Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway speeds

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for all your input guys, lots of good advice.
    My RS is very new, I've put only 1800 miles on it. I did the swaybar and Elka shocks upgrade. I also have a tall windshield.
    I've taken notes and again, I greatly appreciate your advice.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIGH SPEED

I AGREE WITH CHRIS56 COMPLETELY BUT DO NOT ADVISE FOLLOWING ME OR HIM FOR NUMEROUS LEGAL REASONS....I HAD MY 08 G/S UP TO 115 MPH FOR A FEW MILES WHILE TESTING OUT MY HOMEMADE TOURING WINDSHIELD.....IT WAS ROCK SOLID ....AND SO WAS THE SPYDER ...I'M SURE THE POWER STEERING HAD A LOT TO DO WITH IT....BUT I WAS SURPRISED AT THE STABILITY....I BEEN ON SOME VERY FAST TWO WHEELERS BUT NEVER FELT ANYWHERE NEAR AS COMFORTABLE DOING SO AS I DID ON THE .....MIKE....

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    --- except for 2X the speed.........

Prefer backroads too-- unless it's at night-- then highways are better. Typically run between 85-100 when alone or with the right people. When in Spyder group usually running 75-85......
    And yes-- I have the tickets to prove it.... lol..... now run all the 'protective' gear all the time.....radar and laser wise....also a member of the National Motorists Association..... who has all kinds of great info on fighting tickets... they'll even pay for your ticket if you lose in court.
    Don't do the crime if you ain't gonna pay the fine or do the time.

Wait.. Just realized I'm talking to "Firefly". Should know better than to talk the crew of Serenity outta crime :rotfl:
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default speedo

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I ride the slab a lot. Fortunately, around here, the speeds are a little slower. I usually stick to about 75-78 as indicated on the speedo, which is around 72-75 in real life. The speed limit here is 70. At that speed, I pass more cars than pass me, but I do get passed. I do this whether on the RT or the RS. As has been said, ride at a speed that is within your comfort zone. There is no sense in arriving at your destination a nervous wreck. The sensation of speed is much greater on an open vehicle, and it can be unnerving to some...especially those new to open-air riding.

If your Spyder does not feel stable at speed, it may be time to get your alignment and steering sensor calibration checked, as well as checking the air pressure in your tires. A Spyder that has problems in those areas can feel unsteady at high speeds, but a Spyder that is properly set up is quite stable at pretty high speeds. They will handle triple digits readily.

You noticed that too, huh?

Spyder Garage

RE: Speedometer error. I have also noted about 3 MPH low indication on . Every Kawasaki I have owned is usually 5 MPH low. The upside, I have never been stopped for speeding while living in Alaska since 2001. The LEO's like to hide on bridges and on ramps and make a lot of money on unawares speeders here. They will be coming out in great force once spring hits, but every day on my commute, I see three or four lucky drivers who are being cited for speeding.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=akspyderman;414762]RE: Speedometer error. I have also noted about 3 MPH low indication on . QUOTE]

You guys too?? I had a NYS Trooper Buddy follow me for "testing" the speedometer... We also came up with about a 3mph error at an indicated 70mph...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Three MPH error is nothing! A typical BMW has an average of 12% error, which amounts to over 8 MPH at 70 miles and hour. My former California Highway Patrol bike is an exception, with its certified speedometer. It matches the GPS exactly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I took my 2012 RT Limited on a short run up the Fla. turnpike, just to see what it would l like at those speeds and with the traffic.

1st, it doesn't handle well when you come up behind a Big Rig or any large vehicle. Moves to much for me.
    I noticed at 75 mph, there seemed to be a vibration, that felt like a body part vibrating in the wind, slowewd down to 65 and it went away.

I only have 198 miles on the bike as I have been sick just about ever sense I bought it, trying to get better and just had to go for another short ride.
    The idea of going to Heaven Peacefully isn't in my RIDERS BOOK,
    Sliding my Spider in sideways, screaming "Man What A Ride" Sounds
    Just fine!

If the police didn't see ME, I didn't do it!

Spyder Garage

There is a "learning curve" of about 500 miles or so before you get "the hang" of driving .

Most recommend steering inputs as light as you can. Overcontrolling will give you the feeling that the has a mind of its own. 75 MPH behind a truck causes a different dynamic too.

Don't give up--a thousand miles from now you will be loving your

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And heal up so that you'll be feeling better!

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JolyStNick View Post
    I took my 2012 RT Limited on a short run up the Fla. turnpike, just to see what it would l like at those speeds and with the traffic.

1st, it doesn't handle well when you come up behind a Big Rig or any large vehicle. Moves to much for me.
    I noticed at 75 mph, there seemed to be a vibration, that felt like a body part vibrating in the wind, slowewd down to 65 and it went away.

I only have 198 miles on the bike as I have been sick just about ever sense I bought it, trying to get better and just had to go for another short ride.
    When I first got my 2011 RT, I too hated driving much over 60 as it had a bad vibration to the point I wanted dealer to buy back. Dealer indicated that when shipped, the tires are deflated somewhat and sometimes sitting in the crates get flat spots. They pulled the weights, rebalanced which helped.
    What made the biggest difference was my adding Ride-On. Since, much smother ride at high speeds.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JolyStNick View Post
    ...1st, it doesn't handle well when you come up behind a Big Rig or any large vehicle. Moves to much for me...
    There is a great deal of turbulence behind a truck, which increases with both the speed and the size of the truck. I've never had a bike that didn't move around a bit when coming up behind a truck on the interstate. It's just something you get used to, and then avoid being in that position for very long. Either pass or drop back until you find smoother air (which can be quite far behind a big truck).
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ride 33 miles of 4 lane, each way to work; most everyday.
    the speed LIMIT ranges from 55-60-65-55-50-45; and it's in
    pre-dawn rush hour and early evening rush hour. and I equate
    this as Driving With Dumb Asses. most of the cagers are not
    yet awake, or they're worn out from a day at work.

normally... I just ride in the far right lane, with the cruise set
    for two miles BELOW the posted limit, on my way into work.
    for this area... it works, and I usually get passed by most of
    the traffic.

in the afternoon, I have about 12 miles of throttle time; until
    I get out of range of the congestion. then, I turn on the cruise
    through the highlands and listen to tunes. but I still ride the
    right lane and let everyone pass me.

any other time on highways... it's defensive driving time.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    There is a great deal of turbulence behind a truck, which increases with both the speed and the size of the truck. I've never had a bike that didn't move around a bit when coming up behind a truck on the interstate. It's just something you get used to, and then avoid being in that position for very long. Either pass or drop back until you find smoother air (which can be quite far behind a big truck).
    I think what a lot of people don't understand is that riding a 3 wheel vehicle is not like driving a 3 thousand pound car, There will be turbulence, It comes with the territory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I think what a lot of people don't understand is that riding a 3 wheel vehicle is not like driving a 3 thousand pound car, There will be turbulence, It comes with the territory.
    The big rigs either suck or blow. Hang on and get around them. Don't want a retread smacking you in the face.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Highway Speeds

My 2009 RS seems very stable at 75-80 plus MPH as far as the handling goes, the problem is that the gearing on the Spyder is so off the mark at speed, it needs that sixth gear in the worst way. I found a 30 tooth front sprocket which helps a lot, it seems much more relaxed anytime I am in fifth gear especially over 60 MPH but it could easily be geared taller. There is absolutely no reason a machine like this should rev as high as it does on the highway, I have not ridden an RT but if it is truely a touring machine, it must be geared higher in fifth than my RS. If you have a chance to ride one with the 30 tooth front sprocket, you will be suprised at the difference it makes. Too bad they are not made any longer, good luck Sir

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    here in Europe on the "Autobahn" we drive around 95 mph with our 2010 RT (costs a lot of fuel).. the RT is "faster" than our good old GS - the wind protection is (also for my girl) perfect..
    we ryde faster than our 1500er goldy or our BMWs - never had a bike which felt so secure on the fast highways than a spyder (if my wife thinks we are too fast she push on my helmet)

with the new front shocks (2011) and the right pressure in the wheels (ask scotty) you can handle that speed with one hand ..
    (max speed is 110 mph on the RT - no problem)
    I have wondered about the max speed on the RT. I have seen 104 on mine and felt like it had a little more to give but I always seem to run out of road or something. I have run 104 a couple of times and the RT is very stable. It really felt good. I have ran 90 + with the trailer and it was stable as could be.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

75 - 80 if riding behind Forrest.
    65 - 70 riding alone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    There is a great deal of turbulence behind a truck... Either pass or drop back until you find smoother air...
    Orrr... move up until you get completely within the pocket of still air...
    At that proximity to the truck you'll be able to read all of the DOT numbers and spray painted stuff REAL good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Orrr... move up until you get completely within the pocket of still air...
    At that proximity to the truck you'll be able to read all of the DOT numbers and spray painted stuff REAL good!

IF there is a pocket of still air, I doubt it's down low where the Spyder sits. You're welcome to try it, but I prefer not to artificially reduce my life expectancy. My doctor has worked too hard to get me here!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hrbeta View Post
    Hi all. I try to stay off highways as much as I can, however, here in Florida everything is so spread out, a highway some times is the only option to get there, period.
    Yesterday I had to get on the Turn Pike for a 50 miles stretch. I was doing 75 mph and still many, many cars swooped by my at 80 miles plus. It was not a relaxing ride I must say.
    When I'm forced to take I-95 it's even worse, more trucks, more jalopies, more exits and volume.
    My 2011 RS handles well at 75 mph, but I feel I'm pushing it when I go above 80 mph. Maybe it's me. I don't like to ride that fast but sometimes I need to get up there, just to get away from some drivers.
    Florida is not the friendliest State to drive in, but I think that's another topic.
    I'm mainly interested in hearing about the high-speed-comfort-level other Spyder riders have, specially those on RTs.
    Cheers.

Hrbeta - great Topic and lots of great feedback as well.

Your "comfort zone" has several factors and will be different than anyone else.

Time on and Experience with the bike
    weather - wind, wet, buffeting, noise
    condition of bike
    traffic
    road conditions
    even the way you are feeling on a given day

Many factors will affect your experience.

Are you asking if there are ways to improve your comfort zone at higher speeds? If so, first you will need to identify what you are uncomfortable with over 80 ( other than the speed of the other vehicles).

For instance, I feel much more comfortable. When I wear ear plugs on the open road. It greatly reduces the road noise and wind pounding off of the helmet and it can help preserve your hearing. The same applies jacket, pants and boots. That unseen wind can unnerving at times.

Also, when larger vehicles are passing, moving away a little reduces the impact of wind blast.

Engine vibration, sway due to over-steering, wind or uneven air pressure (check before each ryde) or alignment can be factors as well.

Sometimes, it's just a particular stretch of road or time of day...? For me, riding at dawn or dusk or anything limiting my visibility, greatly reduces my riding confidence.

Ryder confidence can shift for a number of reasons... The best advice I've seen or heard is don't push it when you start to feel less comfortable. Usually, time on the bike (on the slab) and trying small adjustments to figure out what feels better will help.

In some areas and with good to great conditions.... The slab can be a great road to Ryde!!!

Spyder Garage

Living in DC, you can't avoid the highways (or crazy drivers)-- even when going out for fun, I have to ride the highways OUT of town to get to the best twisties.

I admire the folks who ride above 90+ mph. I've gotten there a couple of times on the RS, and mine just isn't happy there. It does 70-80 pretty well, though, and frankly anything faster than that only invites unwanted legal entanglements that aren't worth it to me.

My rules of thumb on the Spyder (many are common sense, or stuff from MSF or other books/classes):
    1. As long as the speeds aren't insane/legally reckless, I usually go a bit faster than traffic; as noted, better to have the problems BEHIND you than in front of you.
    2. NEVER pace traffic. NEVER ride in other driver's blind spots. I speed up or slow down as necessary, I need to be seen.
    3. Invest in a bigger windshield. The stock RS shield is a joke; I run a 24" Madstad in the winter, this makes all the difference in turbulence/noise/comfort.
    4. Similarly, I run a FF helmet and earplugs on the highway. I'll leave the earplugs out only if I'm running side streets; any time on the highway, I reach for the plugs (both for comfort and safety-- hearing loss is irreversible!).
    5. Avoid tractor-trailers at all costs. Don't ride behind them (you can't see what's in front of them), don't ride next to them (turbulence/tire blow-outs), don't ride in front of them (you can stop faster than they can).
    6. Keep your head on a swivel. Check blind spots using mirrors and head swerves. Then check them again. Always keep an exit in case something goes wrong.
    7. Wear a sun visor or pack sunglasses. You don't want to be squinting on the road.
    8. If you don't wear waterproof gear, buy a rain suit. Riding wet is uncomfortable at best, a risky distraction at worst.
    9. CHOOSE the best lane available for the situation you're in.

I stay out of the fast lane unless passing. I also stay out of the slow lane unless entering/exiting the highway. I know that a lot of new/slower riders think it's good to be in the right-hand lane, but I much prefer being in a lane that doesn't encounter merging traffic that might not see you, or a lane that invites exiting traffic to swerve into it at the last moment. Again, all lane choices are situational (and constantly & continuously evaluated), but if all things are equal, I prefer the middle lanes simply because they tend to afford me the most "escape" options in an emergency.

10. Lastly, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Practice in a parking lot: emergency swerving and braking. Then, get on the highway at off hours (early on weekend mornings is ideal) to get comfortable with the speed. You don't want to find yourself uncomfortable riding on the highway the first time you're stuck in rush hour traffic. Also, find a nice rainy day and go play in it-- learn how the Spyder handles in the wet (very well!) and get comfortable with bad weather.

Oh, one other thing: if you're in the market for a Spyder and you live in a built-up urban area, do yourself a favor and buy the *SE5*. Your left hand and foot will thank you for it.
    Last edited by daveinva; 02-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

One more to add, not a highway rule but a *riding* rule of thumb taught to me that's served me well so far: when looking ahead at those left-turn lane cars or stopped cars perpendicular to your road, DON'T look at the center mass of the car (let alone the driver)-- instead, focus on the front hood of the car, or better yet, the front wheels of the car.

The human eye is drawn to movement; by focusing on the part of the car most likely to be moving, you'll spot whether that car is pulling out in front of you sooner by looking at the wheels or watching the hood dip than by staring at the center of the vehicle.

Unless you're riding in hydroplaning conditions, it's a general fact of physical reality that if a car's wheels ain't turning, it ain't moving.

It takes practice to train yourself to look for this stuff, but in a few months you'll find it second nature.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Cars are stupid! they go where ever they are pointed.
    Seriously, after 40+ years on motorcycles it has become second nature for me to anticipate where the driver is going and what they might do. Many times I can tell in advance when a car is going to move into my lane and cut me off. Most you guys out there with experience know what I'm talking about.
    You must watch every bobble and movement of the drivers head. Sometimes they drive as if they are lost and if they don't know where they are it is a sure bet they don't know where you are. When drivers are looking for a turn or landmark etc. they certainly are not looking for a motorcycle. The best advise is to ALWAYS anticipate that a car WILL pull out at an intersection, they will always change lanes on you and that they will never see you. It does become second nature and it is amazing how quick the computer in our head can process all of the information that our eyes are scanning for.

Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I don't have a lot of additional info as most of what has been written before is good stuff... I don't care for Interstate/Hwy riding but I have done more than my share over the last 50+ years... the first time on the Spyder at speed on the Interstate was disconcerting.. moves around too much, etc.. but then as I just relaxed it became just another ride on the road... yes, it still moves around, but I concentrate on the traffic and staying alive in it and the let the Spyder do it's thing.. rolling at 65-75 has become just another journey (albeit "exciting" when you add in the fools in cages rolling along in total oblivion). In a nutshell.. relax, stay alert, know your limitations and ride like you are invisible.
    $Bill
    '10 Orbital Blue RT-S SE5
    '15 White/Black F3S SE6
    '13 Victory Cross Country Blacked Out - TRADED
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

USAF 1963-1987, US Fed Courts 1987-2010
    Retired 2010-?