Spyder Garage

Default How to mount a Zumo 550?

I bought a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS and the mounting hardware is useless for my RT. What is needed
    to mount this unit on a Spyder?
    I checked the RAM website and Spyders are not listed. I did a search on this forums site and got no answer.
    I've see Garmins on Spyders at a distance but could not how they were mounted.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    , Scotty beat me to it. This is the one I used for my Zumo 660. Works great. When you order the ram mounts, be sure to get a ram ball that mounts to your zumo 550 base, a ram mount arm and the one in the above thread.

I went to Ace Hardware to get the bolt and spacer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For the past two years I have had my Zumo 550 mounted on the center of my handlebars with exactly the same base mount as described by Scotty. I ran the power cord from the Zumo to pick up power from a switched fuse block I had mounted in my front trunk. I also ran a cord from the audio out port of the Zumo to the auxillary input cable in the rear trunk so GPS directions and mp3 music from the Zumo could be heard through the RT's speakers using the auxillary mode. Both cords were fished through the plastic pop out on the handlebars and ran under the tupperware to the fuse block/rear trunk.

This winter, since I had most of the RT in pieces, I decided to re mount my Zumo on the dash, as described by Lamonster. I believe that I will prefer this mounting position since it gives me a clear line of view to the screen without looking down while driving. Just a personal preference on my part. I still have it wired as noted above although I now have my fuse block located in the rear trunk so power and audio out wires travel within a loom on the same path to the rear trunk.

Spyder Garage

OK Lamonster, I have it mounted like yours. Since my Spyder is new to me, where does the wiring go?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks! You're the best! That gives me a start.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Trying to learn some things before the RT arrives. Have the 665 and was thinking of powering it out of a 12V like I did with my old Nuvi, but then saw this thread.
    In the first of Lamont's pictures above, where is this on the RT? What are the wires he is holding in his fingers? Where/how are the bare end wires on the wiring harness (that were included in the box) hooked up? Thanks. I'm kinda wiring illiterate.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    Trying to learn some things before the RT arrives. Have the 665 and was thinking of powering it out of a 12V like I did with my old Nuvi, but then saw this thread.
    In the first of Lamont's pictures above, where is this on the RT? What are the wires he is holding in his fingers? Where/how are the bare end wires on the wiring harness (that were included in the box) hooked up? Thanks. I'm kinda wiring illiterate.
    when you remove the side panels on the right side on the back just below the passenger seat you will find a connector for the gps. You have to get the connector from your dealer to wire to the harness you recieved with the 665. you have to decide whether you want to use brp's mount or install it on the dash like other people have. Hope this helps. Ben
    48 down.