Thread: exhaust leak?

Spyder Garage

Default exhaust leak?

Need advise on a strange sound from the muffler. Sounds like there is an extra pop once in a while the hotter the bike, the more frequent the pops, none when cold. Recently replaced the plugs and wires, the pop was there before the plugs, idles fine(RPM stable), performs fine, engine sounds fine, just at the exit from the muffler I hear and feel that pop and only when I am sitting at the red light or at hot idle. Y gaskets replased under warranty at 5200 miles with BRP gaskets, Now 10500 miles 2008 GS SE5. Any Ideas? Time for Honda Gaskets, new muffler?
    Thank you for your time

Spyder Garage

If the Y-gaskets were replaced under warranty, they were stock gaskets. They are probably shot again. Replace them with Honda gaskets and they'll last much longer. There are other possible causes, but this is the first thing I would look for.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the Y-gaskets were replaced under warranty, they were stock gaskets. They are probably shot again. Replace them with Honda gaskets and they'll last much longer. There are other possible causes, but this is the first thing I would look for
    Stock gaskets don't last long. Hondas are the way to go.
    Honda gaskets # 18392- MAM- 000.

Spyder Garage

I just did this myself... the stock gasket on the right side was completely disintegrated. Replaced with the Honda gasket. The only problem occurred when one of the screws for the cover under the seat fell between the brakes and the wheel... took 15 minutes to dig it out.... LOL
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for pitching your thoughts