Spyder Garage

Default Cycle Hauling, Transport & Tour Service to Out West?

At the Easy Rider show here in Charlotte a few weeks ago, I ran across a company (http://lynnisenhour.com/) out of Winston-Salem that has a service where they will transport your cycle (on pre-scheduled tours) with other bikes, and then take everyone on planned rides. For example, Sturgis, SD; Daytona Bike Week; Calif Coast; Las Vegas (Grand canyon, Hoover Dam, etc.).

My wife dreams of the Jackson Hole Wyoming/Montana/Yellowstone trip. You pay for your airfare, and hotels and they transport your bike and coordinate the tours. I talked to Lynn the other night and he said that Wyoming has been sold out since Nov and has 9 on the list for next year. Worse, when he found out I had a Spyder, possibly two, he talked about charging me triple per Spyder, based on the amount of room it takes up. I get it. Don't like it, but get it. He told me if I was up his way that he would love to get my bike in his truck to check for spacing for other Spyder ryders.

The fee is already pretty steep, but double or triple is out of the question to make a trip affordable. By the time you add airfares and hotels and food, this is becoming a second mortgage. (Before you say it, NO, I am not going to drive my Spyder 2000 miles to Wyoming to ride another 1500, then 2000 back. Besides the fact that I don't have a month to do it in, I value my ass and bike a little more than that. If you are retired or don't have work commitments or think I am a candy ass, I can live with that. ) I can rent Harleys out there, but I didn't buy one of those because I like my Spyder better. What's the point of owning a Spyder if you have to rent a Harley? Plus, shipping is almost cheaper than renting for a week. I have started looking into a trailer but who wants to drive 4000 miles pulling a trailer?

Here is my question: Has anyone heard of another services like this that will take your bike, round trip, for a reasonable amount of money? I don't need the tour, but do need the transport. I have found shipping companies that will do it it from anywhere from about $600 per bike. per direction, all the way up to $1000 each way, each bike. If you know a bike shipping company that is reasonable, that may work. How can I ship 1-2 Spyders out to tour Wyoming without breaking the bank?
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Shipping

Try this: http://www.uship.com/

Drivers bid for your job and you might get a good price.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Hauling out west

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    Try this: http://www.uship.com/

Drivers bid for your job and you might get a good price.
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Might consider...

trailering it. With airfare for two, etc, might be a wash!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Default Great Trip

I have this trip hopefully in the plans for the summer.
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Spyder Garage

Default Alternatives??

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    At the Easy Rider show here in Charlotte a few weeks ago, I ran across a company (http://lynnisenhour.com/) out of Winston-Salem that has a service where they will transport your cycle (on pre-scheduled tours) with other bikes, and then take everyone on planned rides. For example, Sturgis, SD; Daytona Bike Week; Calif Coast; Las Vegas (Grand canyon, Hoover Dam, etc.).

My wife dreams of the Jackson Hole Wyoming/Montana/Yellowstone trip. You pay for your airfare, and hotels and they transport your bike and coordinate the tours. I talked to Lynn the other night and he said that Wyoming has been sold out since Nov and has 9 on the list for next year. Worse, when he found out I had a Spyder, possibly two, he talked about charging me triple per Spyder, based on the amount of room it takes up. I get it. Don't like it, but get it. He told me if I was up his way that he would love to get my bike in his truck to check for spacing for other Spyder ryders.

The fee is already pretty steep, but double or triple is out of the question to make a trip affordable. By the time you add airfares and hotels and food, this is becoming a second mortgage. (Before you say it, NO, I am not going to drive my Spyder 2000 miles to Wyoming to ride another 1500, then 2000 back. Besides the fact that I don't have a month to do it in, I value my ass and bike a little more than that. If you are retired or don't have work commitments or think I am a candy ass, I can live with that. ) I can rent Harleys out there, but I didn't buy one of those because I like my Spyder better. What's the point of owning a Spyder if you have to rent a Harley? Plus, shipping is almost cheaper than renting for a week. I have started looking into a trailer but who wants to drive 4000 miles pulling a trailer?

Here is my question: Has anyone heard of another services like this that will take your bike, round trip, for a reasonable amount of money? I don't need the tour, but do need the transport. I have found shipping companies that will do it it from anywhere from about $600 per bike. per direction, all the way up to $1000 each way, each bike. If you know a bike shipping company that is reasonable, that may work. How can I ship 1-2 Spyders out to tour Wyoming without breaking the bank?
    First of all, your wife is right. I did that trip, 6,600 miles or something like that, three years ago with 5 others that joined up in Jackson Hole and went from there. GREAT time. Secondly, I'll bet I know a nice, quiet, reserved old guy who would ride one of your bikes out there for expenses, including air fare back to NC. Bike has to have a back rest. I'd even ride to your place from GA at no charge. I need a max of 5 minutes notice! Not quite sure of the economics for you, but I'm ready.
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

The uship company referred to above has been featured on one of those "reality" shows--Shipping Wars.

After looking at a couple of the shows--I am not sure that I want the lowest bidder hauling across country for me. There were a couple that looked like they knew what they were doing, but the jury is out--as far as I am concerned on the other featured haulers.

The trip your planning is beautiful, but just like you, I don't want to drive thousands of miles just to drive more thousands of miles in one trip. Not enough time, and driving worn out is also not fun.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default uship

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The uship company referred to above has been featured on one of those "reality" shows--Shipping Wars.

After looking at a couple of the shows--I am not sure that I want the lowest bidder hauling across country for me. There were a couple that looked like they knew what they were doing, but the jury is out--as far as I am concerned on the other featured haulers.

The trip your planning is beautiful, but just like you, I don't want to drive thousands of miles just to drive more thousands of miles in one trip. Not enough time, and driving worn out is also not fun.
    I contacted Uship and posted the specs and did not receive one bid. I think because it was of the return trip issue. If I just wanted to ship one way, that may have been less of an issue. but one way and then back a week later. ????
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Have you considered renting one out there? We have a sponsor here who rents Spyders in Colorado and Arizona.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry, but you bought an RT (TOURING model), but you're not willing to do any TOURING on it? I guarentee I value my Spyder just as much as you do, if not more, and I have put 36K on it in 20 months. And I plan on putting another 4400 on it in April when I go to SpyderFest. In my opinion, Spyders, wether Touring or Sport, don't deserve to be garaged or trailered.

Sorry if this seems Soapbox-ish, but it just irked me a little.

As for the site Uship. I have used them once with no problem. I shipped a brand new trailer from Michiganto California, while I was deployed to Japan, I had lower offers than the one I chose, but they also didn't meet my specifications. The company I chose was based out of where I was stationed st the time, and they even stored the trailer at their location for free till I got back. I highly reccomend the site....and wouldn't base it off a reality tv show.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Default Touring

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you bought an RT (TOURING model), but you're not willing to do any TOURING on it? I guarentee I value my Spyder just as much as you do, if not more, and I have put 36K on it in 20 months. And I plan on putting another 4400 on it in April when I go to SpyderFest. In my opinion, Spyders, wether Touring or Sport, don't deserve to be garaged or trailered. Sorry if this seems Soapbox-ish, but it just irked me a little.

As for the site Uship. I have used them once with no problem. I shipped a brand new trailer from Michiganto California, while I was deployed to Japan, I had lower offers than the one I chose, but they also didn't meet my specifications. The company I chose was based out of where I was stationed st the time, and they even stored the trailer at their location for free till I got back. I highly reccomend the site....and wouldn't base it off a reality tv show.
    Joe,
    Sorry you're irked. Bottom line is: We just don't have time to ride 4000+ miles round trip... plus 1500+ miles once we are there. My business, her job, pets, limited vacation time for this trip, and a few other factors, don't make that possible for us right now. I sort of wish we had the time, but unfortunately we don't. If we were retired, maybe. I ride my Spyder about 3-4 times per week all year round as transportation, regional road trips, and time willing... on vacations. Since buying it in Sept., I have put on 3500 miles (more than I put on my car since then) just running around Charlotte.

I appreciate the fact that some people's situation are different and they have the freedom to do that, but it's just not practical for us. More than that, I don't know that I would WANT it to be, at this point. 6000 miles divided by even 400 miles per day (8 hours at 50 mph average) is 15 days, without any lee way for side trips or stay overs. 15 solid days of riding with out a break, is starting to sound an awful like a "job" and less like a vacation. Truthfully, that muched 'forced riding' doesn't sound like that much fun to me. The Wyoming tour is broken into 7 days of 250 miles each, which seems both easy and casual with plenty of time for site seeing and side trips. Cool if the bike is there when I get off the plane, not so much, if I have a sore ass just getting it there. I'm willing to "tour" just not be a slave to it though. 1500 miles seems like a pretty good tour to me. 6000 miles sounds like a career move. Different strokes I guess.

As for Uship, I didn't put too much stock in the TV show either. But even after altering our specs, I couldn't get any bids. I am working on an alternative plan. Hopefully we will get out there this year.
    Last edited by WingmanRT; 03-22-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Renting

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Have you considered renting one out there? We have a sponsor here who rents Spyders in Colorado and Arizona.
    Yeah, I actually did think about that, and investigated pricing etc. but it "irked me" (as Joe said) to rent two Spyders when we would have two sitting in a garage in Charlotte. Plus, on a purely selfish note, I want MY Spyder out there. Is this rational or even practical?... not really. But after spending all this money, it seems a shame not to have ours under us when touring. And as childish as that seems, it may make the difference between affording the trip, having the time for it, or not going. I haven't given up yet though. Time for Plan C...
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

If you don't have luck with the uShip route, some suggested shippers (note that I haven't used any of these, but they're the ones I've seen most highly recommended):

Federal: http://www.funtransport.com/

JC Motors: http://motorcycleshippers.com/

Keyboard Carriage: http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

Forward Air: http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

Cross-country rates are usually in line with what you quoted, $400-$750 per bike each way; for size reasons alone I'd expect the Spyder to default at the high end, sadly. Some do door-to-door service, others will store a bike at a delivery location, i.e. you should be able to fly in, cab there, and ride out.

I'd second the rental option, if only because with shipping you may not get your bike on time, and worse, if something broke during shipping you're left with a broken bike. That said, the prices I've seen for rental Spyders make me sick to my stomach, so you're most definitely not going to save money going that route versus shipping.

Another route to consider is finding someone who can ride your Spyder out west and hand it off to you. Don't laugh, it's pretty common with bikers, I know that if I had the free time I'd ride out a nice bike for free if someone bought me a plane ticket home.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    If you don't have luck with the uShip route, some suggested shippers (note that I haven't used any of these, but they're the ones I've seen most highly recommended):
    Federal: http://www.funtransport.com/
    JC Motors: http://motorcycleshippers.com/
    Keyboard Carriage: http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/
    Forward Air: http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp
    Cross-country rates are usually in line with what you quoted, $400-$750 per bike each way;
    I'd second the rental option, if only because with shipping you may not get your bike on time, and worse, if something broke during shipping you're left with a broken bike. That said, the prices I've seen for rental Spyders make me sick to my stomach, so you're most definitely not going to save money going that route versus shipping.
    Another route to consider is finding someone who can ride your Spyder out west and hand it off to you. Don't laugh, it's pretty common with bikers, I know that if I had the free time I'd ride out a nice bike for free if someone bought me a plane ticket home.
    Thanks for the leads on shippers. The rental option is about $200 per day x 2 bikes (she wants her own) x 7 days = $2800+. ugh. Plus airfare and hotel. That is a BIG vacation for one week. (For about half that, we could fly to Aruba and leave the damned bikes home!) About the same price range for shipping more or less. If I could get the low end of the spectrum, it could be financially feasible. As if. I have had one offer to drive the bike out, but part of me feels like it would be handing over my Baby. Plus adding a ton of miles I didn't get to enjoy. I am going to check out the shippers you listed and see what they say. If I can find a moving van line with a partial load that can fit the bikes at least one way and then pay the bike shipper to get them back... that might work. As for breakage, even if they have insurance, that would suck and put the trip off to a downer. No way to avoid that, that I can see.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I took that trip last year - got in the middle of a heard of buffalo that wanted to cross the road right where we were (they are bigger than the Spyder, by a bunch!!) We went in September, after the rug rats went back to school. We spent 5 days in and around Yellowstone - and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway - which was the best road on the trip.

While we were there, we met three other Spyder riders, who trailered their Spyders from your area to Denver in a large horse trailer, owned by one of the riders - they spent three weeks getting to Yellowstone, and around the area, then back to Denver. Sounded like a great way to go.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder shipping FYI

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Just an FYI on anyone looking to ship a Spyder out west round trip...

It was worth a try. Thanks for the leads. Still working other angles.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You may try some LTL (less than truck load)companies like Conway Freight http://www.con-way.com/en/freight/ But I believe the bikes would have to be crated to go that direction. May be worth a check.

Spyder Garage

Wingman, had this come up last tuesday I could have asked the shipper who stopped by my place to pick up a Honda Helix to haul to N.J. to the person who bought it from me. He was coming up from Daytona picking up bikes along the way and by his comment it sounded like $500 per bike regardless of distance. I helped him load it on a tall 18 wheeler and it was nearly full with 3 abreast. Based on what I saw an RT would take up 3 spaces, plus we had to take off the windshield since he had a VW on a top rack! It was a nice truck, and he mentioned buying/hauling for Jay Leno, Springsteen, & Billy Joel....had a nice 85 Guzzie on board going to Joel! His name was Dan and company is D&K, Newton NJ, 973 534 7823. Buyer of my Helix said it arrived it perfect condition. I think it would be a hard thing to for you to arrange pick-up time wise, aside from the cost. Best of luck, sounds like a great trip.