ??..i changed to a kumho rear and have falken's for the front when the oem's bite the dust.....and regarding any concerns about the " nanny ", it's smart but not that smart...because if it was when kenda changes their tires is brp going to replace /repair all those computers to recognize the new tires....i don't think so.....does toyota , honda, audi, etc tell you what tires you have to use becuse their computer will only work with their tires.....get real.....have a nice day.....mike............please vote
    Running different tires than the OEM Kenda's won't affect your warranty. Remember, in order to not cover something under warranty, they have to prove that whatever 'modification' the owner did was the cause. I suppose if you used the wrong sized tire and it came off and damaged the belt, etc..... then obviously they shouldn't cover that--- but otherwise you should be fine.

If they needed to, they could do an update to the computer to change the characteristics of the nanny to some degree, but I doubt this would be necessary as even the characteristics of your OEM tires change greatly as they wear. I've worn mine down to barely any tread on the rear and it still rode 'okay' -- but would trip the nanny more as traction was crap.

I'm still amazed at those getting such high mileage off these tires. Most I ever got from a rear was 8,000 and it was almost bald. Might have *something* to do with my right wrist.... hmmmmmm

I will say--- the minute I put new tires on, the Spyder rides like a totally different bike--- in a good way--- so I'm no longer going to run them down so much. I don't expect to get over 6,000 from a rear anymore, or 10,000 from the fronts-- if I want to keep the ride feeling like new..... so probably 3 rears per year and 2 sets of fronts is going to be 'normal' for me- at least with the OEMS.

I'd like to hear from any 'performance' riders about how other tires are doing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default OEM

Have 18.7 K on OEM now and it's pretty clapped out. Plan to replace with same in one week,just prior to Daytona.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167
    2011 RTS , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I voted. I'm sticking with OEM because dealer will not install others, and I don't want some tire shop messing around with the Black Widow.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

chickridin

Still riding on original tires but when I do have to replace them it'll be OEM. I've read that some have used car tires but, my luck doesn't allow for venturing out to unknown territories.

Spyder Garage

I found the Toyo was the lightest and smoothest riding tire for the rear. Traction was similar to stock as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    I found the Toyo was the lightest and smoothest riding tire for the rear. Traction was similar to stock as well.
    I really like my Toyo T1R Proxes. 4 ply tread instead of the OEM 2 ply which stiffens the tread area helping to keep a flatter footprint and more even wear. Stiffer sidewall gives you better cornering. I suppose ride comfort suffers but I didn't notice any difference there.

Supurb dry traction and great wet traction. I have noticed that they don't like real cold weather. In cold weather you have to ride them a bit and warm them up before they give the expected dry traction.

Less expensive than OEM and my brand new Toyo weighed less than my worn out OEM tire. Not sure there is a lot of real world benefit there but it can't hurt.

The Toyo is quiet but then I didn't ever notice any noise from my OEM tire either.

The Toyo resists hydroplaning as well or better than the stock tire. This was very important to me because with a big footprint and light weight, the rear of the Spyder is prone to hydroplaning.

I got 13K from my OEM tire and I'm at about 26K now with tread left on my Toyo so I'm getting at least comparable wear.

I think they look cool too....

One thing that does surprise me is that more Spyderlovers don't have a bit more adventureous spirit. Trying a different rear tire isn't all that risky as long as you stay within design parameters. How many run OEM tires on anything else they own? I'd like to see those poll numbers!

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW TIRES

as usual you rock ron, i see you are on the dark side with all us non-oem tire folks.....you're pick is sweet ....nice fat center tread pattern to help avoid our normal wear point......if i may ask how much for that and did you get matching fronts......nice picture post.....mike....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    as usual you rock ron, i see you are on the dark side with all us non-oem tire folks.....you're pick is sweet ....nice fat center tread pattern to help avoid our normal wear point......if i may ask how much for that and did you get matching fronts......nice picture post.....mike....
    I can't say there aren't better choices out there. I've only run the OEM and this Toyo. There are some that swear by other choices and I say 'More Power To Them!'. I don't know about the dark side. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I used to walk into burning buildings for a living so this tire option is pretty low on the thrill scale. But I'm always looking for something better. I'm surprised at how many times I find it. Of course I get burned from time to time, like with my cheapo HID light kit. But I should have seen that one coming.

I'm not sure you can still get this tire. I think I paid about $120 for it delivered. Took my wheel off and the local tire shop changed it out for $20. There isn't anything magic about having your tires mounted at a dealership. It's a car tire and rim so just about anyone can do this for you. If you are going to have someone do the whole process then I think the dealership is your only choice as a tire shop isn't going to know what to do with the wheel and drive assemblies.

I didn't change out the fronts because there was still plenty of tread there and you don't have to run the same tire all around. When they wear out I will certainly look into something else. I wish they were 15" rims. Stock front tires are way to soft in the sidewall.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...