Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have built in a two day window for sightseeing and/or problems. I know where all the dealers are along the way. This is my dream ride not just a destination ride. I'm very open to what other riders might want to see or do.

Spyder Garage

A little more: Since I am not a fan of camping, I usually book rooms ahead of time, to try and avoid surprises while on the trip. The rooms are always booked within my comfort zone--300-400 miles down the road.

Since the rooms are booked and guaranteed, I do not feel I am on a rigid time schedule. We always take time to stop and see the sights, get off the bike and stretch, eat when hungry, etc.

In the earlier days, I was a go from destination A to B in the fastest time possible, or had the destination booked 600 miles away. After a couple trips like that, I found that the laid back approach to traveling was best for ME. I have no disagreements with those who wish to cover a 1000 or more miles a day. More power to them.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A little more: Since I am not a fan of camping, I usually book rooms ahead of time, to try and avoid surprises while on the trip. The rooms are always booked within my comfort zone--300-400 miles down the road.

Since the rooms are booked and guaranteed, I do not feel I am on a rigid time schedule. We always take time to stop and see the sights, get off the bike and stretch, eat when hungry, etc.

In the earlier days, I was a go from destination A to B in the fastest time possible, or had the destination booked 600 miles away. After a couple trips like that, I found that the laid back approach to traveling was best for ME. I have no disagreements with those who wish to cover a 1000 or more miles a day. More power to them.
    I couldn't agree more. I may be a lot of things but an Iron Butt is not one of them. I'm more of a Boney Butt!!! My goal is not to ride far, but to..........

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Last year we rode 800 miles our first day from San Diego CA to Albuquerque NM on our way to Spyderfest.
    Doing it again this year!
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Limit

Think the only limitation would be whether or not you have a throttle assist. I rode 4 and half hours(245miles) to San Antonio and felt great...expect for my throttle hand...it was cramping pretty bad. I averaged about 70-75 mph, fueled when necessary, and took breaks for water from the camelback I had in the frunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

450 a day is a nice ride for me. I can and have gone 800 but I prefer 450 a day.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    450 a day is a nice ride for me. I can and have gone 800 but I prefer 450 a day.
    400 to 500 miles sounds like a very reasonable ride. Time to sightsee, eat, stretch and land somewhere early enough to look around. I would think that the more people riding the shorter the daily distance. I prefer to give a bit of time for side trips or any problems that migh pop up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    400 to 500 miles sounds like a very reasonable ride. Time to sightsee, eat, stretch and land somewhere early enough to look around. I would think that the more people riding the shorter the daily distance. I prefer to give a bit of time for side trips or any problems that migh pop up.
    When we are sightseeing, we usually do more like 250-300 miles a day. Of course speeds are slower on the side roads nad in the mountains, so that shortens the distance you can manage in a day. For freeway work, 400-500 is a good day, and gets you in the motel in time for dinner if you leave early in the AM. I will do a 600-750 mile day if I am trying real hard, but those end up being 14-16 hours on the road, and you are dead meat after much of that abuse...at least at my age and odometer reading. Sounds like you have some wiggle room built into your schedule, so I would think figuring 400-500 a day would be a good way to learn what you like best. You can press on beyond 400 if you still have the urge, and shorten things up if you find the long days are just too strenuous or tiring, you want to visit some attractions, or if the weather beats you up. You're gonna do just fine!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    When we are sightseeing, we usually do more like 250-300 miles a day. Of course speeds are slower on the side roads nad in the mountains, so that shortens the distance you can manage in a day. For freeway work, 400-500 is a good day, and gets you in the motel in time for dinner if you leave early in the AM. I will do a 600-750 mile day if I am trying real hard, but those end up being 14-16 hours on the road, and you are dead meat after much of that abuse...at least at my age and odometer reading. Sounds like you have some wiggle room built into your schedule, so I would think figuring 400-500 a day would be a good way to learn what you like best. You can press on beyond 400 if you still have the urge, and shorten things up if you find the long days are just too strenuous or tiring, you want to visit some attractions, or if the weather beats you up. You're gonna do just fine!

I'm trying to keep my ride to SpyderFest as open and relaxrd as possible as I'm hoping to hook-up with as many other SpiderLovers as possible along the way. It is definitely about the journey, not the destination.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I'm trying to keep my ride to SpyderFest as open and relaxrd as possible as I'm hoping to hook-up with as many other SpiderLovers as possible along the way. It is definitely about the journey, not the destination.
    ...or in this case, maybe the destination, too!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    For me, it depends on the butt. I've set up the Spyder to allow me to rise off the saddle a couple of inches, just enough to let the blood flow again. I can ride in that position as long as I want with either one or two hands on the handlebars. Made all the difference for me. I now ride tank to tank without breaks for the butt.
    One key "mod" I made for long trips.... I got a "coccyx pillow" with straps, it's built for a wheelchair but it solves the butt problem and relieves pressure on your spine at the base, since the stock seat has that stupid hump that pushes against your spine base. This pillow has a cutout where your spine ends, the straps can go right under the seat to hold it in place (got to love velcro tabs), and for extra comfort I add a second pillow under that one so that all the pressure of sitting a long time is on the back of my thighs, not my spine. I have a herniated disk, yet I can easily ride 10 hours with no problem now. With the velcro tabs you can even undo it fast and bring it in with you for a long day sitting on folding chairs, great for my all day sessions of duplicate bridge.

While riding, I can vary position easily, sit up totally straight, or lean over the handlebars, changing position is key to a long ride too.

Spyder Garage

My last long easy ride was from St. Clairsville Ohio, to Orangeburg S.C. 689 miles total in 10 hours flat. No fooling around, fuel,pee stop gas and go, all the way, just got tired at the end or could of made more miles heading back to Florida. All interstate.
    This was done on my Rune, not my Spyder, my first long trip on my spyder will be to Franklin Tenn. for an up coming Cave Degree. It's about 720 miles and I plan on doing it in one day.
    The idea of going to Heaven Peacefully isn't in my RIDERS BOOK,
    Sliding my Spider in sideways, screaming "Man What A Ride" Sounds
    Just fine!

If the police didn't see ME, I didn't do it!