Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I would love to have someone provide me with access information to a great site, in addition to talking to me about the spyder. Thay way i can read more at home. Plus, in this day and age, not everyone carries a pencil and paper with them.
    This is why I carry a stack of those business card sized fold out brochures in my glove box. Though having a qr code on my bike is geeky enough I just might do it!
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Verizon sucks in Vegas. At home the only carrier I get signal with has been tmobile. They've been great for me here.
    I see Verizon is limited in your area but, show me another carrier that has better coverage than this.

Spyder Garage

Lamont is right in that QR codes are basically used on printed media. If you're already on the web using your computer, smartphone or toaster then a QR code is pretty worthless.

We create them and put them on the back of business cards all the time- which is a handy way to get contact information into a smart phone. Instead of having to type the persons info into your phone, you can just scan it and then hit ADD to contacts. To do this the QR code has to be set up in the right format, preferable in VCard format.

Here's an example of my Vcard QR code:

DanPPGQR.jpg
    The above code contains my name, address, phone, fax, cell, email and website. Some QR codes will simply link to a website that has your info, which makes for a more simple QR code - but the person then must have web access for it to work. I prefer a code that actually contains the data. All it takes is a scan and ADD to put someone into your contacts. Pretty slick.

I guess it could be handy on a website for getting that kind of information into your smart phone too.

There are various scanner apps available for smartphones, and not all work the same. Some handle the Vcard format well, others do not.

The best ones I've found so far:

Optiscan
    i-nigma

------------------------------

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Hah!

I guess I should have been more clear. I was looking at the QR via Tapatalk while on the iPhone, hence snapping a read on it was impossible (screen on front, camera on back) , akin to kissing your own elbow...???

Ah fiddlesticks, it isn't nearly as funny now as when it was a thought in my head!
    Two ways to do this in your above situation:

1. Tap on the QR code and you should get the option to SAVE up in the lefthand of your screen-- just like a photo --- should save it to your camera roll. You could then tell whatever QR scanner app you use to use that photo instead of taking a one. Optiscan works like this.

2. You can always do a screen capture on your iphone -- just press and hold your power button and tap your home button and it will snap a photo of your screen and save it....

Here's a snap of my homescreen:

photo23.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I see Verizon is limited in your area but, show me another carrier that has better coverage than this.

Coverage maps don't make a lick of difference if I cannt receive calls (or even texts) in my living room. I'm lucky to get half a bar at home with AT&T, sprint, and Verizon. But I have full edge signal with tmobile.

Spyder Garage

I too only have a standard cell phone (company). Company only supplies smart phones to managers and supervisors. Company uses Sprint, coverage s#&ks. Around here nothing works as good as U.S. Cellular. I don't have a personal cell phone, don't need one. Wife has a new Samsung Mesmerize, she loves it.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going back to bed... Absolutely NONE of what I've been reading has made a lick of sense to me...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

ALERT !!!!

This was on our local news last night and I wanted to make sure you were all aware to be careful with these codes. Video below. http://www.fox23news.com/mediacenter...ideoid=3258629

Spyder Garage

The only good a code is on the computer is that if it is a link to an app for your phone. That way, it takes you right to the app, instead of wasting 5 seconds by going into the market and then searching for it. You will never get those 5 seconds back!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ALERT !!!!

This was on our local news last night and I wanted to make sure you were all aware to be careful with these codes. Video below. http://www.fox23news.com/mediacenter...ideoid=3258629
    This is NOT going to help with my fears of things that I don't understand!

But it makes me happier that my phone isn't all that smart...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is NOT going to help with my fears of things that I don't understand!

But it makes me happier that my phone isn't all that smart...

I'm not up on all of this either. From what I understand is, it's not the code itself it is the link that you could be directed to.

Spyder Garage

ALERT !!!!

That's good to know. Another reason I like that Apple controls the apps that go into the store.

I won't be scanning any codes after seeing this.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ALERT !!!!

Interesting to see Aston's Kaspersky Lab (Internet Security and Antivirus Software Company) approaching this subject. The company’s headquarters is located in Moscow, Russia and the start-up was St. Petersburg, Russia in 1997.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

The QR code 'threat' is nothing to be concerned about. What a joke of a 'report'. You would have to do much more than just 'scan' the code---- you would have to enable more actions on whatever website it takes you to.

In particular, this is a non issue for the iPhone since you can only install apps from their store. Droid folks would obviously be more open to going to a website and downloading a bad app that could cause harm.

As with going to ANY website- no matter how you get there- use common sense. If it starts asking you for log in info, etc. then leave the page.

Now, if you were scanning from a windows computer or smartphone- you may be at more risk as then you're running an actual computer OS that can be hacked easier. But I can't imaging scanning a QR code on a computer. Not sure about the windows phones.

I hate it when 'news' media reports on things like this and gets people worked up into a frenzy over nothing.

No need to fear QR codes folks. Contrary to the Fox report-- they are not the work of the devil---- ;-)
    Last edited by Firefly; 02-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What a joke of a 'report'.
    They just prepare the consumer for the "New and Improved QR Code Antivirus" (more licenses sold).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

The QR code 'threat' is nothing to be concerned about. What a joke of a 'report'. You would have to do much more than just 'scan' the code---- you would have to enable more actions on whatever website it takes you to.

In particular, this is a non issue for the iPhone since you can only install apps from their store. Droid folks would obviously be more open to going to a website and downloading a bad app that could cause harm.

As with going to ANY website- no matter how you get there- use common sense. If it starts asking you for log in info, etc. then leave the page.

Now, if you were scanning from a windows computer or smartphone- you may be at more risk as then you're running an actual computer OS that can be hacked easier. But I can't imaging scanning a QR code on a computer. Not sure about the windows phones.

I hate it when 'news' media reports on things like this and gets people worked up into a frenzy over nothing.

No need to fear QR codes folks. Contrary to the Fox report-- they are not the work of the devil---- ;-)
    I didn't get that the code was a threat but the links to where it might take you. You are correct that just like an email you have to watch what you click on and download. I don't have a problem with scanning the code and I can see where it could be useful but I find that I use my camera on the phone to take a pic to remember info I want to look up later online.

Spyder Garage

The QR code 'threat' is nothing to be concerned about. What a joke of a 'report'. You would have to do much more than just 'scan' the code---- you would have to enable more actions on whatever website it takes you to. ...
    I don't see the report as a joke. This is precisely what the report said about the threat: It's not the act of scanning the code that's dangerous. But clicking on a link it gives you might send you to an undesirable site.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I don't see the report as a joke. This is precisely what the report said about the threat: It's not the act of scanning the code that's dangerous. But clicking on a link it gives you might send you to an undesirable site.
    Point is, it doesn't change anything. You still have to practice safe browsing whether you follow a link on a website or get there by QR code. And phones (which would make up 99% of the devices scanning at codes), by default, aren't going to be open to most attacks. IOS devices are very walled off. Apps can only be installed from the app store, browsers don't allow extensions, etc. android devices again, only allow installed apps from the app store, UNLESS the user specifically goes into the settings to turn on installation from other sources. If you turn this on and aren't tech savvy enough to handle the potential consequences, you deserve what you get.

arntufun

Forget these QR codes,

I just want to be sure when I log into Spyderlovers, someone is not trying to hack my computer and steal my famous chicken soup receipe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    They just prepare the consumer for the "New and Improved QR Code Antivirus" (more licenses sold).
    And THAT is exactly what is going on. Places like Kaspary make big money off of the fears of such things. Makes one wonder just who releases viruses in the first place..... ;-).

Wait and you'll see mobile anti-virus software... at least for the Androids...... create a fear and then an app to calm that fear.......

I guess my main beef was the way it was implied (by the news and out here.. ;-) ) that the 'codes' were some big concern.
    I suppose if you're scanning one off a dumpster in an alley (lol)... well.... duh... you wouldn't usually go to a website or call a number from a place that seemed less than reputable either.

But if you come across a brochure, magazine or business card from a reputable place with a QR code on it--- you really don't need to be afraid.

I think Phishing is probably the main concern. I get emails every day from 'banks' wanting me to 'update my info', etc..... yeah... riiiiight.. most of the time they're not even places I bank with.

Although I am still waiting for that Nubian Prince to deposit $100 Million US dollars into my bank account..... ;-)

Spyder Garage

HAlf considering putting a qr code on my Spyder now to link here and the BRP site.