View Poll Results: Is the Spyder your FIRST Motorcycle type vehicle?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, my Spyder is the First motorcycle I've ever owned

53 31.36%
  • No, I've owned other motocycles before getting the Spyder

116 68.64%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Well said Scotty and right on point.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Never owned nor rode a bike before I got my Spyder. Always wanted to, but I was afraid I could not hold it up. Heard about the Spyder, looked it up on the internet, called a dealer and made a deal over the phone. The rest is history. I LOVE my Spyder. I have now checked one item off my bucket

list. Next item---- SKYDIVING

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this is my 5th . I had a 96 and a 99 Suzuki Gsxr 750, then went to a 05 Yamaha YZF-R6 then my wife and I bought a 2010 Ninja 250 for her but she doesnt ride it anymore .. and NOW we have the spyder . I love the fact the Spyder is pulling more and more people away from the dark syde ;P and they are becoming bikers

Spyder Garage

So when does the first spyder clone from a major mfg. show up...and who will it be? Honda? .....We need a price stabilizer...or BRP does...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you get started on one of the RD 200s??
    To get started; just slip the clutch and watch the blue smoke fly!
    I did indeed start with the RD 200. Quite the "cute" little bike and especially good for taking the test. Small and maneuverable and no restrictions on the license. I think I owned the bike all of 4 weeks, took the test and traded up to the 350 model with the 6 speed racing engine. Now may I just say, that was one fun ride! Rarely able to get to 6th (and stay legal that is).

Di

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Our Spyder is the first motorcyle we ever rode or owned. On October 15 2010 our son was killed in Balad Iraq. The PGR were there for us, so we joined the PGR to give back. But we were so tired of being the only cage. We test drove and took a class on how to ride a Spyder. Fell in love with it and bought it. We ride in honor our our son Sr Airman James A Hansen, who by the way did not like motorcycles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Started with a Honda 450 Nighthawk as my first bike. Went in the Army and sold it. Came back and got a Honda VFR700 Interceptor. Moved to the mountains and it didn't do well on dirt do I got a Honda XR650L. Notice the trend here with Honda? Got me a Honda generator too. Can't beat them.

Wife was looking for a long time for a trike and saw a comercial on saturday morning for Can Am. Looked for a dealer, went and talked to them and rode a '10 RTS home that night. She wanted to start riding so we went to an empty parking lot and let her do about 50 miles there. She got tired riding on the back after learning so we now own 2 Spyders.

2010 RT-S and 2011 RS-S

One having ridden and owned 2 wheelers before
    One having never ridden or owned anything before

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hansensmomx2 View Post
    Our Spyder is the first motorcyle we ever rode or owned. On October 15 2010 our son was killed in Balad Iraq. The PGR were there for us, so we joined the PGR to give back. But we were so tired of being the only cage. We test drove and took a class on how to ride a Spyder. Fell in love with it and bought it. We ride in honor our our son Sr Airman James A Hansen, who by the way did not like motorcycles.
    There seems to be no end to the reasons people own a Spyder. This one is about as unique as I've ever heard. I am very sorry for your loss, but I do very much appreciate what your son did for his country. Our military does not get enough credit for what they do.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

+1
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There seems to be no end to the reasons people own a Spyder. This one is about as unique as I've ever heard. I am very sorry for your loss, but I do very much appreciate what your son did for his country. Our military does not get enough credit for what they do.
    Thank you BajaRon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

quads, three wheel off road trikes ( if anyone remembers ) ILLEGAL/BANNED here now, dirt bikes ( both street and trail ) and then to the BELOVED SPYDER. As a matter of fact still have a 1988 XR200R, with probably at most 3000 km on it for sale, excellent shape. OH THE MEMORIES... Never a true street bike tho, just scared the crap outta me, for some reason.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rode my first dirt bike at the age of 5. When quads came out I started riding those and loved them. I did take the motorcycle riding course in 2004 to get my M1, but never bought a motorcycle. Then Spyder came out and bit me, it is the best thing I have ever bought.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwidow74 View Post
    I rode my first dirt bike at the age of 5. When quads came out I started riding those and loved them. I did take the motorcycle riding course in 2004 to get my M1, but never bought a motorcycle. Then Spyder came out and bit me, it is the best thing I have ever bought.
    Blackwidow74 it's good to see you on here! Wow you started when you were 5,cool, I had a mini bike with about 2hp ; but that was age 11.............. So Nikki rare you going to Spyderfest?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.037399,-118.470733
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It had been 32 years since I rode a motorcycle due to physical problems with ankles and right knee along with an inner left ear problem effecting my balance. Before having these problems, at the age of 15, I found a 250 CC 1948 BSA at a barn sale and paid the farmer $35.00 to get it out of his barn. It was his sons who was in the Marines and it sat for 7 years where he left it. My metal shop teacher and his son helped me in restoring it and after a ride to a bike shop with my brother and two friends, the owners of the bike shop wanted it, to make a drag bike out of it. After some dealing I traded it even for a 650 CC, 1965 BSA Lightening Rocket in 1968 and kept this til 1977, when my ex talked me into selling it. My brother tried to talk me into getting 1963 BMW R27 with a sidecar, but I wasn't interested and now kicking myself for not listening to him. Along came the Spyder and I'm back in the open air and loving it. Not far from where I live there is an engineer who has some vintage bikes and two I have seen on the road. One is a BMW R26 or 27 with a sidecar and the other is a Royal Enfield also with a sidecar. I did finally meet him at the grocery store and that day he had the Royal Enfield.

Spyder Garage

Talking Kinda Sorta

I had a Simplex motorcycle back in 1958 before I turned 16. Rode it over the back roads of the Thumb of Michigan. Got nabbed by the State Troopers on Memorial Day weekend impeding traffic on the one north south highway (2 lane) in the county. The judge told my dad to get my drivers license when I turned 16, less than 2 months hence and he would tear up the ticket. Needless to say, I was grounded for life.

I might be loosing it, but I remember a television program called "Beyond Tomorrow" where they showed what I believe was a Spyder prototype. I decided I would really get one if they ever made it to market. Two years ago, while web surfing, I discovered the Spyder was on the market and there was a dealer less than 50 miles away. After visiting the dealership, I sat on a yellow RS and a Black 2010 RT, didn't like the sit of the RT but loved the RS. Enrolled in the Motorcycle Safety Course the same day and got my certificate, got my endorsement on my license when I renewed on my 68th birthday. Had the delivered to my house. I wanted the yellow, but they didn't have a yellow SE, only silver. I taught myself to ride it in the neighborhood and although I have owned it almost two years, I have just over 1600 miles on the odometer. That is slowly being rectified as I get more adventuresome.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My first motorcycle was a 1946 Harly Davidson and I was a proud 12 year old to small to ride it. It was really for my dad, but it was mine.
    I rode it the first time by myself before I turned 13, and my mother damn near killed him. Been riding ever sense. I have owned and ridden most every type bike out there, been down 5 time hard, hospital 4 times hard, and still ride every time I get the chance.
    Rode two wheels right up until the vertigo made it impossible to be safe anymore, thats when the spyder came into my life.
    RideSafe RideSmooth SpyderRiders!!!!!!!!!

Joly

Spyder Garage

This was my first motorcycle ever!! Saw the Spyder on a commercial, looked it up on the 'net, then just started daydreaming... looked like it was pretty easy to ride, operate. Never even thought of riding a bike until I saw . Came to this site by pure accident, (glad I did), read up on a lot of the posts, troubles, trials and tribulations. Had some doubt as to IF I really wanted to do this. Then, made up my mind, said to myself, "You only live once, make the most of it!" Took the plunge. Only thing is, by the time I had made up my mind, local dealer (Performance Cycles of Greenwood) had sold the RT that I wanted!! (it was my fault, took too long to decide) Got on the 'net, asked about a dozen other dealers for the RT that I wanted, no luck. Just about to give up, and say it wasn't meant to be when I found Mountain Motor Sports in Conyers, GA. Talked on the phone with them, did everything I needed to do, week later, I'm trailering Spydee home! Never ridden a bike at all, but I had to have a Spyder. And the best part..... I can't ride it enough!! Just wish I had some company, since I have seen 's around town, only met one person while I was riding mine. Oh well, won't stop me from enjoying it! Now I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine into getting one. I think it's gonna be an easy sell. Look out Performance, I got a live one on the hook!

Spyder Garage

At least 55 years ago (so I was 5 or younger) my father tried a Vespa and gave me a ride. Scared the crap out of me.

Sometime in high school I tried a friend's 175 Suzuki. Getting rolling was OK, but I must have missed the instructions about stopping. Having to choose between a swimming pool and a cement wall, I took the wall. No real damage other than to my pride. But lost any interst I might have had in bikes.

Then, at 55, I figured I'd try again. Except, my 1st bike was a very cool old-school '76 Kawasaki KZ900. Not a great 1st bike, but I was determined. Got all of 46 miles over several weeks of terrorizing the neighbourhood when the cam chain got stuffed up into the engine. But, my good sense and training had me pull in the clutch, so nothing else was broken. Except my momentum to learn to ride.

The next summer, the 900 was still in pieces so I got a used 650 V-Strom. Great bike. Even managed to get my license. On the 4th try... Got many great miles that summer, and the next.

One night the next winter, though (and thats about 6 months long here in the Great White North), I read about the Spyder. The nearest dealer is 80 miles away. Long story short, he took a trade on my Suzuki and I rode the dealer's own GS (with only 2,300 km on it) back home. We had a couple of great summers. And maybe 15,000 km.

Then another 6 months of darkness, and I read about the RT. Hmmm, the mods I'd made to the GS were all to make it more of a tourer, so why not an RT instead. By this time it was August, though, summer was mostly done, and the dealers were stocking snowmobiles. Luck would have it, there was an RT in the colour and trim that I wanted about 150 miles away. Got the closer dealer to bring it in for me, and immediately I headed for the west coast on an extended test drive. Sold the GS this past summer. We went to the Montreal and back, so have another 15,000 km or so done. Think I'll keep the RT!

Then my Kawa came home late last summer, and we're trying to re-establish a relationship. I even re-did a 2-wheel training course last fall. They said I should become an instructor, so maybe I've still got it for a bike.

But I'm staying with the Spyder!

Except, here it is during the season of the long night, so what else is there out there to try... ;-)
    Last edited by RodO; 02-14-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spalling

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    This will be hard to believe but it is the truth! I got my 2011 RTS SE5 in July. I have never driven a motorcycle, snow mobile, atv or jet ski! And I never test rode a Spyder! I did some research and bought one. I absolutely love it. Friends tell me it was a mid-life crisis...
    Having had several Spyders and crises, I prefer to think of them as mid-life opportunities!
    Last edited by RodO; 02-14-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My First

This Spyder is my first Motorcycle, my girlfriend and I love it. Wish it wasn't in the shop so much, we could be riding it more, but Love it all the same.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is my first, but I now also own a 250cc dual sport.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe