Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Fouling sparkplugs?

I got a “limp home mode” error so off to the shop. Dealership tells me that the sparkplugs were fouled due to over filling the gas tank and this is a known problem with the spyder. Is this true? I have been filling my tank to the top for a year now without a problem. There charging $150.00 for new sparkplugs even though I have the 3 year full coverage maintenance agreement. Sounds fishy to me.
    Last edited by drifter; 02-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Full Moon SE5 - Sport Rack, Sport/Touring Windshield, Backrest, 1" Riser

Spyder Garage

Someone is shoveling you a steaming pile of Hooey !! The amount of gas in your tank has nothing to do with fowled plugs ! Getting to much gas into the cylinder will fowl the plugs .
    Happy Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    I got a “limp home mode” error so off to the shop. Dealership tells me that the spark plugs were fouled due to over filling the gas tank and this is a known problem with the spider. Is this true? I have been filling my tank to the top for a year now without a problem. There charging $150.00 for new spark plugs even though I have the 3 year full coverage maintenance agreement. Sounds fishy to me.
    Your right it does stink, Filling your tank won't foul plugs. I would wonder if the plugs were fouled to begin with? And even they were fouled it would be more likely from a misfiring engine,; ie, bad spark plug wire.

Spyder Garage

wow souds like they charged about $140.00 to change plugs, although they aint easy to change

Spyder Garage

Default maybe try better gas.

My dealer told me that my RT should use at least 91 octane , or the highest I could buy (89 in places). But my RS would run fine on 87. He said it would foul the plugs, which it did on his demo unit. Not sure if this helps but FYI
    Lets Ride!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jima1153 View Post
    My dealer told me that my RT should use at least 91 octane , or the highest I could buy (89 in places). But my RS would run fine on 87. He said it would foul the plugs, which it did on his demo unit. Not sure if this helps but FYI
    Someone should write a book on what dealers will use as an excuse, When they the dealer hasn't even have a clue about whats causing a problem.
    One thing i know i'll bet it will be at least 100 pages.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a 2010 RT? Mine ate spark plugs like candy. It finally needed replacement of the plugs, plug wires, coil, and ECM. That cured the fouling except for that during hot restarts. BRP's dealer tech support can help your dealer track this down, but it sounds like they aren't interested in either solving the problem or in getting outside help. If you continue to foul plugs, I would contact Carlo for assistance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would also ask them to show you a BRP document about this "known problem", then ask them to give you another BRP written document about the proper method to fill the gas tank to prevent a recurrence.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    I got a “limp home mode” error so off to the shop. Dealership tells me that the sparkplugs were fouled due to over filling the gas tank and this is a known problem with the spyder. Is this true? I have been filling my tank to the top for a year now without a problem. There charging $150.00 for new sparkplugs even though I have the 3 year full coverage maintenance agreement. Sounds fishy to me.

And here I thought it would just burn up the muffler bearings.wow!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That dealer is giving you the of the month...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't visit the RT Sections much (or at all) because I have an RS. But there is some pretty funny stuff over here that I can see I've been missing. This is a great line! These dealerships just never run out of 'Incredible Truths', and they are so good at saying this stuff with a straight face too!

I think Myth Busters could spend a few seasons doing just Dealer Statements like this.

RT's have had plug fouling issues whether or not you fill your tank. That is why BRP has gone to the hotter spark plugs for the RT.

My theroy is many just don't ride the RT hard enough. The Rotax needs to spin and I think many RT owners lug their engines and never whack the throttle. It's like making a thoroughbred race horse walk everywhere. You're going to have issues.

While I am not recommending this to anyone, I've always topped off my RS since the day I purchased it. I usually run about 25 miles before the first little pie wedge at the top of my fuel gauge goes away. I know Spyder owners that don't even know there is a pie wedge sliver above the top block on the fuel gauge because they never filled their tank enough to get that to register.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't visit the RT Sections much (or at all) because I have an RS. But there is some pretty funny stuff over here that I can see I've been missing. This is a great line! These dealerships just never run out of 'Incredible Truths', and they are so good at saying this stuff with a straight face too!

I think Myth Busters could spend a few seasons doing just Dealer Statements like this.

RT's have had plug fouling issues whether or not you fill your tank. That is why BRP has gone to the hotter spark plugs for the RT.

My theroy is many just don't ride the RT hard enough. The Rotax needs to spin and I think many RT owners lug their engines and never whack the throttle. It's like making a thoroughbred race horse walk everywhere. You're going to have issues.

While I am not recommending this to anyone, I've always topped off my RS since the day I purchased it. I usually run about 25 miles before the first little pie wedge at the top of my fuel gauge goes away. I know Spyder owners that don't even know there is a pie wedge sliver above the top block on the fuel gauge because they never filled their tank enough to get that to register.
    I Agree

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Now that there is funny!"

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift. ... Eleanor Roosevelt
    2008 Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Not if you lube them with Flurbinstein grease with a flattlemyster tool.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dont forget to have themn change your turn signal fluid ... now we all can agree thats a hard job 15 hours shop time per all data LOL .

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    dont forget to have themn change your turn signal fluid ... now we all can agree thats a hard job 15 hours shop time per all data LOL .
    I think they do that when they rotate the air in your tires....

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think they do that when they rotate the air in your tires....
    They don't rotate the air in the tires any more , The new bulletin # 001 recommends just changing the winter air to summer air. with at least 78% nitogen'.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    They don't rotate the air in the tires any more , The new bulletin # 001 recommends just changing the winter air to summer air. with at least 78% nitogen'.
    Only problem with that is. BRP doesn't list the percentage of nitrogen anymore. Just summer air and winter air so I guess they have us locked in.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default Fouling Sparkplugs

This past week I had a plug that was fouling and they hooked up the computer to it and got no codes. The mechanic told me that he had seen several RT's that were fouling their plugs. He suggested to me that I switch to NGK KR8BI. I'm due a maintenance for 3000. He said he would replace them then for me if I bought the plugs and brought them with me. He also mentioned to me that if I moved my spyder by starting and moving it and then shutting it down before the motor warmed up, it would possibly cause the plugs to fail due to carbon buildup.... I don't move mine around the garage that way. Even though my plug fouled, it corrected itself and I continued on.

The new plugs are $10-$20 each depending on where you purchase them. I'm going to try his advice.

Spyder Garage

When you go from winter air to summer air you need to recalibrate your fluxcapitor.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RanHag View Post
    This past week I had a plug that was fouling and they hooked up the computer to it and got no codes. The mechanic told me that he had seen several RT's that were fouling their plugs. He suggested to me that I switch to NGK KR8BI. I'm due a maintenance for 3000. He said he would replace them then for me if I bought the plugs and brought them with me. He also mentioned to me that if I moved my spyder by starting and moving it and then shutting it down before the motor warmed up, it would possibly cause the plugs to fail due to carbon buildup.... I don't move mine around the garage that way. Even though my plug fouled, it corrected itself and I continued on.

The new plugs are $10-$20 each depending on where you purchase them. I'm going to try his advice.
    If the plug fouls repeatedly, it is likely a bad spark plug wire. Could also be a bad coil or ECM. Could even be a combination. Could also be a throttle calibration error, if both plugs foul. None will leave a code behind. The tech needs to learn some old fashioned mechanics.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the plug fouls repeatedly, it is likely a bad spark plug wire. Could also be a bad coil or ECM. Could even be a combination. Could also be a throttle calibration error, if both plugs foul. None will leave a code behind. The tech needs to learn some old fashioned mechanics.
    If that is the case, then shouldn't the original warranty cover it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RanHag View Post
    If that is the case, then shouldn't the original warranty cover it?
    It should, but it may be a struggle...especially with a dealer that is naive enough to think that overfilling the gas tank caused it.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

arntufun

The tech may be right on this one. You and I have never taken the 5 hour internet training course to become a certified Spyder tech, so how would we know.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    The tech may be right on this one. You and I have never taken the 5 hour internet training course to become a certified Spyder tech, so how would we know.
    If? the Technician took the 5 Hour INTERNET Course. He must be at least Tin Certified.
    He would have to complete the 10 hour INTERNET Course. to become Platinum Certified.