Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOW FAR DO YOU RIDE?

Hi gang,

In planning for my first MAJOR ride, from Oregon to SpyderFest, I'm curious as to how far is a reasonable days ride. Is 450 miles doable on the freeway? I'm trying to figure how many days it will take, what tons to stop in and how many miles per day. Any and all help is appreciated.

Ride in comfort,

John
    eal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

450 miles is a half day ride for me

It all depends on what your body and your mind tells you. I wouldn't set your trip by miles as much as hours on the road. There's still a lot of daylight left at 450 miles if you leave in the morning.

Spyder Garage

It clearly is a personal thing and should be tailored for each person's comfort. To the BRP event I am planning 3-700 mile days to get there. While I could push it to Lamont's 1000 mile day, chances are I would pay for it at night..

450 seems very doable for almost anyone.. Have a good ryde
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

At an average speed of 60 mph, 450 miles is 7.5 hours. Add two hours for fuel and food stops, and you are looking at a 9.5 hour day. That is plenty for most people...too much for some, and too little for the iron butt crowd. I think it is a good target for your first epic journey. You'll know more after this one, and you can adjust to suit your personal style and needs on the next go 'round...or the trip back.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I do between 400-450 at the most. Especially if we sight see along the way or my back starts hurting. To me the journey should be as enjoyable as the destination.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1,200 miles on highways.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

The spyders are so comfortable to ryde, imho you will get a minimum of 600 miles or more on the freeways. You will need to stop for gas every couple of hours, so walk around, stretch, and you're good to go again. A 5 hour energy drink helps for after lunch. On the interstates, you can ride until dark and not worry about gas or motels in most cases, so I wouldn't try to plan what towns to stop in, I'd just ride until I felt like stopping. Main thing is be safe and do what you are comfortable with. See you there.

Spyder Garage

For me, it depends on the butt. I've set up the Spyder to allow me to rise off the saddle a couple of inches, just enough to let the blood flow again. I can ride in that position as long as I want with either one or two hands on the handlebars. Made all the difference for me. I now ride tank to tank without breaks for the butt.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    1,200 miles on highways.
    I went only 1100. I found a shortcut.

arntufun

1,200 miles on highways.

Way to represent the RS crowd Doc. !!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MILES & MILES &MILES

1200 MILES,....DOC YOU ROCK...MIKE.......

Spyder Garage

They all have it wrong..... you cannot do 450 miles on a spyder.

You have to stop for gas, eat and $#!+, every so often!

I just did 600 miles on an RT from SF to Lake Havasu City last month... in about 12 hours with stops. Didn't start until 10AM.
    Comfort level was 10 of 10... it's sure nice to have forward foot rests!!!
    The disappointment was how many times I had to stop for gas... I was only averaging just over 25 miles per gallon.

It's easier to get more miles in, in the summer when it's warmer and lighter longer.
    Last edited by GnA; 02-09-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

When on a trip most people will find that they cover the greatest number of miles the first day or three, but their mileage declines after that. Plan accordingly and you'll do fine. People who can do 1,000 or more miles a day didn't start out at that, they build up to it. The Iron Butt Association has some great guidelines for covering miles safely. Hopefully you'll find it here: http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm
    Dan

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lamont's morning and my morning are 2 different animals.......I start about 8am - 9am and travel until I'm tired....450 mile is an easy day...if I need to make some miles...I leave earlier......

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

HUmmmmmm very interesting..... the best statement was 2 hours rde or 100-120 miles, gas walk about 5 minutes and do your things, Hop back on and go for another 2 hrs or 100-120 miles and repeat.

Now if you have a long bungie cord you can follow Doc and Dave.

Spyder Garage

Post personal limits

+Sit here, turn that. Stop when you're ready. YMMV.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

My longest rydes to date were when I went to Whitehorse, Yukon Terr. and Skagway, AK. We averaged about 300-400 miles per day with stops. I had no issues with being sore or to tired.

In the "good old days" I was not adverse to 600 plus mile days.

I will have to see what I can do this year, continued back and hip issues were forcing me to get off the bike and move around between every 50 to 100 miles towards the end of the season 2011.

IMO: for the "average" person, 400-600 miles should be doable, with the usual gas, and eat stops.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The group of guys I ride with average 450-550 per day. The longest day was 725 but it got very cold and that forced us to stop for the night. My biggest adventure was 3100 miles in 8 days and 18 states....that was great. Hope to beat that when we go to Durango, CO this year from Staunton, VA.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow,

Thanks all for the great info. Makes me feel much more confident. The farthest I've gone in a day is 325 miles, but it was a group ride with stops and a long lunch. I'm sure that my Utopia backrest, Elka Shocks and of course my Seal FloorBoards will give me just the ride I need. I'm gettin' antsy to hit the road!!!

Ride in comfort,

John
    SealFloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage

And there-in lies the problem. If it's 1-3 guys/gals who ride together all the time, lots of miles and smiles. When we take a HOG ride with a bumch of bikes, it's an adventure if it's got a schedule. Talk, talk talk. My God, we're out there to ride a bunch and talk some, but not all day. I'll never have another CB. Call my cell and I'll let Garmin talk to you. Lost my good buddy Gregg Gammack 17 months ago. He would ride 900 and up every day when by himself. We were both retired and Gregg would still think he's 25. I like 600 as an objective and if I do more, fine. If not, who cares, I'm retired, remember? I don't recall signing anything that I'd ride 900 every day I push the starter.
    Do what you want and if the others don't like it, tough stuff. My only limit is that I have a helmet sticker that says it all "I rode my bike to trailer week." That ought to clear that up.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Wow,

Thanks all for the great info. Makes me feel much more confident. The farthest I've gone in a day is 325 miles, but it was a group ride with stops and a long lunch. I'm sure that my Utopia backrest, Elka Shocks and of course my Seal FloorBoards will give me just the ride I need. I'm gettin' antsy to hit the road!!!

Ride in comfort,

John
    SealFloorBoards
    My wife and I rode cross country on the RT S pulling the 622 trailer and averaged 350 to 400 per day. The most we covered in one day was probably 480 or so from rapid city South Dakota to Colorado Springs Col. with a lot of traffic in Denver due to Broncos game traffic along with rush hour traffic. 550 or so would not have been a problem I don't think. We were on Vacation so most days we just took it easy and stopped to see the sights. Going non stop between gas stops on the RT is not a problem due to the comfort and the fact that you'll need gas every couple of hours or less anyway. At first you think you are having to stop for gas too often but actually as others have said, getting off and walking around and relaxing somewhat keeps you refreshed and ready to keep going. For me, I do like to have a good idea of where I will be every day around 5 to 6 p.m. and have an Idea of where the motels are. I don't like letting it get dark without a plan of where I am stopping for the night. Take your time and allow a little extra time for weather conditions.

Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

1,200 miles on highways.
    Damn, I went 1300 in less then 36 hours - thats including sleep.

Also did a 1000 miles in about 24 hours - including sleep.

Both were all highway. I just really depends on the rider. You might get out on the highway and after 450 still think I have plenty left. I didn't PLAN a stop either trip. Just knew where the big towns were, and went for it. When I road 2-wheels we went any where from 500-650 a day. It really comes down to what THE RIDER will feel comfortable with. Plan for a couple long days out, then maybe extend a day on the ride back if needed.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can do very comfortably 550 mile a day and have done so. I didn't get uncomfortable until the wife started beating me on the head. She has a built in sensor that tells her when we reach 500 miles and it goes off until I stop for the day. If she was not with me, I believe I could do 650 to 700 a day. But the main thing is not to over do it.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

The real answer is the bike can do unlimited milage you have to ride your own ride and enjoy it, time, weather, money all will dictate how many miles a person does a day more than anything else. You will have to watch the weather during that time of year coming from the north, the weather in southern Missouri should be nice but then again look into some heated gear before you leave.
    If you can match up with another person riding from your area you will have a better ride and enjoy the trip better but you have to make sure your compatable with each other. Either way enjoy the trip and we will see you there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    Either way enjoy the trip and we will see you there.
    It's not aobut miles... It's about smiles! Do what you can without making the ryde a chore or a timetable that needs to be followed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black