Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    It it can do that then what not disply a message as to what triggered the limp mode and then allow the driver 5-10 minutes to get off the road.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

OMG... 55 and counting...... KER >> BOOM...

Spyder Garage

Went out earlier to the grocery store, everything was fine. Came out started the Spyder and a check engine lite came on
    I called the dealer again and spoke to the service again and they recommended I trailer it in on Saturday morning and they woould have
    another look at it. I came home on the easy side and parked it. I went out a little while ago to put it in the garage, and NO Check Engine LIGHT
    ON! (WTF) is going on. I have a little less than 600 miles on this thing, BAD SPYDER!

The dealer had it for almost 3 hours yesterday, couldn't they figure out something then? It's 60 miles one way up there! I will miss the ride to Lake Placid on Saturday just so they can try to fix it again. BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The idea of going to Heaven Peacefully isn't in my RIDERS BOOK,
    Sliding my Spider in sideways, screaming "Man What A Ride" Sounds
    Just fine!

If the police didn't see ME, I didn't do it!

Spyder Garage

The problem that time was the trottle position sensor FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If it stalled and would not readily reach 3,000 rpm, you had a secondary problem. I would suspect ignition problems if they continued, or it could have been bad gas (which will throw a "check engine" light when it fouls the O2 sensor).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    The problem that time was the trottle position sensor FYI
    That would do it, too. The point is that what you experienced was not a normal limp mode. Limp mode may have been engaged, but the Spyder failed to reach more that the 14 mph because of something else, not because of limp mode. Limp mode can be painful, but sometimes not as painful as severe the mechanical or electrical problems that trigger it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JolyStNick View Post
    Went out earlier to the grocery store, everything was fine. Came out started the Spyder and a check engine lite came on
    I called the dealer again and spoke to the service again and they recommended I trailer it in on Saturday morning and they woould have
    another look at it. I came home on the easy side and parked it. I went out a little while ago to put it in the garage, and NO Check Engine LIGHT
    ON! (WTF) is going on. I have a little less than 600 miles on this thing, BAD SPYDER!

The dealer had it for almost 3 hours yesterday, couldn't they figure out something then? It's 60 miles one way up there! I will miss the ride to Lake Placid on Saturday just so they can try to fix it again. BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry you will miss the Lake Placid ride, where is your dealer?

Spyder Garage

Default BRP are you listening?

Sorry to hear about your troubles Forrest. I have experienced limp mode but all of the times I was only going between 10, 25, 40 mph. The time I ran out of gas at 80 mph while trying to pass a big rig doing about the same on interstate 10 East bound headed to Texas I had about 4 seconds to get over and coast off the highway, that was frightening losing power at that speed. With that said if it was to occur in limp mode where it forces the RPM's down. BRP has software engineers that I hope are already working on a fix.

My bike is currently in the shop for a leak in the rear air shock, I would add air every other day. Not the worst thing to live with. But I also got a orange light for Brake Failure code several times, & "High Temp Warning" that sent me into limp mode. They (dealership) said that it was low on coolant, they added and it all came out after I rode home. So now it's back in the shop. I miss riding....... I wanna cry.

Maybe with the reactions here, this thread can be forwarded to the appropriate party.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

That would do it, too. The point is that what you experienced was not a normal limp mode. Limp mode may have been engaged, but the Spyder failed to reach more that the 14 mph because of something else, not because of limp mode. Limp mode can be painful, but sometimes not as painful as severe the mechanical or electrical problems that trigger it.
    Not sure I agree with the statement in RED.... LIFE is more important as you can always replace mechanical or electrical problems but a LIFE how do you fix or repair that?
    Sorry Scottie I am a bit uptight for the LIMP modes I have had and where they have occured.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I wish to thank all for the comments posted as I am so sorry that I am not the only one having such a problem.
    Perhaps action on BRP's part will be forth comming.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Not sure I agree with the statement in RED.... LIFE is more important as you can always replace mechanical or electrical problems but a LIFE how do you fix or repair that?
    Sorry Scottie I am a bit uptight for the LIMP modes I have had and where they have occured.
    We're not on the same page Forrest. I'm not arguing the limp mode question. I feel it is a serious safety hazard the way it is implemented right now! I was just saying that it can be something else that actually caused slowing way down (to 14 mph). It is that condition that caused the limp mode, not the other way around. I understand your worry, and I'm glad you took me up on what I suggested in my PM. I think that may get some action if anything will. This problem needs to be corrected!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have been in limp mode many times. Typically, I can maintain about 40+ mph. This is not fast enough for the interstate, but it is usually okay for secondary streets. Once while traveling in Nebraska, I went into limp mode at about 65 mph. Oddly enough, I was able to maintain about 60 mph for an extended distance with the throttle wide open. After a while, when I lost rpm's, they could not be regained and I ended up at about 40 mph. It seemed like there was some kind of delayed execution of limp mode in that circumstance. I wonder if BRP has some sort of safety mechanism built into the limp mode subroutine?? On the other hand, there may have been some other unknown factors in my particular case.

Has anyone else had a delayed execution of limp mode?

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

We're not on the same page Forrest. I'm not arguing the limp mode question. I feel it is a serious safety hazard the way it is implemented right now! I was just saying that it can be something else that actually caused slowing way down (to 14 mph). It is that condition that caused the limp mode, not the other way around. I understand your worry, and I'm glad you took me up on what I suggested in my PM. I think that may get some action if anything will. This problem needs to be corrected!
    You are absolutely correct... I think BRP has had long enough time to resolve the Throttle Body problem as they started in July of 2011 Mine actually started in August 2011.

Regardless of what causes the LIMP MODE.. that dangerous function needs to be addressed YESTERDAY, not tomorrow and fixed today.

Spyder Garage

Is this primarily an RT issue? Perhaps I scanned the responses to quickly, but I couldn't find many GS/RS responses.
    I realize all of them can go limp but the responses seem dominated by the larger and more expensive bikes.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Is this primarily an RT issue? Perhaps I scanned the responses to quickly, but I couldn't find many GS/RS responses.
    I realize all of them can go limp but the responses seem dominated by the larger and more expensive bikes.

If this was posted in the general section, you would have seen more input from RS riders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    If this was posted in the general section, you would have seen more input from RS riders.
    The RS is cable driven and the RT is fly by wire and that's why there are more RT issues.

arntufun

I'm very surprised that this whole limp mode in general has not been brought up to BRP. Someone must have brought this up to BRP at one time. I'm curious to know what the response was. I get the whole reasoning behind it, but I don't like how fast it happened to me or all these petty reasons for it to engage.

I have a GS/RS and my one dangerous experience was enough to jump on any and all bandwagons that will push for a fix. My limp mode engaging might of been for a different reason than yours, but the end result was the same. Sign me up.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

.....One thing is for certain, having your brake lights burned out should not suddenly slow you to 3,000 rpm. It shouldn't even trigger limp mode, just a warning. JMHO

Agree 100%. If one enters limp mode due to faulty brake lights,,, and Spyder speed reduces to 30 mph on an 80mph freeway,,,, well that is just begging to be rear ended by a cager. The whole limp mode really needs to be gone.

SO, if we formed some sort of petition to BRP, what would be the number of signatures that would be required for them to notice? Is it 1000, 5000 or more? Would NHTSB be an option??

I would definitely add my name to the list.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

Agree 100%. If one enters limp mode due to faulty brake lights,,, and Spyder speed reduces to 30 mph on an 80mph freeway,,,, well that is just begging to be rear ended by a cager. The whole limp mode really needs to be gone.

SO, if we formed some sort of petition to BRP, what would be the number of signatures that would be required for them to notice? Is it 1000, 5000 or more? Would NHTSB be an option??

You can add me to the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

Randy: " I get the whole reasoning behind it" Please, do tell. What rational reasoning could there possibly be to have someone lose all that speed on a highway risking death vs ????

I emailed BRP and nicely asked them for the rational behind Limp mode. I'm still waiting for a response and will post if i get one.
    Last edited by spyder3; 02-18-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post

Randy: " I get the whole reasoning behind it" Please, do tell. What rational reasoning could there possibly be to have someone lose all that speed on a highway risking death vs ????

Sorry, maybe I did not write my response the way that could be understood by all. What I was trying to say in understanding the reasoning was...... they must build somthing in the program to protect the Spyder and I understand that part of it, but I 100% agree it should not happen the way it does. I'm onboard for change. Does this clarify it ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Sorry, maybe I did not write my response the way that could be understood by all. What I was trying to say in understanding the reasoning was...... they must build somthing in the program to protect the Spyder and I understand that part of it, but I 100% agree it should not happen the way it does. I'm onboard for change. Does this clarify it ???

gotcha,,,i think.... I'm with the idiot light crowd, or messages: pull the over now, or stop , or the 60 second clock,
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode

Anyone have this happen on a RS ?

Spyder Garage

Not so far,had it happen on my wife RT shortly after we first started,shop said I was riding the break,I don't think I was riding it, I was however using it a lot as I was in traffic. Has not happened since and never on my RS and I know i have riden the brakes some,as i have no feeling in my feet and sometime find myself with my foot againest the brake peddle(have seal floorboards,"peddle" sticks up through floorboard)but even this has never caused a limp home mode or error codes.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smporter420 View Post
    Anyone have this happen on a RS ?
    Yes when I had the 08 gs/rs...was scary also. But only occured one time when a dead short in the wiring harness occured and fuse blown.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 02-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Just an added info... Yesterday, upon leaving the house to attend the Lake Placid Ride, I went into LIMP MODE with CHECK ENGINE, However, I was only doing about 30mph when it occured.
    I guess the fix is to fix the fix before someone gets fixed for the burial box.

PLEASE WAKE UP BRP....