Spyder Garage

Default Spark Plug Change at 12K?

Within the next couple months at about 12K I plan on have some routine maint/inspection work done. Is it recommended to have the plugs changed at this time? If so, i'd use the iridiums.

I wouldn't think of doing it if it were something I felt competent doing myself, but from what I read, don't think I want to tackle that front plug.

Edited to add: How about having the exhaust "Y" gaskets done at this time also as a preventative measure?
    Last edited by ulflyer; 02-20-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Within the next couple months at about 12K I plan on have some routine maint/inspection work done. Is it recommended to have the plugs changed at this time? If so, i'd use the iridiums.

I wouldn't think of doing it if it were something I felt competent doing myself, but from what I read, don't think I want to tackle that front plug.

Edited to add: How about having the exhaust "Y" gaskets done at this time also as a preventative measure?
    If it's running good leave them alone, If you do change them BE very careful handling the spark plug wires they damage easily, With the Y gaskets at 12 thousand miles their due. Replace them with Honda gaskets,
    # 18392-MAM-000 ; And then you won't have to mess with them again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If it's running good leave them alone, If you do change them BE very careful handling the spark plug wires they damage easily, With the Y gaskets at 12 thousand miles their due. Replace them with Honda gaskets,
    When changing the plugs, you might as well replace the stock; and easily-damaged wires, with some of BajaRon's beauties! He can also make sure that you have the correct plugs too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When changing the plugs, you might as well replace the stock; and easily-damaged wires, with some of BajaRon's beauties! He can also make sure that you have the correct plugs too!
    I absolutely second that.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree with "boborgera" about replacing the "Y" gaskets. Replaced mine at 7500 miles and they did not look good. Might want to also think about replacing your wires and plugs with "Bajarons". Thought mine was running good but pulled the plugs just to check them and they also did'nt look that great. In my mind, I thought it was running good, but in reality, it really wasn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Looking at he plug area with that grooved path it looks as if your forced to Pull on the end of the wire? (Not Good)
    Any special trick to get to the base of the wire cap to remove?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Looking at he plug area with that grooved path it looks as if your forced to Pull on the end of the wire? (Not Good)
    I used a spring puller to loosen the booth a little [break the suction] Then pulled it out the rest of the way with a plastic booth puller [pliers] .

Spyder Garage

The OEM spark plug boots are pretty much recessed in the hole with not a lot of room to get a standard boot puller tool in there. I gave up and pulled on the wire. It is not a good idea but I didn't want to buy another special tool just to get the Spyder boots off. When Lamont his he got some bad miss in one cylinder so I expected the same. That is when I decided to see if I could make a custom set of wires.

I got lucky. I didn't get any problems with the old wires and new plugs. But I am finding that my case is probably not the norm. Speaking to dealer shop mechanics it sounds like, even with them, most of the time messing with the wires causes issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

how many gaskets are needed for exhaust?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-B View Post
    how many gaskets are needed for exhaust?
    For the ''Y'' Gaskets; Two.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Honda gaskets # 18392-MAM-000 that I got will not fit the RT exhaust. I got these and they are too small unless the ones I got were marked wrong.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DANNYB View Post
    The Honda gaskets # 18392-MAM-000 that I got will not fit the RT exhaust. I got these and they are too small unless the ones I got were marked wrong.
    Are you replacing the Y gaskets or the muffler gasket because they're larger then the Y's, Those [one] you'll have to get from BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DANNYB View Post
    The RT does use different gaskets. No cross reference that I know of, but nobody has reported that their RT gaskets had failed. The certainly last lots lionger than the early GS gaskets did.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

When I pulled mine apart to change the gaskets at 8,000 miles they looked like new

Spyder Garage

Scotty, thats teriffic news. I won't have them mess with the Y gaskets and that will save me some money, along with leaving the spark plugs alone. Since I've always done my own oil changes, I'm thinking I need to have the shop look it over for things I haven't done, such as:

Inspect/Retorque drive belt pulley

Adj belt

Check motor mount clearance

Are there other things I should add to this list?

Spyder Garage

Scotty, thats teriffic news. I won't have them mess with the Y gaskets and that will save me some money, along with leaving the spark plugs alone. Since I've always done my own oil changes, I'm thinking I need to have the shop look it over for things I haven't done, such as:

Inspect/Retorque drive belt pulley

Adj belt

Check motor mount clearance

Are there other things I should add to this list?
    There is a 12K maintenance schedule in your manual. Spark plugs are supposed to be inspected at that interval. If they are pulled to be inspected, they may as well be changed. The first valve check is ridiculously scheduled for 6K, but many dealers prefer to do it at 12,000...although that is still very early, IMO. With warranty considerations, I'd leave what to include on the 12K service to your dealer's discretion. If that is too costly, at least figure what you can do yourself, and talk frankly to a trusted dealer to see what they feel is important. The front sprocket should have been retorqued at 6K, so I'd do it now. It is less important with the redesigned front sprocket than with the original. The engine clearance issue does not apply to all Spyders, but if you have had an increasing vibration, it probably needs to be looked at. The dealer can advise about any other service bulletins that need to be addressed. If you haven't had the throttle body update done, it should be.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good advice Scotty. Much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I like to use a large screwdriver positioned near the bottom of the boot, prying slightly upward while at the same time using two fingers on the upper part of the boot gently pulling upwards. Hasn't failed me in 40 years.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campoverde Fela View Post
    I like to use a large screwdriver positioned near the bottom of the boot, prying slightly upward while at the same time using two fingers on the upper part of the boot gently pulling upwards. Hasn't failed me in 40 years.
    Try using that method on the front plug of a RT. There just isn't any room .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spark plug

The front cyl in very hard to change, there is a trick to it but I don't think I can explain it in a message, would better done in a video... good idea for a "How to " video