Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb lights seem to brighten and dim

We were driving home me in the pickup my husband on our 2011 RT, I noticed in the rear view mirror that the lights seemed to get brighter and then dim a bit. I thought it was my imagination, we were running about 30-35 mph. we have the fog lights as well they too seemed to be changing brightness. any ideas out there

Spyder Garage

That's because there's a cover that lifts up and down for low and high beam, if not adjusted right it will act like your lights are flickering.

Spyder Garage

Many owners have discovered this. The Spyders have projection lenses that cast quite a narrow beam. As the lightweight vehicle bounces, the lights appear to oncoming traffic to blink or brighten and dim. It is really just a matter of the angle of view changing slightly. As Lamont said, the shutter that is used for low beams, add to this, cutting off the top of the beam. There are two partial solutions: adjust the headlights slightly lower, or use the high beams during the daytime.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Many owners have discovered this. The Spyders have projection lenses that cast quite a narrow beam. As the lightweight vehicle bounces, the lights appear to oncoming traffic to blink or brighten and dim. It is really just a matter of the angle of view changing slightly. As Lamont said, the shutter that is used for low beams, add to this, cutting off the top of the beam. There are two partial solutions: adjust the headlights slightly lower, or use the high beams during the daytime.

Noticed this plenty-- and have had people I was following mention it to me. Also might explain why I've 'pulled over' a dozen people while on the spyder..... ;-)

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Noticed this plenty-- and have had people I was following mention it to me. Also might explain why I've 'pulled over' a dozen people while on the spyder..... ;-)
    I had headlight modulators on my 2 wheelers and quite often cars would pull over and let me go by. I felt a little bit bad when that happened but no harm was ever done. On the plus side I did know that I was being noticed. That's good!

zrc

Default Potential Hijacking

I have thought about switching out to HIDs in my fogs and mains, would this help remedy this situation?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    I have thought about switching out to HIDs in my fogs and mains, would this help remedy this situation?
    No, the projector lenses and shutters are still in place. Your lights will be brighter, but still a narrow, focused beam.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

zrc

Fantabulous! Thanks.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I would think if you adjusted the lights a little lower the problem would be solved, I did that with mine and stopped scaring people. One thing you don't want is to have someone pull over to let you go bye and then realize your not a cop and have them up your tail and mad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I would think if you adjusted the lights a little lower the problem would be solved, I did that with mine and stopped scaring people. One thing you don't want is to have someone pull over to let you go bye and then realize your not a cop and have them up your tail and mad.
    First they'd have to catch up....... not gonna happen.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

It took me quite a while adjusting one quarter turn each night to finally get the lights low enough that people wouldn't keep hitting me with their high beams (or in the case of a high-lift 4 wheeler who actually drove toward me so he could hit me with more of his high beams), while driving at night. I don't get bothered now, and I still have enough of a light spread in front of me to see just fine at night. My question is why design something like this, isn't it better to have two filaments? Is this a common design?
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Weave2u View Post
    It took me quite a while adjusting one quarter turn each night to finally get the lights low enough that people wouldn't keep hitting me with their high beams (or in the case of a high-lift 4 wheeler who actually drove toward me so he could hit me with more of his high beams), while driving at night. I don't get bothered now, and I still have enough of a light spread in front of me to see just fine at night. My question is why design something like this, isn't it better to have two filaments? Is this a common design?
    Nothing wrong with the design. It provides a strong, far-reaching beam. It is becoming more common. Two filaments is not necesarily better...and cannot provide as focused a beam. The shutter have nothing to do with having the headlights adjusted too high.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with the design. It provides a strong, far-reaching beam. It is becoming more common. Two filaments is not necesarily better...and cannot provide as focused a beam. The shutter have nothing to do with having the headlights adjusted too high.

I can't see the design advantage. On high beam, you want distance and spread, it seems to me... LOL... everyone here knows I'm no mechanic or anything... but the shutter system just doesn't seem to present any big advantages. I know it has nothing to do with the high adjustment, but seems like some folks are having a problem that results in them adjusting their beams lower. I don't, sorry, I just don't understand the advantage.
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Weave2u View Post
    I can't see the design advantage. On high beam, you want distance and spread, it seems to me... LOL... everyone here knows I'm no mechanic or anything... but the shutter system just doesn't seem to present any big advantages. I know it has nothing to do with the high adjustment, but seems like some folks are having a problem that results in them adjusting their beams lower. I don't, sorry, I just don't understand the advantage.
    The laws of physics prevent you from having both distance and spread. There is a finite amount of light, that can be either aimed or disbursed. BRP chose to get the beam farther down the road, which limits its width...but the roadway is narrow anyway. Reflector-type lights do the same thing, but the light beams are not as parallel as with a lens, so more light is "wasted". This design is very common in European vehicles. The shutter system presents a huge advantage in this type of focused beam. It cuts off the diverging rays at the top, making a very flat beam that does not shine in oncoming drivers' eyes. If properly adjusted, this combination gives the maximum range of light with the least "glare" of any other available system.

Think of a flashlight, with its tiny bulb. In a lantern, it would barely cast enough light to read a page placed next to it, yet in a flashlight, you can see several feet ahead with that same bulb. If you placed a lens in front to focus the beam and cast parallel rays, you could see across the room. In a vehicle, we want to see down the road as far as possible, not light up the woods we pass by.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-24-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The laws of physics prevent you from having both distance and spread. There is a finite amount of light, that can be either aimed or disbursed. BRP chose to get the beam farther down the road, which limits its width...but the roadway is narrow anyway. Reflector-type lights do the same thing, but the light beams are not as parallel as with a lens, so more light is "wasted". This design is very common in European vehicles. The shutter system presents a huge advantage in this type of focused beam. It cuts off the diverging rays at the top, making a very flat beam that does not shine in oncoming drivers' eyes. If properly adjusted, this combination gives the maximum range of light with the least "glare" of any other available system.

Think of a flashlight, with its tiny bulb. In a lantern, it would barely cast enough light to read a page placed next to it, yet in a flashlight, you can see several feet ahead with that same bulb. If you placed a lens in front to focus the beam and cast papallel rays, you could see across the room. In a vehicle, we want to see down the road as far as possible, not light up the woods we pass by.

Spyder Garage

In a vehicle, we want to see down the road as far as possible, not light up the woods we pass by.
    Unless you hunting
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Dar...

I'd love to see a closeup of you Spyder 5th wheel hitch...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Cool Spyder Head Lights

The first time I rode with other motorcycles, one of the Harley riders I was following mentioned at a stop that he couldn't see my headlights. He could see my bright yellow jacket fine. I read up on adjusting the lights and determined that they weren't anywhere near where they should be. The dealer, now not a dealer, did a lousy job of adjusting the lights.
    Following instructions in the manual I got the lights to cast the light pattern shown.

Last week I rode with my brother and brother-in-law, when following them they both insisted that my headlights were very hard to pick up in their mirrors. My brother suggested I try High Beams and both agreed that that was much better.

I don't normally ride at night, so I will ride with the high beam indicator on from now on. Always a good thing to be seen.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver