Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Stage 1R+ Feedback Needed

I am looking for feedback from those of you that have replaced your stock front 2010 or 2011 RT shocks with the Elka Stage 1 shocks. Specifically, I would like to find out what immediate handling differences you noticed upon installing these new shocks.
    I realize that there have been numerous posts about these shocks over the past few years, but I would appreciate your direct feedback on the value of this mod as it pertains to your experience.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Here's some comments related to my recent experience with upgrading to Elka's on my 2012 RT Ltd:

Right out of the box, on my 70 mi ride home after installing the Elkas (mostly Interstate) I definitely felt the RT steadier, particularly around buffeting from semis. I also could tell the Elkas were soaking up a lot of road surface vibration I felt previously with the OEM shocks.
    I had added the Evo Swaybar a week before and it noticeably reduced the lean on the curves but the Elkas made more difference on the Interstate and on bumpy roads. Setting the OEM shocks to 5 helped with control but gave a stiffer ride; the Elkas seem to soften the ride and yet give better control.

I am interested to hear about Elka settings that other RT owners are using after some experience, plus whether it was necessary to adjust the RT headlights due to the Elkas.

So far I am thoroughly impressed with Elka quality and the super features for tuning them to your own riding preference.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=cjackg;419230]Here's some comments related to my recent experience with upgrading to Elka's on my 2012 RT Ltd:

I am interested to hear about Elka settings that other RT owners are using after some experience, plus whether it was necessary to adjust the RT headlights due to the Elkas.

The elkas do raise the bike front end( i think Len said about 2") which gives more clearance underneath(compared to OEM shocks) and makes it easier getting onto trailers etc. However, it also raises the headlights, i'm always getting oncoming cars flashing there bright lights at me when mine are not on. I forgot to have this issue addressed while it was in the shop recently
    Last edited by spyder3; 02-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I am looking for feedback from those of you that have replaced your stock front 2010 or 2011 RT shocks with the Elka Stage 1 shocks. Specifically, I would like to find out what immediate handling differences you noticed upon installing these new shocks.
    I realize that there have been numerous posts about these shocks over the past few years, but I would appreciate your direct feedback on the value of this mod as it pertains to your experience.

Thanks
    Had Elkas installed last year at Spyderfest and the difference was dramatic. I didn't realize how poorly my 2010 RTS handled until I had ridden about 500 feet from Cowtown's driveway. Much better steering, overall handling and stability. I did have to readjust the headlights because of the increased ground clearance. It's easy to do...just follow the procedure as outlined in the owner's manual.

Spyder Garage

Default ELKA

My shocks themselves have been great. Obviously superior handling etc etc. BUY THEM, but read below and then don't do several changes all at once like I did.

My continuing problem is I did too much almost at once and I am still having front wheel vibrations pretty regularly. Been e-mailing with John and he's been very helpful.

My automatic air bag on my RTSM has not worked properly since Sept something with an Aug21, 2011 purchase. The system actually worked, held air pretty well, kept it about right, but every time I hit the switch, it showed manual on the CRT or what ever it is. It eventually got to the point where it quit, right about the time I rotated the fronts and added ride-on, which was a week or so after the shocks. The Ride-on balances (in theory) virtually any tires and it apparently did this after the above work. However, at the start of most every day, the front end acted up and still does (to a lesser degree) between 42 -45 and 53 to 57. Any other speed, smooth as glass. The rear shock/airbag troubleshooting by the dealer (who was great, by the way) ended up with the system quitting entirely, after it started letting all the air out when the bike was put in gear after being pumped up with an air compresser!!! At that time, Jeff, Service Manager and fellow Marine, by the way, said "Get this bike out of here, I'll call you after I talk to BRP." This was on a Sat at 4:30, by the way. I agreed whole heartedly. The theory was and still is, that the varying air bag pressure was driving the front end nuts with the geometry of the whole 3 wheel system out of wack a little, or a lot. Yesterday, after hours of prep for the big reprogramming of the auto air bag system, and a big delay when that did not make the system work, (even though the screen said it should) requiring another call to the "mothership" to the guy with the IQ to figure out what happened. Know what he said? "Go over, start the bike and see if the system works." Jeff did that, it worked and continues to work. I guess the electrons had to run around in circles for 30 minutes or so, with the switch off, before the BUD system said "Bingo!" So now the shocks have been readjusted to their setting from ELKA, the rear shock holds about 45 to 50 pounds for my fighting weight of 170 and the ELKAs continue to be great, the air bag is great, the Ride-on is great, except the front end still wobbles some at the above speeds of 42 and 53. John has suggested I get the front wheels balanced, I had taken the weights off all 3 wheels, since the Ride -On is supposed to balance them, with out a computer, by the way!! The rear wheel will have the original # of weights replaced on Friday, Ride-on will do it's trick and I promise to never write a thing this long again. The wheels did have a lot of weights and I should have know better, except I had rotated the tires and the old weights were no longer appropriate. Did I tell you about the venting from the canister hose in the middle of this also? I promised Jeff I wouldn't do the canisterectamy on the bike or him this time, but he'd better get the new can here in 2 days or no more Semper Fi for him!! . Other than this stuff, the first 9,000 miles have been super - the water pump oil seal, that's another day's adventure. I'd almost forgotten about that in all the excitement.

I really did shorten this, don't want anyone falling asleep and having qwertyuiop embedded in his/her head.

GET THE ELKAS and do one thing at a time so you can figure out what is happening.

Good night Virginia.

Tuck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tried the shocks for the 2011 when they came out. They made a difference but not much as far as the wind. I got a pair of ELKAS from Len at Cowtown and the difference is like night and day. When you are in the windy conditions on the interstates highways they give you much better control and your arms won't be so tired from trying to steer the machine. Len had them adjusted on arrival and I have not changed them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have plans to do the "try before you buy" deal at Cowtown during Spyderfest and I am hopeful that the shocks will deliver an immediate WOW impact so that my final purchasing decision will be a no brainer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback.

I have plans to do the "try before you buy" deal at Cowtown during Spyderfest and I am hopeful that the shocks will deliver an immediate WOW impact so that my final purchasing decision will be a no brainer.

My experience with the Elkas was posted last year. I had written the "for sale" classified and was waiting for the Elkas so as to give a last chance to the RT. I had tried literally everything else. As I stated in my previous postings, my RT was just plain dangerous. Some ryders think I was dramatizing the situation but not so. i sold a 96' GW to get the RT. I currently own 2 four-wheelers and have been riding quads for more than 15 years including the Suzuki racer. I've owned a couple of dirt bikes, a 4-cyl 500 Honda, 550 honda and 750 Honda. Even with a lot of experience, the RT simply was downright scary. My nerves would only go about 50 miles and it was always trying to head off the road. Zero fun, Sir! Thanks to Lamonster and others I put the single stage Elkas on the front and got a different scoot. Now I can zoom past semis, and spend time wondering if they will ever come out with an 1800 cc shaft drive :-) I have no idea why changing the front shocks would make such a change on a smooth freeway, but they do. Some people are lucky and get a scoot that handles well from the factory. If you are one of those, I'm not sure what the Elkas could do for you. I wasn't lucky.

Spyder Garage

I just installed a set that I got from Len at Cowtown... worth every dime of the purchase price.. it is night and day difference in handling the twisties up here in the Texas Hill Country.. RT-S is more stable than ever in gusty cross winds and I am comfortably taking the twisties that I have 5000 miles on an average 10-15 mph faster very comfortably ... I need to do the rear shock now, but I have to wait for financial approval . Highly recommend Elka and Len at Cowtown...
    Last edited by GypsyBill; 02-24-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all again for your personal experiences with this product. I am looking forward to giving the Elka's a test spin while at Spyderfest.

For those RS owners who wish to switch out their shocks for the RT shocks while at Spyderfest I am sure there will be more than a few used sets available at a good price. A parking lot switch out at the Super 8 is certainly doable.