Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway speeds

Spyder Garage

Default Highway speeds

Hi all. I try to stay off highways as much as I can, however, here in Florida everything is so spread out, a highway some times is the only option to get there, period.
    Yesterday I had to get on the Turn Pike for a 50 miles stretch. I was doing 75 mph and still many, many cars swooped by my at 80 miles plus. It was not a relaxing ride I must say.
    When I'm forced to take I-95 it's even worse, more trucks, more jalopies, more exits and volume.
    My 2011 RS handles well at 75 mph, but I feel I'm pushing it when I go above 80 mph. Maybe it's me. I don't like to ride that fast but sometimes I need to get up there, just to get away from some drivers.
    Florida is not the friendliest State to drive in, but I think that's another topic.
    I'm mainly interested in hearing about the high-speed-comfort-level other Spyder riders have, specially those on RTs.
    Cheers.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I just ride with the flow. I try my best to stay out of the pack when the auto's, and truck's bunch up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stay away from the cages... If that requires running at "only 75" and letting them pass you... Set whatever pace you are comfortable at and DO NOT let anybody push you beyond it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not a fan of the super slabs either, some real crazies out there. But, like you said, sometimes it's the best way to get where you want to go. When I am running a big road I'm not as concerned with my speed as in finding a 'safe place' to run....seems like a lot of cager folks like to run in little packs....I try to avoid those, either by accelerating a safe distance ahead or backing off slightly.
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Spyder Garage

I agree, ride at your own pace but watch out for the cages. Here in Houston the traffic is brutal especially for bikers. I thought Florida was bad until I moved here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    I'm not a fan of the super slabs either, some real crazies out there. But, like you said, sometimes it's the best way to get where you want to go. When I am running a big road I'm not as concerned with my speed as in finding a 'safe place' to run....seems like a lot of cager folks like to run in little packs....I try to avoid those, either by accelerating a safe distance ahead or backing off slightly.
    DITTO

Spyder Garage

I just got home from a 2100 mile trip from PA to Florida and back mostly on 95. I do agree that there are many oblivious cagers out there. I seem to be in the minority when it comes to speed though. My 2010 RSS loves to go fast and I am often having to back off the throttle because I am going 90 mph before I even realize it.

All the advice others have given is very good especially about not letting someone push you to ride outside your comfort level.

CAC
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 02-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

First, ride at a speed that's comfortable for you. It can be very relaxing to drive in the right hand lane at a speed slightly slower than the flow of traffic. As others have said, try to avoid getting into tight groups of cars and "ride your own ride."
    Dan

Spyder Garage

I am not a fan of interstates no matter what I am on/in. I find the RT fairly stable but I have issues with the wind turbulence from the trucks and if you don't pay attention it can move you around. I find that keeping around 65 - 70 works pretty well but you really have to watch those cagers that pull over right in front of you.

Stay in your comfort zone and always watch out for the other guy because they seem to be nuts
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

When I had my GS, I found riding at high speeds with the OEM windshield to be a little exhausting - with the wind at my head and chest. Once I upgraded to the touring windshield, it was so much better. My helmet got quieter and I was able to run in the 75-80MPH range without feeling rushed. I think part of feeling uncomfortable is the fact that the faster you go, the more wind you feel and hear and you realize how fast you're going and sort of psych yourself out knowing how fast you're traveling. Now that I have the RT, there are many times when I look down and notice that I've been traveling at 80MPH+ and have to slow down. The RT is a much smoother ride - doesn't vibrate as much as the GS, is bigger and heavier, and has much more wind protection - so you don't feel like you're riding beyond your ability.
    But like everyone else here has stated, you should ride within your own comfort level. If that means moving over to the slow lane, so be it. There is no shame in wanting to stay alive another day.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride in your comfort zone, But if you find that too many drivers are passing you, and running up your rear end, Maybe it's because your not comtfortable at highway speeds and you are inadvertently picking up speed and then slowing down, That will drive most other drivers nuts.

Spyder Garage

I drive on the highway more in the winter to give the Spyder a Good run and what kills me -Is someone going the normal speed BUT wandering All over and when I CAREfully pass them and look over-Their "Texting!" I beep the you know what out of them and then Speed of pretending to text and talk on a fake cell phone in my left hand!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. Ride within your comfort zone. Avoid packs of cars or trucks. I usually back off and keep my distance, if possible, for the vehicles in front of me. I am okay with faster speeds, but usually ride at the speed of most others--posted plus 5.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is always safest to travel at or just above the flow of traffic. That generally puts all your issues infront of you reducing the total area you have to focus on. That does not mean you don't still have to watch your rear but it reduces the possibility of an issue coming from behind. Of course there is also the speed limit to be concerned with so you have to balance everything out.

If you ride slower than the flow of traffic you're asking for trouble you don't need.

My only real dissappointment with the Spyder is that it will only do about 125! A bit boaring but I have a lot of fun at lesser speeds anyway...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I ride the slab a lot. Fortunately, around here, the speeds are a little slower. I usually stick to about 75-78 as indicated on the speedo, which is around 72-75 in real life. The speed limit here is 70. At that speed, I pass more cars than pass me, but I do get passed. I do this whether on the RT or the RS. As has been said, ride at a speed that is within your comfort zone. There is no sense in arriving at your destination a nervous wreck. The sensation of speed is much greater on an open vehicle, and it can be unnerving to some...especially those new to open-air riding.

If your Spyder does not feel stable at speed, it may be time to get your alignment and steering sensor calibration checked, as well as checking the air pressure in your tires. A Spyder that has problems in those areas can feel unsteady at high speeds, but a Spyder that is properly set up is quite stable at pretty high speeds. They will handle triple digits readily.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode an RS for a short time but did get some highway mileage on it. At first we just had the stock windshield and I will say I wasn't a huge fan but when we got a taller windshield it really helped smooth out the ride. I have ridden across the country on my RT and I am completely comfortable at any speed. I totally enjoyed setting the cruise at 84 going across Texas and I am fine with city travel. It sounds like you may be looking for an excuse to upgrade to an RT - I say go for it. You'll love it for comfort and so many other reasons.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I love the slab riding and love the speed - once I get on the concrete, if I don't see the downside of 75, I am happy....
    I worry a lot more about some fool pulling out in front of me or into me from a crossroad or an intersection than I do one hitting me on the highway where I have a better view of them..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

here in Europe on the "Autobahn" we drive around 95 mph with our 2010 RT (costs a lot of fuel).. the RT is "faster" than our good old GS - the wind protection is (also for my girl) perfect..
    we ryde faster than our 1500er goldy or our BMWs - never had a bike which felt so secure on the fast highways than a spyder (if my wife thinks we are too fast she push on my helmet)

with the new front shocks (2011) and the right pressure in the wheels (ask scotty) you can handle that speed with one hand ..
    (max speed is 110 mph on the RT - no problem)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the limit is 65, then I'm usually poking along at about 68...

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go with the flow of traffic or slightly faster to get past the idiots. If you drive slower than the flow, you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just me but the most fun I have on my Spyder is taking the back roads and enjoying the ryde at 45 MPH!

Spyder Garage

Really, statistically, the safest place to be is on the Interstate no matter what you're driving.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is very true... but sometimes the fun that comes with the risks is what it's all about!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Maybe it's just me but the most fun I have on my Spyder is taking the back roads and enjoying the ryde at 45 MPH!
    --- except for 2X the speed.........

Prefer backroads too-- unless it's at night-- then highways are better. Typically run between 85-100 when alone or with the right people. When in Spyder group usually running 75-85......
    And yes-- I have the tickets to prove it.... lol..... now run all the 'protective' gear all the time.....radar and laser wise....also a member of the National Motorists Association..... who has all kinds of great info on fighting tickets... they'll even pay for your ticket if you lose in court.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Flow riders

Slab, backroad, not much difference to us, on the slab, tend to go with the flow of traffic. That is, unless the flow develops into 80+ mph. On the backroads, tend to go 5 mph slower than posted. There was some talk about high speed stability. Scotty had mentioned that a properly set up machine will be a lot nicer at higher speeds. I remember well what my learning curve was like. Lamont made an inspirational video passing a truck at speed that is worthy of a look.

Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167