Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default CHANGE BECAUSE

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    I am just curious how many RT owners came off a Goldwing, BMW touring, or HD touring. I went form HD's to BMW then kept a GL1800 for 7 years, while having other brands in the stable, now my Roadster is the only Ryde I have. I gave up two wheels, honestly because I just pushed the limits too much...

My GL1800 and HD friends just can't believe that I am on a Roadster... They just don't get it... It definitely isn't a motorcycle, but hey I am still in the wind and enjoy the safety, comfort and my wife is really happy to get me off 2 wheeled motorcycles.

If you came from these 2 wheeled touring brands then why did you buy 3 wheels? I hear of bad backs, knees, health reasons, disabilities, age, so what's your reason.

Because of back, sciatic , and feet problems-I love being out on the 2014 rt

ron

Spyder Garage

As I read the comments here, there is one thing that I didn't mention that was the most important reason for me going to the Roadster. We were with another couple and stopped at a State Park for lunch. The parking lot went down hill at about a 45 degree, the parking spaces angled to the right, I was behind my nephew and his wife and followed them down to park beside their bike. There was no room so I did a 360 and proceeded back up the hill, now parking spaces to my left but it was a full steering lock in order to get into one. Once I made the transition fine the parking stop was made out of wood and there was a 20 ft. drop off in the front of the stop. With my attention focused on what was in front of me I had the front wheel very slightly turned and tapped the front brake.
    Of course we were body slammed to the ground and the bike was not even moving...My wife had bruised ribs for about 3 months and I cut a nasty gash in my shin on top of the bone.

This was the only time in 40 years that I dropped a 2 wheeled street bike. I had told people hundreds of times to never touch the front brake with the ft wheel turned at low speed. It was only 3 weeks earlier that I told someone that I had never tipped over a bike and both my nephews that ride Goldwings laughed and said they had dropped theirs a few times.

I really felt bad for my wife's pain, knowing that one day probably sooner than later that for me to be totally comfortable with here two up, that I would need a solution for the two wheels. Not to mention deteriorated disc in my lower back, neck pain from motocross and all the stupid dirt riding we did.
    Chazzman.. you just covered my reason. My wife and I worked our way through Honda V-twins, Harleys, Suzuki fours, Yamaha twins and finally Gold Wings. I had an '82 Aspencade that I loved but it went when I got a '99 Valkyrie (my favorite ride).

I was entering a lane into the stables where we keep our horses and a truck and horse trailer were coming out. I waited on the pavement while they entered traffic and pulled forward into the gravel. I felt the front slip a bit in the gravel and even though I knew better, grabbed the front brake. Down I went with the Valk on top of me. My wife helped me pick the pieces of gravel out of my arm and leg and suggested that I may want to try three wheels. She was then riding a triked Suzuki 650.

I traded the '99 Valkyrie Interstate even for a 2004 Gold Wing with a Motor Trike kit installed.

The following year the RT came out and my wife immediately traded her Suzuki in on a new RT. After I drove hers a few times, the Gold Wing was history and I got my first RT.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Cool

Traded in my '08 H-D Harley Softail. Loved that bike; but after 5 back fusions I just couldn't manage to make it a comfortable ride. Hubby bought a 2013 RT back in August, we had some good rides with me trying to "keep up with him" this past fall. I purposely didn't ride it as I had a sneaky suspicion I'd like it. We had some folks and Harvey Spyderpops over for a "Laser Alignment Party" back in January. What a great group of folks; they all encouraged me to take the hubby's out for a spin, see how my back tolerates it. OMG, was totally hooked. Rode 30 miles on a cold and wind day; didn't have to struggle. I traded in my H-D the next day. I did snivel a bit when they took her to the back, but have had a blast on my new 2013 RT; had over 900 miles on it in less than a month!

Spyder Garage

Default my last two wheeler

was a FLHTPI. sweet ride. still miss it once in a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default the ones i let go

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default first class toys

Rode many bikes till 1982. Then quit for 24 years but always miised it while doing other toys boats, atvs etc. Was on a plane one day in 87 and got bumped up to firts class. The flight attendant brought me a magazine called "First Class Toys". There was a picture of a prototype and an article about BRP developing this thing called a Spyder. The picture was a yellow GS and I thought WOW, so I followed the development. Then in April of 2008 BRP brought a truck load of them to FT Worth to let people test drive since there was no dealers yet. I drove 300 miles to get to that location on my birthday. A ten mile test ride and I got the check book out. It was a Paradigm break of huge purportion. I loved that about it. Traded Traded and Traded and now on my 4th spyder a 2014 RTS and my wife and I love riding two up. Cant wait for spring! You would have to pry my cold dead hands off of it to get it from me. Of course unless I trade again.

Spyder Garage

I was a passenger on 2-wheels for 16 years, I rode Yamaha Royal Star (Year?, Colors were: Orange/Blue "Gulf "gas station ) ,Suzuki, 1992 Kamaski Nomade Full Dresser (Color were burgundy/Cream) , Honda Trike(year? Color was Jet Black) 2012 HD Switchback( Color was : SunGlow Red) Removable saddlebags/windshield 2-bike in 1, + I liked the lines. I got my permit with the HD Switchback, and Traded the HD Switchback for a CAN-AM 2012 RTS-SE5. The reason for trading in the HD Switchback, I didn't have to do the Clutch/brake and Shifting thing. I bought my 2012 RTS-SE5 for the Stability, easier to handle, and Shift, comfortable, easier to use, I don't have to deal with the clutch/brake and shifting thing. When I am out riding my Spyder, people ask me questions like : Have you been on the Interstate with it, How much does it $$$$$, And What do you get for Gas Mileage?. I am glad that I bought my Spyder, and enjoy riding it. Deanna777
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-04-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Getting old, wanted one more new bike, figured I ought to go for 3 wheels. Didn't like standard trikes. Had a Wing, Beemer LT, 2 Yamaha Venture Royales. Liked them all. Like my '12 RTL. Now I want a '14.

Put something exciting between your legs--ride a Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i've always been the sport version of bmw since 1976.. never cared for the touring models.. .. and have been on roads no one would take a touring model.. unless they were as crazy as I was when i was younger.. bought the spyder RS.. don't care for the RT.. but that's just me... I will say I won't try to cross the Continental Divide on a dirt road (hwy 60) on the spyder.. like i tried on my 1987 bmw RS here...... http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nm/mogollon.html

Spyder Garage

I am just curious how many RT owners came off a Goldwing, BMW touring, or HD touring. I went form HD's to BMW then kept a GL1800 for 7 years, while having other brands in the stable, now my Roadster is the only Ryde I have. I gave up two wheels, honestly because I just pushed the limits too much...

My GL1800 and HD friends just can't believe that I am on a Roadster... They just don't get it... It definitely isn't a motorcycle, but hey I am still in the wind and enjoy the safety, comfort and my wife is really happy to get me off 2 wheeled motorcycles.

If you came from these 2 wheeled touring brands then why did you buy 3 wheels? I hear of bad backs, knees, health reasons, disabilities, age, so what's your reason.
    BMW K1200RS, and I do miss her at times. Hip started giving me problems so I decided to try something totally different.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sold my K1200RS to my nephew

who after crashing it and saying it was too fast, sold it before I could buy it back.. I put a performance chip in it (as if it really needed it) one day on a straight away,, doing around 80 I ducked behind the faring , opened the throttle till it was locked.. and counted to 10.. the machine took off .. at 176 , and still pulling, backed off... every time i got on it . I wanted to wick it out.. bought a royal enfield.. that slowed me down a tad.. and now the spyder rs.. . just wish I was younger and I would buy the newest BMW sport bike.... they are so sick... scheesh 20year old mind and a 66 year oLdE bOdY

Spyder Garage

Gold Wing Trike. Loved it. Very tough to steer. On the road excellent choice for touring. In the twisties it's a real workout for your shoulders. So, have moved on to the Spyder. Should be in my garage Friday. Tom

Spyder Garage

I have had some cool rides over the past few years. I had a Kawasaki MeanStreak, 2003 Suzuki TL1000R 1000cc v-twin sport bike (I got ran off the road the first day I rode it by a women 3/4 the way in my lane on a curve), A custom 2001 Yamaha RoadStar w/ air ride, 2003 Yamaha Warrior, 2003 BMW K1200GT, Custom built chopper w/ Jessie James frame and tins then I traded the chopper for a 1998 Ford Ranger w/ 1124 h.p. 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel. I sold the truck to a guy in Texas and bought my 2013 Spyder RS. I bought the Spyder as a long term bike because I have a bad knee and got tired of hurting after riding my motorcycles. The guy that I sold the chopper to repainted it and EasyRider Magazine flew in a model to do a photo shoot for the magazine (not sure when it will be published).
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by hchays; 03-09-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default familiar

that yoshi can looks VERY familiar.
    those look like some very nice rides.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    that yoshi can looks VERY familiar.
    those look like some very nice rides.
    It should look familiar... See how high the rear of it was designed to be lifted. I could only post 5 pictures so I picked the 5 better rides for the pictures. I traded the TL1000R for the Roadstar with airride, got it from a guy in New Jersey. Then traded the Roadstar to a guy in Columbus for the Yamaha Warrior. Sold it, bought the BMW (really liked that bike). Traded it for the chopper. Traded it to a guy in Dayton, OH for the Ford Ranger. Sold the Ranger to a guy in Texas and bought my Spyder. Best perchase ever!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Previous Ride?

I owned two Harley Davidsons prior to buying my 2013 Spyder RT-S. First HD was a 2004 883. The 883 was a blast to ride; light, agile, but, no room for the wife. Traded the 883 in for an 2003 HD Ultra Classic with full set of touring bags etc. After four years got REALLY tired of: no ABS, 100% air cooled, top heavy. I am a 5'11" guy that is really strong and it was an absolute handful if the bike started tipping over. This happed several times when stopping at a stop sign or a light and put my foot down in loose sand. Oh...don't even think about pushing it hard into a corner. The ~ 920 lbs weight pushes you around instead of you pushing the bike around in a corner. Had one or two oh sh***** moments when I thought the top-heavy Ultra classic was going to high side on me. In the summer time I got really tired of baking my legs at every stop light. I could not understand what was HD's fascination with air cooling in this day and age . If you are HD lover, I think you MIGHT get a choice one other 2014 HD model now, other than a V-Rod, that has liquid cooling for the head; that's it.

So...I fired HD and I bought my '13 RT-S and have zero regrets. My Spyder more than fixed all of my grips with the HDs and then some. Can AM Spyders absolutely rock!

- Mike
    Last edited by Rd_Runner; 03-09-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    2019 F3 Unlimited , Oxford Blue Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

Default GOLDWING AND SPYDER

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I was rear ended on my '95 GW 1500 in 2001, bought a '02 1800 and rode it until '05 and triked it due to knee problems. Love it. Still have it. Bought BR1 in March 2011. Love it too. Different rides, but both are great.
    if you had to ride just one.......which one would you choose?

thank you

Ron

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had a broken sequence of bikes. Started out at age 14 on a 1955 Cushman Eagle. That could be one ornery machine, especially on gravel, with its 8 inch tires, foot clutch, hand shifter, and foot and hand brakes. Got rid of it when I went to college and didn't get back on a bike until 1985 when I bought a '76(?) Honda 350 to solve my parking problem at work. Gave it to my son and bought a Kawasaki 440 in '87. Took that to England for a year, brought it back home and sold it or gave it my son, I don't remember, in 1990. Then bought my first Goldwing, an '81 1100. Took it to Louisiana in '91 and sold it 3 years later. I was riding it about 4000 miles a year and insurance was costing me 10 cents a mile. It also did not work out for carpooling . I told friends and family back in Idaho that I could understand and accept the idea of sweating while working or exercising in the summer in Louisiana, but sweating while I was riding the motorcycle! That was too much. I scanned the classifieds for the next 12 years looking for a great deal on a 'wing that I couldn't resist.

Finally, I retired in 2006 so I bought a new 2005 GW1800 ABS as a retirement present to myself. If the guy doesn't renege or die before next Saturday, Mar 15, it is now sold! Need the money to pay off the credit card I used to buy my 2013 RT. Decided last fall I better move to three wheels before something happened that would make me wish I had done it months sooner!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Bob....I love my 2014 RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Had a 'Wing and loved it! Family considerations forced its sale years ago and I was left with riding smaller bikes that kept me out in the wind, but just weren't the same...
    Then I saw this totally different "Thing" and both the MIssus and I were hooked imediately!
    I mean I really LOVE IT I RIDE IT EVERY DAY! But I have this curiosity itch in a part of my brain that I can't scratch. If you had a 2014 RT and a 2014 goldwing trike, which would you ride?

RON

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am currently trying to sell my 2004 Goldwing. One of 5 Wings with a total of almost 500k miles. I'm not the tallest person in the world and when I come to a stop my left toe hits the ground to keep from falling over. For the last couple of years my toe has been hurting when walking after a ride, also my clutch hand is not doing too good either. At my age the weight and height finally convinced me to change. Just didn't want the standard conversion. So . . .

These Spyders look like too much fun and I had to give one a try. Never thought I'd have so much fun and care free rides. No worries when stopping especially on the side of roads. I like the more stable three wheeler and that these are designed complete and not converted.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face Former Wing Rider

Had HD.WINGS VALKERYES,BMW"s the whole 9 yards over the last 55 years .
    Health forced me onto a RTL.

Spyder Garage

Have rode motorcycles for over 60 years, too numerous to mention but last three was a BMW and two Harley Ultras. Have rode most of Canada, Alaska, Most U,S. States, all of Central and South America. Found a couple years ago the Harley was getting too heavy with the wife on the back 99% of time so bought our 2012 RT Limited and just love it. Had heart surgery 5 days ago but that will not stop me from getting back on the spyder as soon as weather permits. That is another good reason to ride a spyder. Am 76 this summer.

Spyder Garage

I was in good health until 2009 when I was hit by a stroke. Counted myself lucky that its effects were mild. What remains is a balance problem which varies in intensity, sometimes needing a walking stick, sometimes not.

I can no longer ride two-wheelers. My wonderful BMW R1150RT was laid aside for almost two years, in the hope that my sense of balance would return to normal but it never has. I used to uncover the BeeEmm in the garage, sit on it and think about riding. I could imagine leaning it into a corner but doubts persisted about bringing it upright again; not with the precision that safe riding demands. So I gave up the dream and sold it. The new owner inherited many of the extras I had gathered over 40 years of touring. It was a tough time for my wife and me, losing our bike felt like a bereavement.

We've had some great adventures. Together with 20 other bikers, members of the UK BMW Club, we shipped our bike by sea to New York then overland to Los Angeles. We flew out to LA and began a 3-week tour of the Western States, taking in the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and many other natural marvels! Note: Our arrival in the US was 8th September 2001. Together with a couple we met and befriended on that trip we made up a foursome in 03, hired a pair of BMW RT's in New Zealand and enjoyed a 2-week self-guided tour of South Island. Sheer magic.

In 2010 my son phoned to tell me he had seen a motoring item in his daily paper about the introduction of a new three-wheeled tourer. It turned out to be the Spyder RT. We found a dealer, had 2 test rides, placed an order and took delivery of an SE5 on 1st March 2011. It enables us to ride and tour in the style we prefer.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi,I had to change from my Harley because my balance was getting bad 77 years old been riding since I was 15.I put a voyager kit on the Harley which was nice rode it for a few years. some way the right side of the kit came off I was lucky I was going slow,I just got off the thruway at 65 mph,that week I went to the Americade and bought a Honda 1500 trike.I had that for 5 years and the wife didn't like it to tippy.when the syders came out I thought they were ugly until I rode one and loved it.I got a 2011 RT and last year I traded it in for a 2013 RT Limited.My life is good again I love it and my wife loves it,she like to lean.

Spyder Garage

I rode a 2008 Goldwing and it was a great motorcycle. Most of my friends have Goldwing trikes. I compared the Goldwing trikes and preferred the ride and handling of the Can Am. On top of that it was cheaper to purchase a new Can Am Spyder RT/S SE5 rather than convert my Goldwing to a trike. Of course now that the deal is done, I have lost a lot of residual value compared to the value of what my Goldwing with a trike conversion would be worth to the current value of my 2013 Spyder RT/S. Of course a lot of that is due to the timing of my purchase but I think that the Goldwing will hold residual value better than a Can Am does. Bottom line, that only matters when I get rid of my Spyder and I plan on riding it for a long time.