Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Highway speeds

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    You're welcome to try it, but I prefer not to artificially reduce my life expectancy. My doctor has worked too hard to get me here!
    Yeah... My Sawbones keep telling me the same thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm so impressed and grateful for all your comments... Lots of excellent advice.

I've been pondering about what factor(s) could have made me feel uneasy the other day on the highway, and I've listed the things I think I need to examine:

- Spyder instability. Not likely, I feel my RS is very much like "on tracks". The aftermarket swaybar and Elka shocks help a lot.
    - Wind buffering. It used to be a bigger factor until I put a 22" Madstad, now unless there is a strong cross wind, my head and upper body feel well shielded.
    - Spyder vibration. My teeth are not rattling and parts are not falling off. I have added Captain Jim's tensioner. I also have top notch antivib grips and pegs. That said, the Spyder is not as smooth a machine as my former BMW. I have to get used I will never will be able to cruise, and cut the wind at 100mph, like I used to with my 1200GS.
    - Power. No problem here, I find more than I need. I also have installed a HMF exhaust, a O2 modifier and a better flowing air filter. My Spyder is strong and fast. A 6th gear would probably help to smooth power delivery at higher speeds.
    - Noise level. I think this is what was getting to me. My HMF is a lot louder than the stock pipe. That Rotax engine revving above 6000 rpm, can really roar. Nevertheless I prefer a loud bike than a stealth one. I want my presence to be known for my own safety. I have to learn to appreciate and get used to my loud Spyder.

These realizations, along with all the good pointers posted in this thread, should help me feel more comfortable the next time I get on a highway.
    Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Try some ear plugs for a short test.... they make me feel like I'm ryding in the car (noise wise), but I can still hear the radio and traffic. Make sure they fit comfortably and snugggggggly or you'll still get noice leaks.

Another thing you should think about is just maybe.... as I feel sometimes (but don't tell anyone I admitted it) , you just don't feel the need to join the slab race and get there a whole minute earlier???

Row, row, row your boat.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...not a bad idea at all...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. I have a 2012 RT

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I ride the slab a lot. Fortunately, around here, the speeds are a little slower. I usually stick to about 75-78 as indicated on the speedo, which is around 72-75 in real life. The speed limit here is 70. At that speed, I pass more cars than pass me, but I do get passed. I do this whether on the RT or the RS. As has been said, ride at a speed that is within your comfort zone. There is no sense in arriving at your destination a nervous wreck. The sensation of speed is much greater on an open vehicle, and it can be unnerving to some...especially those new to open-air riding.

If your Spyder does not feel stable at speed, it may be time to get your alignment and steering sensor calibration checked, as well as checking the air pressure in your tires. A Spyder that has problems in those areas can feel unsteady at high speeds, but a Spyder that is properly set up is quite stable at pretty high speeds. They will handle triple digits readily.
    That just brought to the dealer for its first 600 MI check up. I explained there was a 'vibration' I felt in the 28 to 34 mph range, disappear, and come back in the 67 to 74 MPH range. The dealer was unable to verify the condition, and sez they could not find a problem. but perhaps I can ask about if the 'steering calibration sensor' was checked.I am new to the spyder experience and their idiosyncrasies. I'm ordering the 2012 shop manual (not available yet for $100 from the dealer). But thanks for some ammo to go back to the dealer with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zbunker View Post
    That just brought to the dealer for its first 600 MI check up. I explained there was a 'vibration' I felt in the 28 to 34 mph range, disappear, and come back in the 67 to 74 MPH range. The dealer was unable to verify the condition, and sez they could not find a problem. but perhaps I can ask about if the 'steering calibration sensor' was checked.I am new to the spyder experience and their idiosyncrasies. I'm ordering the 2012 shop manual (not available yet for $100 from the dealer). But thanks for some ammo to go back to the dealer with.
    A steering sensor that is not zeroed may cause instability or steering issues, but it will not cause vibration...unless it is so bad the tires chatter, and you'd know that for sure. Possible causes for vibration include too little air in the tires, tire balance/truing issues, inadequate engine/thrust rod clearance, belt tension, too low rpm, and the most common...normal V-twin engine harmonics. I'd take a closer look at the rpm you are running, what gear you are in, and where you are shifting. I don't know what you rode before, if anything, but a lot of folks have to adjust to the higher rpm of the Spyder engine. It is possible you are lugging the engine slightly, or are just in the range where the engine harmonics are the worst. The Spyder is happiest at 5,000 rpm or more.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default HIGHWAY

Recently on Rt 20 heading into Jackson Missouri t[f you weren't doing 80+ in the slow lane you'd be run over. So I was 80+ when the wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked "how fast are you going". At that moment an 18 wheeler was passing me and I said "apparently not fast enough". No I didn't speed up but it was exciting to say the least. We by passed Rt 20 on the way back!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    Recently on Rt 20 heading into Jackson Missouri t[f you weren't doing 80+ in the slow lane you'd be run over. So I was 80+ when the wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked "how fast are you going". At that moment an 18 wheeler was passing me and I said "apparently not fast enough". No I didn't speed up but it was exciting to say the least. We by passed Rt 20 on the way back!
    Gunk. If you came thru Jackson you weren't too far from me. Not sure about Hwy 20 though. Im not familiar with that one Maybe it was Hwy 25? Anyway if your ever through this way again give me a shout!

Spyder Garage

Default Nice looking machine

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    I agree, ride at your own pace but watch out for the cages. Here in Houston the traffic is brutal especially for bikers. I thought Florida was bad until I moved here.
    A very nice looking machine.
    I have a 2012 RT and want to wire lights under my machine too. I am going to get the manual to verify the correct wiring taps to make. I also want to have the 'regular' running lights to change to red when the brakes are applied I realize it will take two sets of lamps and a relay set up that incorporates the brake light system along with whatever that will be able to handle the current draw.
    Ron
    Last edited by zbunker; 02-10-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: signing name