Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I was with Forrest when he experienced this problem. We were headed to Biketoberfest in Daytona going up Interstate 4. The traffic was fairly heavy. We were trucking along in the inside lane doing about 75 MPH when all of a sudden Forrest's spyder shut down.

He was able to negotiate his spyder over to the right hand side (how I don't know) and came to rest on the shoulder. Traffic was wizzing by.

I didn't realize what had happened for a few seconds so I had gone by him. I worked my way over the the shoulder and ran back to check on him. As he said, it started back up in just a matter of seconds, and we continued to Daytona.

My thoughts at the time was that he was awfully lucky (and with some help of his riding skills) to avoid an accident.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Check Eng Limp Mode

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I was with Forrest when he experienced this problem. We were headed to Biketoberfest in Daytona going up Interstate 4. The traffic was fairly heavy. We were trucking along in the inside lane doing about 75 MPH when all of a sudden Forrest's spyder shut down.

He was able to negotiate his spyder over to the right hand side (how I don't know) and came to rest on the shoulder. Traffic was wizzing by.

I didn't realize what had happened for a few seconds so I had gone by him. I worked my way over the the shoulder and ran back to check on him. As he said, it started back up in just a matter of seconds, and we continued to Daytona.

My thoughts at the time was that he was awfully lucky (and with some help of his riding skills) to avoid an accident.

Chris

I'm not saying that problem I have experienced is the problem with Forrest's RT
    but I had similar occurrences with my 2010 RTs Ltd going into limp mode and flashing a
    Check Eng Lite but showing no codes but it never happened at high speeds of course when this happens the first thing I'm going to do is check oil level...and that has never been a problem and
    shutting down bike and rebooting system with ignition switch always got bike going again but it did happen again on other rides but shutting down and restarting system always got me back home
    sometimes 100 + miles one time from Key West Fl. to Bluffton Sc.

So back home in my garage I went through all circuit test on oil pressure system and all I could
    determine was the possibility that the oil pressure switch/sensor was the most likely suspect.
    Because it does not throw a code at least not on mine and BRP has changed design of the sensor
    but part number for sensor has not changed and the $12.00 new unit cured my RT. Part #420256912...Like I said and not saying that is Forrest's cure, But definitely worth the money for and easy install and possible cure....

Freebob...

Spyder Garage

I honestly cannot believe that 4 thottle valves are defective, there must be something else causing spydey to go into limp mode.Are the techs doing any pinpoint tests or just replacing parts.I worked on fuel injected vehicles from the time they came out and dont remember any part failing twice so close together.When this happens there is usually wireing connection problems.Sorry your having all these problems Forest hope they figure them out soon.I do know that on anything with this type of problem that we tend to forget the basics and expect the worst and just replace the part

Spyder Garage

Default How long ?

When has this problem started? I have had problem with other things, like my GPS, wireless telephones, tv's, helmit to helmit wireless communication, and computer wireless communications. I traced some problems back to solar flares (date & time of flares). That's IMHO.

Mike

ps. This maybe the beginning of the end of the world (12/21/2012), SO RIDE Till THE WHEELS FALL OFF or till the next limp mode.
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 02-19-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default limp mode issue on new 2012 RT Ltd.

We purchased our Spyder in December. With about 300 miles on the bike we went into limp mode while driving on a country road at about 50 mph. The cruise was on. The first think I noticed was the cruise popping off and immediate drop in speed. We pulled over and called our dealer. I could not have driven it another mile...it kept cutting off...would restart and then immediately cut off again. Fortunately we were only about 10 miles from the dealership. Couldn't have asked for a better response from the dealer. They came out with a trailer and picked us up and then took us home. The next day they said it was the throttle body and had ordered one from BRP in Atlanta as a complete system including new sensors. Exactly one week later we had the Spyder back and it seemed to run better than when new. Can't say enough good things about our dealer. The next week we received two calls from the service manager to see if it was running okay and if we were happy. Took a 100 mile ride this weekend...all performed well but agree totally with everyone on this thread who truly wants BRP to fully address the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode

I am looking at buying a new RT-S SE5 and frankly all this talk about "limp mode' has me concerned.I have been riding for 45+ years but 2011 was not real good for me as I totaled 2 different bikes.I now want and think I need the security of 3 wheels.I have a Goldwing trike now but don't really like it.I was hopeing that the Spyder might be a solution for me.So how frequent is this limp mode and how successful are the dealers in coming up with a fix? BTW how long is the Spyder warrenty?
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I am looking at buying a new RT-S SE5 and frankly all this talk about "limp mode' has me concerned.I have been riding for 45+ years but 2011 was not real good for me as I totaled 2 different bikes.I now want and think I need the security of 3 wheels.I have a Goldwing trike now but don't really like it.I was hopeing that the Spyder might be a solution for me.So how frequent is this limp mode and how successful are the dealers in coming up with a fix? BTW how long is the Spyder warrenty?

I'll answer in reverse order. The manufacturer's warranty is two years. You can get extended warranty contracts.

In answering your main concern, I would simply say that for the 10 or more comments you've seen, there are literally 100's out there that have had no problem.

Hope this helps.

Chris

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I'll answer in reverse order. The manufacturer's warranty is two years. You can get extended warranty contracts.

In answering your main concern, I would simply say that for the 10 or more comments you've seen, there are literally 100's out there that have had no problem.

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Agreed. While I have never entered limp mode at speed (10,000 mi),, I can imagine what it would be like. And while it hasn't happened to me, I would still like to see it changed before I do experience it. It hasn't deterred me from owning and loving my RT, but this is one thing that can and should be improved/changed by BRP.

Spyder Garage

Hope this helps.

Chris
    +1 Three Spyders, tens of thousands of miles, only one limp mode ever...in the garage after an oil change.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I only have 5,900 miles on BR1 with two limp modes. 1) I was riding the brake. 2) Steering sensor, but I rode home 75 miles at the speed limit and the next day when I started it up to take it to the dealer, no limp mode on the screen. That happened around 1800 miles. Nothing since.

I am riding my Spyder more and my Motor Trike less. I must say, I have 61,000 on Punkin' and NO problems of any sort, but I sure like the "Spyder Ryde".

Try it, you will like it. Some have had problems and many have had none. I do not consider my "quick fixes" as problems.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to have to say, when leaving Fort Lauderdale yesterday morning, I got 3 Limp modes within 45 minutes while running to get on the Fl Turnpike for the ride home. Luckly I did not have any problems on the turnpike but I did not turn off the bike to get gas for the return home.
    Hopefully, next week parts will arrive and I will get all fixed up. This Limp stuff is getting OLD.

PS:
    I was informed that I had two throttle bodies installed at WPS in Clearwater, so the count is 5 throttle bodies, 1 OEM, and 4 replacements. However I did not recall the 2nd one at WPS maybe they went ahead and installed i while the spyder was in for service one day.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 02-24-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

You have a large set of To get on the TP knowing limp mode is going to strike
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Sorry to have to say, when leaving Fort Lauderdale yesterday morning, I got 3 Limp modes within 45 minutes while running to get on the Fl Turnpike for the ride home. Luckly I did not have any problems on the turnpike but I did not turn off the bike to get gas for the return home.
    Hopefully, next week parts will arrive and I will get all fixed up. This Limp stuff is getting OLD.

PS:
    I was informed that I had two throttle bodies installed at WPS in Clearwater, so the count is 5 throttle bodies, 1 OEM, and 4 replacements. However I did not recall the 2nd one at WPS maybe they went ahead and installed i while the spyder was in for service one day.
    what parts are being replaced now?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... so the count is 5 throttle bodies, 1 OEM, and 4 replacements.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

It is Monday and Guess What?

More Limp Modes with Check Engne, 4 in all this evening after having dinner at Red Lobster.. It is just wonderfull of the safety that the Limp mode gives especially when I wanted to get home before the rain got me wet, but, no such luck, liquid sunshine caught up with me.
    Isn't riding a . just wonderfull... Wow... I can't hardly wait for the next outing.

The good news is ... Suposedly, CPS has ordered the parts, dand BRP has shipped them.. I will know tomorrow as I will call CPS for the status of pieces and parts on their scheduled arrival date.

Spyder Garage

PS:
    Forrest: It is very easy to check on how many throttle bodies have been replaced. Ask the sevice writer to print out your complete warranty record. He can do this in a matter of seconds. It will show what has been done to your Spyder under warranty no matter where the work was performed.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Walt... I will ask the next visit.

I think it will be informing to me just what they have done under waranty and not being told when it was serviced..

Justin is a great guy...

Spyder Garage

He's right Forrest. I had, Jason, at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, print me up a complete service record on my spyder.

Chris

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Well... I do hope this is the last of the Limp modes...
    CPS replaced the Kill switch assembly ( red switch on right handle bar)
    Also they repaired my clutch and I have no clue and don't care to know at this point anything else they have done..
    I have riden several hundred miles since the service and NO, NO< NO LIMP/ check engine MODES.
    The Iron Horse is now ready for the longer rides..

I wish to thank all who has been supporting me in this very very scary problem.. I hope and pray that no other will experience what I have experienced on the road with the limp mode BS..

Perhaps, BRP will have a solution soon.. At least I hope so, dropping from 70 miles an hour to 20-25 in an almost instant with no warning on the expressway is not nice.. not at all. All I have to say about the Limp mode, if it is for safety, I ask for saftety of What.. Engine or LIFE ???

Thanks again to CPS and BRP for getting me out of Limp mode.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Excellent news Forrest.
    Hope you have many trouble free miles!
    Actually relieved it wasn't another TB.

Spyder Garage

Hay Forrest,
    I see your still having trouble with your bike. As I told you, mine would do the same thing. It's getting worse. Before I could get it started. You know, wait and try and it would finily start. Today that all went flying out the window. It started when I left Reggy"s house. I'll call the dealer tomorrow. This sucks. Once you do a trip on a RT-S you don't want to travel long on a RS. But you might see me in Daytona on my RS. Got to get fixed before SpyderFest. I'm going to run down stairs and try again. Wishful thinking I limp it to shop in the morning. Put it on a trailer take it to the dealers. See if clearing the codes will help. Anyway I'll see you one way or another next week in Daytona.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear the troubles you are encountering Steve.. Hope you get to ride the RT to Daytona..If you happen to ride the RS to Daytona, I have a sport windshield that is lots of fun ..
    Thank you for the exteded size break pedals.. They are grrrreat

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spy+ View Post
    Thank you for the exteded size break pedals.. They are grrrreat
    Limp mode will stop you quicker at higher speed...

yes the extended pad is super.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to report that I have had 3 Limp Modes with check engine today, Tuesday Marche 13, 2012
    1 going to Daytona and 2 Returning home... Yes I was on the expressway all three times.

If you think it not scary... go 70 and then hit your kill switch.. However, it may not cut your speed quite as fast to 20-30 MPH as Limp Mode but you will get a good Idea.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to report that I have had 3 Limp Modes with check engine today, Tuesday Marche 13, 2012
    1 going to Daytona and 2 Returning home... Yes I was on the expressway all three times.

If you think it not scary... go 70 and then hit your kill switch.. However, it may not cut your speed quite as fast to 20-30 MPH as Limp Mode but you will get a good Idea.

you have some set of ...no doubt about that. Be careful man.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons