Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    chickridin

Default Need Trailer/Hauling Advise Please

We're thinking about buying a trailer to haul my Spyder AND our HD Ultra, together. We have an enclosed 7x14 and yesterday and we tried fitting them both in but no go. We don't want to pack them in like sardines and chance damaging either bike. I really would like to keep the trailer we have for when we want to take just the HD or Spyder alone. Besides, we haven't had this one for to long so I don't want to lose my butt on selling it. What we were thinking of getting is a open flatbed trailer, or a lawnscaping trailer I guess they're called. The one we're looking at it 16x6.5 but we're not sure if that would be wide enough. If anyone has any ideas that would be great!! Pictures would be even better!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An 18 footer would certainly be long enough to run them in nose to tail... But at the expense of cost and size! Would the 16 footer allow for that positioning also?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    An 18 footer would certainly be long enough to run them in nose to tail... But at the expense of cost and size! Would the 16 footer allow for that positioning also?
    The Spyder is about 9 ft long and the Ultra is about the same.....so, 16 foot probably wouldn't work for nose/tail loading. We also thought we could load the Spyder first, head in, then pick up the rear and lift is to the side then put the HD straight in, which is what we tried, but, the problem with that is, even with a bigger trailer, hubby isn't getting any younger and them there Spyders ain't lightweights. We're probably going to have to go with an 18'. Hubby doesn't want to buy another enclosed trailer, for a couple reasons....cost of course, and, the added weight to haul both bikes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking Trailer?

Trailers are for boat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Trailers are for boats!
    Generally speaking; I agree... But circumstances sometimes force alternate plans upon us all...

Spyder Garage

I use an open landscape type trailer to haul my Spyder behind the motorhome. It works very well. The bike won't stay clean, but it won't stay clean if you're riding it, either. I like the fact that my trailer is aluminum, very light and can be moved around readily by hand. We have a full mudflap on the back of the motorhome which keeps debris away from the bike.
    Dan

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Trailers are for boat!
    I normally would agree but.......health reasons sometimes won't let me do what I want to do.

chickridin

Generally speaking; I agree... But circumstances sometimes force alternate plans upon us all...

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    The Spyder is about 9 ft long and the Ultra is about the same.....so, 16 foot probably wouldn't work for nose/tail loading. We also thought we could load the Spyder first, head in, then pick up the rear and lift is to the side then put the HD straight in, which is what we tried, but, the problem with that is, even with a bigger trailer, hubby isn't getting any younger and them there Spyders ain't lightweights. We're probably going to have to go with an 18'. Hubby doesn't want to buy another enclosed trailer, for a couple reasons....cost of course, and, the added weight to haul both bikes.

I have the same trailer as you (7x14) I know I could put a Spyder and a two wheeler in mine if mine was empty. Have you tried it the other way ??? Pull the HD in first and put that offset and then back the Spyder in like I do. I have plenty of room behind my Spyder even with all the stuff I have in my trailer.

The HD will be alot easier to off set and angle than the Spyder would be. You might have to relocate your tie down pionts in the trailer but IMO, a 7x14 should be plenty big enough. I have a fridge, Microwave, tall stand up cabinet and full sink with countertop behind my Spyder not counting a full queen bed next to the Spyder. Surely you should be able to fit another bike. I have a V nose so that gives me a little more room but I'm still thinking it can be done if you do not have a V-nose.

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I use an open landscape type trailer to haul my Spyder behind the motorhome. It works very well. The bike won't stay clean, but it won't stay clean if you're riding it, either. I like the fact that my trailer is aluminum, very light and can be moved around readily by hand. We have a full mudflap on the back of the motorhome which keeps debris away from the bike.
    I think that's going to have to be our option, whether it's wood or aluminum, but aluminum sounds better yet. I think I'll start looking........thank you!

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I have the same trailer as you (7x14) I know I could put a Spyder and a two wheeler in mine if mine was empty. Have you tried it the other way ??? Pull the HD in first and put that offset and then back the Spyder in like I do. I have plenty of room behind my Spyder even with all the stuff I have in my trailer.

The HD will be alot easier to off set and angle than the Spyder would be. You might have to relocate your tie down pionts in the trailer but IMO, a 7x14 should be plenty big enough. I have a fridge, Microwave, tall stand up cabinet and full sink with countertop behind my Spyder not counting a full queen bed next to the Spyder. Surely you should be able to fit another bike. I have a V nose so that gives me a little more room but I'm still thinking it can be done if you do not have a V-nose.

We thought of that too but, with the HD up to the tire of the Spyder and it's to long for the trailer....hangs out the back. If we had a small/shorter bike it would work, but not with the Ultra. Thanks for the suggestion anyway....it is appreciated! (By the way...I like your set up)

arntufun

We thought of that too but, with the HD up to the tire of the Spyder and it's to long for the trailer....hangs out the back. If we had a small/shorter bike it would work, but not with the Ultra. Thanks for the suggestion anyway....it is appreciated! (By the way...I like your set up)

Tell your Hubby he needs to trade that Ultra in for one of those little 883 Sportsters then you would not have no issues. Tell him those leak oil as well, so he will still feel like a true HD guy. Good luck to you.

Spyder Garage

[/QUOTE]

We know where Randy sleeps when he's a bad boy
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Trailering the Spyder

We're thinking about buying a trailer to haul my Spyder AND our HD Ultra, together. We have an enclosed 7x14 and yesterday and we tried fitting them both in but no go. We don't want to pack them in like sardines and chance damaging either bike. I really would like to keep the trailer we have for when we want to take just the HD or Spyder alone. Besides, we haven't had this one for to long so I don't want to lose my butt on selling it. What we were thinking of getting is a open flatbed trailer, or a lawnscaping trailer I guess they're called. The one we're looking at it 16x6.5 but we're not sure if that would be wide enough. If anyone has any ideas that would be great!! Pictures would be even better!
    I can't get my spyder to go on any trailer of any size. For some reason when it see's the opening it balks and the engine shuts off. I have to move the trailer out of shight before it will re start. Not sur why it happens but it does. When driving down the street, past a trailer sales outled it will not allow me to turn into the parking lot. Dam thing has a mind of its own.
    It has caused use some problems, like rideing in the rain or cold but try as I might I can not get it to go on a trailer.
    Is this common with all Spyders? I might ad my BMW and Gold Wing are the same way. They will not go on a trailer of any kind. sometime I wish they would...

Bob

Spyder Garage

I have an Iron Horse trailer. They make several sizes of flip top with ramp enclosed trailers that are light and designed for motorcycles. Their site has sizes and photos. goggle ironhorse trailers. I could not afford a new one but searched on the web until I found a used one near Atlanta. I needed the trailer for the rt and and antique scooter, 1961 Cushman Super Eagle, parts and supplies to last through a week of rally, show and swap meet. Put the scooter on display, then rode the blue ridge mountains during the 5 days of the rally in the north Ga. mts... Locked the scooter up at night in the trailer.
    Jerry

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by poorboy1942 View Post
    I can't get my spyder to go on any trailer of any size. For some reason when it see's the opening it balks and the engine shuts off. I have to move the trailer out of shight before it will re start. Not sur why it happens but it does. When driving down the street, past a trailer sales outled it will not allow me to turn into the parking lot. Dam thing has a mind of its own.
    It has caused use some problems, like rideing in the rain or cold but try as I might I can not get it to go on a trailer.
    Is this common with all Spyders? I might ad my BMW and Gold Wing are the same way. They will not go on a trailer of any kind. sometime I wish they would...

Bob

It might have to do with a mental condition called Tocoolforatrailersyndrome. It's a long name but in short it just means if your Spyder has this condition your Spyder might have been in contact with a HD rider .

If left untreated there is a possibity that more symtoms will arise like leather vests, apehangers and chain wallets. Side effects of this condition are frostbite, wet clothes, cold chills, hypothermia, dehydration and several saddle sores. Consult a doctor immediatly if these or other side effects arise like stopping for fuel every 100+ miles.
    Last edited by arntufun; 02-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell him those leak oil as well, so he will still feel like a true HD guy.
    You just can't get away from that; can you??

Spyder Garage

You just can't get away from that; can you??
    He can't help himself Bob. The funny thing is my Harley never leaked a drop of oil, but my Spyder did. Bad Spyder.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it's a made in America Vee-Twin!

Spyder Garage

Default oil leaks

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    He can't help himself Bob. The funny thing is my Harley never leaked a drop of oil, but my Spyder did. Bad Spyder.
    I put 75K on my Harley before trading it in for a GW. The Harley never left a drop of oil. Not like the old days. I will tell you they don't give you much for a Harley with 75K. Harley are for looking at, not riding.Bob

chickridin

Tell your Hubby he needs to trade that Ultra in for one of those little 883 Sportsters then you would not have no issues. Tell him those leak oil as well, so he will still feel like a true HD guy. Good luck to you.

I like guys that make funny's! And I'll have you know....not one of our HD's has ever had an oil leak. Now that I've said that.....

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by poorboy1942 View Post

Bob
    So you have a Spyder with an attitude.

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeb View Post
    I have an Iron Horse trailer. They make several sizes of flip top with ramp enclosed trailers that are light and designed for motorcycles. Their site has sizes and photos. goggle ironhorse trailers. I could not afford a new one but searched on the web until I found a used one near Atlanta. I needed the trailer for the rt and and antique scooter, 1961 Cushman Super Eagle, parts and supplies to last through a week of rally, show and swap meet. Put the scooter on display, then rode the blue ridge mountains during the 5 days of the rally in the north Ga. mts... Locked the scooter up at night in the trailer.
    Jerry
    I just checked them out. Those are some nice trailers. The longest they come is 16ft so that's not an option either, but thanks for the idea.

Spyder Garage

I have no real idea on this, trust the good guys on here to set us right.
    Has anyone tried using a snowmoblie trailer to hual spyders or Spyder/two wheeler ? Might work for space, but not weight. I kind of looked at them to haul my Spyder, but quit when I discovered the "Drop Tail'.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I have no real idea on this, trust the good guys on here to set us right.
    Has anyone tried using a snowmoblie trailer to hual spyders or Spyder/two wheeler ? Might work for space, but not weight. I kind of looked at them to haul my Spyder, but quit when I discovered the "Drop Tail'.
    Oldmanzues

I have hauled mine on a snowmobile trailer and it worked great. It was an enclosed clam shell one and I was able to drive it on. The wieght is not a issue for the trailer but a high winshield is. If you back it in it might work but make sure you try it first before you buy.

Downfall is the fast motion when the bed tips back down. When it goes, it goes and you better be ready.