Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How many came off a Goldwing, BMW or Harley dresser

I am just curious how many RT owners came off a Goldwing, BMW touring, or HD touring. I went form HD's to BMW then kept a GL1800 for 7 years, while having other brands in the stable, now my Roadster is the only Ryde I have. I gave up two wheels, honestly because I just pushed the limits too much...

My GL1800 and HD friends just can't believe that I am on a Roadster... They just don't get it... It definitely isn't a motorcycle, but hey I am still in the wind and enjoy the safety, comfort and my wife is really happy to get me off 2 wheeled motorcycles.

If you came from these 2 wheeled touring brands then why did you buy 3 wheels? I hear of bad backs, knees, health reasons, disabilities, age, so what's your reason.
    'Bikeless'

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was on two wheels for over 44 yrs. I've ridden imports and domestics.
    Sears Puch, Yamaha, Suzuki, Harley, Kawasaki... and now Can Am. getting
    married to a bike novice two years ago was, part of the reason for changes.
    getting onto the RT was a chain of events result; but a welcomed one.

we both enjoy the ride more. my wife got her license last year (on the RT...),
    and I simply enjoy the comfort it provides.

and don't get me wrong... when I'm by myself.... I still WACK THE THROTTLE !!!!
    my comfort level on this bike was 132 mph; and last Friday I had the NEED FOR
    SPEED. and got busted for it today...

but all in all... I'm glad, we're glad; that I made the switch. as long as we're riding...

Spyder Garage

Default H D BAGGER

I sold my bagger to buy my g s mainly because it's the coolest thing i've ever seen. if only i could stretch it about a foot
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I came off a Full Dressed VTX1800,
    The reason was simple less weather related down time on 3 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I had a wrestling match with a horse....he won, I ended up with a broke hip. At the time was on a 1994 GL1500SE......TOP HEAVY.....sold it and bought a 2008 Victory Vision tour premium.....I loved it, low seat height was easy on the hip but mama hated it, she just couldn't get comfortable.
    So we bought a new 2010 Goldwing in march of last year hoping that it would be better on my hip than the old GL1500 was. It wasn't. So we looked at a Champion trike kit on the new wing but I had been eyeing the Spyder's for a couple of years so before dropping another 15K in the Goldwing, I wanted to test ride a Spyder.
    We did and I was sold. Got rid of the wing and bought our 2011 Viper red RTS on August 20th of last year.

How much do we like riding it??? We have put 11600 miles on it in less than 6 months......we like it alot.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Always wanted to ride, but my dad was killed on a Honda when I was 3. I wanted something bigger and safer to set my mind, my wife's, and my mothers mind more at ease. I liked the unique look of the Spyder. Would have bought a GS when they came out but didn't have the money, nor the time to ride. 3 years, lots of test rides and just hanging out at my dealer later I find I now have both the time and money.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Had 5 Goldwings

I was a Goldwing guy myself.Have owned 5 of them. Great bikes for two wheels, Didn't want a conversion. So here I am with a 2012 RTS
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SWITCHER

CHAZMAN, I DID IT ALSO FOR ALL THE REASONS YOU NAMED PLUS I AM NO LONGER CONCERNED ABOUT DUMPING IT IN THE RAIN.........MIKE

Spyder Garage

Default by by wing hellow spyder

ALWAYS WANTED A WING, LASTED 1 YEAR, BOTH THE MISSES I CAN DRIVE 2011RT-S RUBY RED

Spyder Garage

I came off a BMW RT (sport tourer). I still have it, but seldom ride it these days. It probably will be for sale come Spring. I got the Spyder mainly for two reasons: 1. I always wanted a BMW LT, but they were just too huge for me, and a bear two-up as I age and deteriorate. 2. I swiped my wife's Spyder RS all the time, and was already hooked by the time the RT came out. Best of both worlds, IMO. I stay with the Spyder for comfort, visibility, versatility, and stability. There is no better open-air (straddled) vehicle for riding two-up, riding in bad weather, or towing a trailer. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    I am just curious how many RT owners came off a Goldwing, BMW touring, or HD touring. I went form HD's to BMW then kept a GL1800 for 7 years, while having other brands in the stable, now my Roadster is the only Ryde I have. I gave up two wheels, honestly because I just pushed the limits too much...

My GL1800 and HD friends just can't believe that I am on a Roadster... They just don't get it... It definitely isn't a motorcycle, but hey I am still in the wind and enjoy the safety, comfort and my wife is really happy to get me off 2 wheeled motorcycles.

If you came from these 2 wheeled touring brands then why did you buy 3 wheels? I hear of bad backs, knees, health reasons, disabilities, age, so what's your reason.
    Have you got secret access to my medical records, or what? I couldn't have put it any better than you did in your last sentence. ALL of the above! I've had 2 1100 GW and one 1800 and still have a Road Glide that I was just thinking about taking on one last ride this weekend. Not now, you reminded me exactly why I have the Spyder. Going to sell the RG, but keeping an 86 Helix 250 scooter and a 83 Honda Magna for now.
    Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was rear ended on my '95 GW 1500 in 2001, bought a '02 1800 and rode it until '05 and triked it due to knee problems. Love it. Still have it. Bought BR1 in March 2011. Love it too. Different rides, but both are great.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Spyder for the stability, visibility, safety and, my girlfriend won't ride on two wheels. I still have my Harley and it rewards me for riding it by leaving a puddle of oil under the air cleaner after every ride. [I love it.] It's a Sportster what can you expect. It's the nature of the beast. Stay warm, Ride Safe and Long.

Spyder Garage

I owned 2 Goldwings, the 1st, an 04, was a total loss when a young lady turned left in front of me while she was on a phone and yelling at her children, the 2nd was an 07 with bells and whistles. Well last year my military disabilities caught up with me and I started to sway on the wing while at stop signs and red lights. The decision was easy after some research, so now I have a 2011 Viper Red RT S SE-5 and I enjoy it very much.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sold a beautiful Electra 2000 with 103CI engine, Brembos, no chrome... Just cause I was not able to hold her two up (bad right arm) .... Bought a 2011 RT... Miss the HD every day!

Spyder Garage

I did not come off of one of the brands you mentioned--but I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000cc LT. At the time, it was the biggest production V-twin made. (2007) Weighing in at 950 #, it was an absolute bear for me and my small stature to roll backwards, or even get up off the kickstand. The lean angle was to much. This was the ONLY bike I did not like because I was always afraid that I would drop it. I never did--but I had a couple close calls. That bike was VERY FAST. I only put 4000 miles on the 2000cc and sold it to one of the members in my cycle club. Its still going strong and he likes it a lot.

I have back isisues, and they have got worse over the last year or so. The 2008 GS seemed like the smart way to go, with reverse gear and three wheels. I have owned 3 different Spyders since their inception.

In the late summer of 2010, I also purchased a Kawi Vulcan 900 LT. This Vulcan is 200# lighter than the 2000cc, and I can sit comfortably on it and touch both feet on the ground. I usually use this as my commute bike into Anchorage. 40 miles round trip.

This summer I may be riding the Vulcan more, because akspyderlady is learning how to drive the RTS. I was going to buy a second Spyder--but the dealer did not want to take a trade in of my 2009 Vulcan on a new 2009 SE5. I will keep looking--but will probably keep the RTS and the Vulcan since they are both paid for.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-07-2012 at 01:22 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Had a 'Wing and loved it! Family considerations forced its sale years ago and I was left with riding smaller bikes that kept me out in the wind, but just weren't the same...
    Then I saw this totally different "Thing" and both the MIssus and I were hooked imediately!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Like Scotty, I had a BMW RT until my second surgery for a hernia. Then something easier to hold up seemed like a good idea.

I still have a BMW GS for dirt roads, but there's nothing like a Spyder for 2-up riding pulling a trailer!
    Dan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default From a GL 1800 trike to a 2011 RT Limited

My wife just got her Can Am after 11 years and 100,000+ miles on Gold Wing trikes. She has had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders and could not put the amount of daily miles on that she wants. The power steering is amazing as is the handling. I still ride a 1800 Wing but due to the FUN factor of the Can am I am not sure how long before I get mine

Spyder Garage

Default Again--why I got a Spyder

In June I traded my much loved 07 Wing for an RT. The decision was gradual over a two year period of wondering if I could pick up the Wing and also what a small amount of sand in the road could do to me. After 35 motorcycles I have made the switch to something that has caused total obsession. Apart from the fact that I am mobbed everywhere I go, that people can't keep their hands off of my Spyder, that questions about it range from the bizarre to the ridiculous, that after 46 years of biking on just about anything with two wheels and having covered this continent from Mexico to Alaska, I can honestly say "Thank you Lord" for this contraption. I know that there are many machines out there worthy of accolades of durability, beauty, sound etc, but my Spyder with my questionable knees and desire to drive the safest motorcycle ever built were reason enough to trade. I watched a trike go over while manuvering at about 15 MPH and decided against triking my Wing. I have friends that have turned their attention away from biking due to their age or fear of an accident-pitiful. I don't want to do that. In conclusion, this ain't a car minus a tire or a motorcycle plus a tire. It is a whole new way of traveling.

I always seem to want to carry stuff so an RT was more suited for me.
    Also. This is the best forum I have ever seen. My day starts with a quick peek to see whats up and I never got that involved with any forums with any of my other bikes.
    We all have an end to journey toward
    however
    what will matter most
    in the end
    was the journey

tompen

Had 5 HD Electra Glide / Ultra Classics since 2003. 2008 was the last one I was comfortable on. 2005 was the last one that felt good 2 up. New tank and frame made them too tall and top heavy for me. So, 2011 I went to buy a HD Trike. Didn't really like it, but wanted my wife to ride with me again. Harley Dealer had me sit on a Softail. Whole different deal. Bought a new Softail Classic and a 2008 Spyder on the same day. Spent less than trading my Ultra for a Tri-Glide.
    Put 2X the miles on the Spyder in the first year.
    I am very happy with my decision.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Being disabled from about 22months old with Poilo which left me with use of my Right leg only

Had been riding motorycles since 1976 inc Honda CB125J, CB400A - Automatic, GL500 Silverwing then moved on to BMW due to Shaft Drive
    water cooling etc Had 3 BMW's K100RT - K75RT and finally a BMW K100LT
    All converted so I could change gear using a Rod connected to the Gear Leaver (LHS)- I woud use my left hand to operate the clutch leaver and use my right hand to push/pull the leaver to change gear - Otherwise all other controls remained as standard

I have moved from the BMW K100LT - 1991 MODEL engine size 998cc - Owned since 1997 in Dec 2010 to a Spyder RT-S SE5 Auto
    Now in my mid 50's the BMW was getting to heavy to hold up and I did not tend to use it much in the winter months - being only able to put just my right leg down it was becoming a confidence issue - I accident could be 1 accident to many

In all the years the only accident I had - was a slow speed spill when my right leg sliipped on diesiel at a M/way junction
    About 5 yrs ago I fitted a Klicktronic push button Electronic Gear change systerm which was easy and gave me greater control

Having decided to look around I was thinking of getting the K100LT converted to a Trike or buy a motorcycle - Goldwing/Harley Davidson already converted into a Trike
    I contacted several Trike builders and was quoted from £7,000 up to £14,000 for the conversion this did include the fitting of a reverse gear

The Spyder is perfect for me - No balance issues - Because I went for the SE5 Auto model no modifications were needed
    The wife is happy to go on the back knowing I have no issues in trying to hold up the Bike on a steep hill with only my Right leg and fearing
    I would drop it causing us both injuries

I use to miss 2 wheels until it was pouring with rain and I had to stop on a slippery road surface - There is no way I would consider going back
    to 2 wheels now

I hope to get many more enjoyable years riding my Spyder and know I made the right decision in 2010

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 05-04-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Got the RS-E5 cause it wouldn't fall over at the light!!! Then got the RT in2010 cause it was SOOOO much more comfortable!!! AND it doesn't fall over at the stop light and an added bonus it has a reverse AND i don't have to hop around on the ground to get on it. Works for me!!! I'm too short to go the big bikes can't pick em up either!!!

Spyder Garage

We have a Gold Wing that my husband rides, and I've ridden as passenger for 22 years. I've had my own Kawasaki and Honda Pacific Coast, as well as a Gold Wing Trike. But I bought myself a 2011 RTS-SE for my 65th birthday last summer. Now we are trying to sell our house to buy a smaller house with a bigger garage.

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

EDIESHIP999....YOU ROCK.............MIKE....