Spyder Garage

Question HARD SHIFTING ON 2011 RTS ?

I HAVE A 2011 RTS WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION , IF I DO ALOT OF CITY STOP & GO DRIVING ,IT WILL START WHEN I SHIFT OUT OF 1ST GOING TO 2ND IT WILL DOWNSHIFT BACK TO 1ST & SOMETIMES FROM 2ND TO 3RD IT WOULD DOWNSHIFT BACK TO 2ND GEAR. THIS PROBLEM GOES AWAY IF GO AWAYS IN 5TH GEAR , BUT COMES BACK IF I START ALOT OF CITY DRIVING AGAIN. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR KNOW OF ANY SOLUTION TO IT THANK YOU, SEE YOU AT SPYDER FEST 2012

Spyder Garage

Are you shifting up in the "sweet spot"? Generally 4000-5000 rpms. The likes high revs.

Most ryders crank the throttle until the sweet spot is reached then punch the shift to the next gear without backing off on the throttle. This usually results in "seamless" shifting.

You can let the shift down by itself if you want. I usually manually down shift at 4000 for 4, 3, and 2nd gear, and 3000 for first. Also resulting in seamless shifting. I just don't like the clunk that is involved when shifting.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You have to be at high enough rpm, and maintain high enough rpm, that the Spyder does not downshift on its own. It will also hesitate when upshifting, or fail to upshift, if you try to shift too early. Try running around exactly one gear lower than you have been, and see what happens. BTW, the Spyder is happiest at 5,000 rpm or higher.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!