Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The Start Of The NASCAR Season...

Well he's not my favorite driver; but I don't think that anybody can drive a car while looking out the passenger side window better than Kyle Busch! No more tandem racing; the pack is BACK!
    Qualifying for the front row is today, and the rest of the field gets sorted out on Thursday... It's too bad that the season is soooo short!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

What exactly is this "NASCAR" of which you speak??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    What exactly is this "NASCAR" of which you speak??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I hate to admit it but I'm beginning to like the kid. There is no denying that he can drive. I'm also excited for my first Nascar season in Pacific time. It will be nice to watch a race in the morning.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The kid is a driving fool, that's for sure. To save the car all the times he did, and pass from behind to win with a bent up car, was remarkable. I won't root for him, but I sure respect him. Glad they banned driver-to-driver communications, and killed the two-car hookups. Now if everybody can get used to that and the revised aerodynamics, we can enjoy the racing. If not, I guess we will just have to enjoy the wrecks.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I watched the Budweiser challenge yesterday. I am not understanding the part where they are now driving bumper to bumper, two cars at a time. The announcer said the rear car was offering a "push". The other thing was all those accidents when the did a mini pit manouever on the left rear side. That move caused all the bad accidents. It now seems very easy to "take someone out" at will.

I am a novice when it comes to these technecalities--but curious anyway.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Bob, I hate to admit it but I'm beginning to like the kid. There is no denying that he can drive. I'm also excited for my first Nascar season in Pacific time. It will be nice to watch a race in the morning.
    I'm a long time Big E fan, and Little E now but I found myself pulling for the 'shrub' at the finish line....the kid had an amazing race and actually seemed a little humble in winners circle....almost for certain he'll pull some bone-headed move shortly, like knocking Honaday out or something equally stupid and I'll be irritated with myself for thinking he might be becoming human.

But for now, at least, I got some huge respect for the kid, his Shootout was nothing short of incredible!
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I watched the Budweiser challenge yesterday. I am not understanding the part where they are now driving bumper to bumper, two cars at a time. The announcer said the rear car was offering a "push". The other thing was all those accidents when the did a mini pit manouever on the left rear side. That move caused all the bad accidents. It now seems very easy to "take someone out" at will.

I am a novice when it comes to these technecalities--but curious anyway.

With last years aero package the drivers discovered that two cars in a tight draft was the fastest way around the track....the rules have changed this year and they are returning to the larger pack stlye. Drivers are still trying to figure out if the 2-car thing will still work and where they should try it....they found out last night that in the corners is not the place to try it.

In order to be competitive a driver has to stay on the very razor edge of traction, so it's always been easy to take someone out, the slightest little touch in the left rear would do it....Earnhart Sr. perfected the move many years ago! 3
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And now for the day after dront row qualifying...
    Up over 193 mph!
    Last year the pole was set at about 186 mph...
    The new aero package is going to give them some power and speed to pay with for sure...
    And now on the thursday!
    "The shrub"...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am not understanding the part where they are now driving bumper to bumper, two cars at a time. The announcer said the rear car was offering a "push". The other thing was all those accidents when the did a mini pit manouever on the left rear side. That move caused all the bad accidents. It now seems very easy to "take someone out" at will.
    Good questions! I hope that I can offer a reasonably accurate and understandable answer...
    Back in the Good Old Days when it was all settled by horsepower and guts; you shoved your right foot as far forward as you could stand and hung on... But it got to a point on the larger tracks where the speeds were getting pretty dang scary. (over 212mph!) It all came to a head when Bobby Allison got launched up into the catch fences and tore down a whole bunch of it in a very spectacular incident. In order to reduce the speeds, they put "restrictor plates" between the carburetors and the manifolds to cut the horsepower from about 850 down to around 500... Now nobody had the power to get out in front and get away; if you tucked in behind somebody they found that 2 cars were faster than a single one, and a whole pack was faster than just two... For about 25 years they've been trying to come up with the proper balance between horsepower and aerodynamics so that the racing would be more than single-file freight trains...
    This year they gave a little more power by enlarging the restrictor plates, and also made the rear spoilers shorter... (They stick up into the air flowing over the body to restrict speed and provide downforce.) Now they run much faster, but with less downforce on them, they can get a bit "unsettled" when things get dicey...
    The "Bump drafting" originated when the cars were running nose to tail all of the time. Rules this year affect how long they can stay in that sort of positioning by changes in the cooling sytems and rear bumpers; you'll now overheat if you stay behind somebody too long. A tap on the rear bumper to nudge somebody along has been done ever since two or more cars lined up. This year they have found that it you tap somebody on the left rear going into a turn, it's a recipe for all kinds of mayhem... due to less stability at speed. You might have noticed the "Shark's fin" that runs down the C-pillar back to the spoiler on the left side... That's an attempt to provide more stability...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good questions! I hope that I can offer a reasonably accurate and understandable answer...
    Back in the Good Old Days when it was all settled by horsepower and guts; you shoved your right foot as far forward as you could stand and hung on... But it got to a point on the larger tracks where the speeds were getting pretty dang scary. (over 212mph!) It all came to a head when Bobby Allison got launched up into the catch fences and tore down a whole bunch of it in a very spectacular incident. In order to reduce the speeds, they put "restrictor plates" between the carburetors and the manifolds to cut the horsepower from about 850 down to around 500... Now nobody had the power to get out in front and get away; if you tucked in behind somebody they found that 2 cars were faster than a single one, and a whole pack was faster than just two... For about 25 years they've been trying to come up with the proper balance between horsepower and aerodynamics so that the racing would be more than single-file freight trains...
    This year they gave a little more power by enlarging the restrictor plates, and also made the rear spoilers shorter... (They stick up into the air flowing over the body to restrict speed and provide downforce.) Now they run much faster, but with less downforce on them, they can get a bit "unsettled" when things get dicey...
    The "Bump drafting" originated when the cars were running nose to tail all of the time. Rules this year affect how long they can stay in that sort of positioning by changes in the cooling sytems and rear bumpers; you'll now overheat if you stay behind somebody too long. A tap on the rear bumper to nudge somebody along has been done ever since two or more cars lined up. This year they have found that it you tap somebody on the left rear going into a turn, it's a recipe for all kinds of mayhem... due to less stability at speed. You might have noticed the "Shark's fin" that runs down the C-pillar back to the spoiler on the left side... That's an attempt to provide more stability...

Bob

You did a petty good job with your explanation of the evolution of restrictor-plate racing. This year they also took away driver-to-driver communication. Without the ability to see thru the car you are pushing, you need to communicate with them so you don’t push them into other cars. I think the drivers may have learned from the Bud Shootout that they will need to stay off each other in the corners, if not, there may not be enough cars to finish the Daytona 500.

On another NASCAR note I know there is a group of Spyder riders on here that do bike night at the Chatterbox restaurant in Augusta NJ. As you may or may not know, I am a Spyder rider and also run the StockCar Racing Experience at Pocono Raceway. I currently have one of my cars on display at the Chatterbox, if anyone gets by that way stop and see it.

pocono car.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great explanations to my novice type questions. I'm looking forawrd to watching more of the races--until the weather gets nice enough to go riding on Sundays.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking forawrd to watching more of the races--until the weather gets nice enough to go riding on Sundays.
    We plan our weekends rides for Saturdays, and Sunday mornings... unless circumstances offer up an unusual set of options...

Jesse,
    My son and I got to Pocono finally this past August...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We plan our weekends rides for Saturdays, and Sunday mornings... unless circumstances offer up an unusual set of options...

Jesse,
    My son and I got to Pocono finally this past August...
    Let me know next time you plan on being down this way.

Spyder Garage

Default Important stuff

Absolutely....all things of importance are scheduled around the RACE.....other stuff gets put off till Monday!!

SRE looks like an absolute blast!! Maybe.....just maybe...

arntufun

We go camping at a Nascar RV resort during camping season. They play the races on a huge 25' screen and all the Redneck campers (us included) gather round and watch the race and have a few cocktails and pitch horseshoes. It's alot of fun. Heres Holly after one of the races, watch your step Hunny.

9-11-11 058.jpg

Spyder Garage

I had been an avid NASCAR fan for many years. While stationed @ Dover AFB, I worked at the track as a firefighter on race days. My Last race, I had orders, was as a pit fireman. The day I met Dale sr. I became a DIEHARD Earnhardt fan from that very moment. He was a really nice guy, always made time for the fans. Harry Gant and the King, Richard Petty were true Southern Gentleman, as were many other drivers. Sadly, I have lost interest in the sport. It has gotten away from what it was years ago. It's not fan friendly anymore. The cars are the same except for the engines. Too many rule changes between races. And the cost of attending a race is rediculous. And some of the drivers are not as fan friendly anymore. I don't care for switching broadcast channels halfway through the season. I do still watch on occasion, but not like I used to. Then, I don't much watch Indy cars much anymore either. Just my rant.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stay off that back left side...
    Last edited by Tin Can; 02-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    We go camping at a Nascar RV resort during camping season. They play the races on a huge 25' screen and all the Redneck campers (us included) gather round and watch the race and have a few cocktails and pitch horseshoes. It's alot of fun. Heres Holly after one of the races, watch your step Hunny.

9-11-11 058.jpg
    That sounds like a good time....got the 'tailgating' parties, got the racing....dab a little race fuel behind your ears and the package is complete!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    dab a little race fuel behind your ears and the package is complete!
    We have GOT to be twin sons from different Mothers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post

9-11-11 058.jpg
    It's really not fair of you to put both Holly and "Fatal Attraction" in the same picture. I had to look at this picture three times to see the race car in the background!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Been a fan of Stock Car Racing since the late Sixties. Use to watch Bobby and Donnie Allison on Friday and Saturday nights at Pensacola and Mobile Short Tracks. Worked on a pit crew in 1970-1971. Was a blast. Met legends like Red Farmer, Buddy Baker, Neil Bonnet. Remember when Davey Allison was just a pain in the a** little kid not big enough to drive a car.
    Look forward to the NASCAR season each year. Bud Shoot out was a good race - I just hate to see so many cars torn up. Would much rather see 43 start and 43 finish with lots of good close passing but with drivers keeping their cool.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

My old man used to say it best...

"Terrible waste of machinery!"
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Dunno why, but I kinda lost interest in NASCAR when they stopped racing "stock cars". I do remember Lee driving the Kiekhafer Mercury 300B, and the only "Compact 500" when Hyperpac Valiants finish in the first 5 positions something like 2 laps ahead of everybody. Oh, yeah, and Fireball Roberts driving with his left arm out the window.

john