Spyder Garage

Exclamation HELP PLZ!!! Exhaust issue

I have an '09 GS. A few months ago, I took it in for the 9k service. When I got it back, it seemed I could hear what could be a minor exhaust leak. I didn't make too much of it because the shop just had it. Well, it seemed to get worse and the mc seemed to lose a little power (I generally ride it everyday to work (45miles each way), plus shopping, etc.). It finally got loud enough that I decided to park it until I could track down the leak. Well, I found a pretty good leak on the right side at the exhaust connector. It looks like there is a small amount of heavy gauge steel wool inside the ring of the connector (I'm guessing to allow it to be tightened further). The leak itself (which I would describe as pretty severe) is where the ends of the sleeve meet. I'm no mechanic, but as far as I know, there should be no leaks anywhere along the path from the engine to the muffler. I tried tightening it down as much as possible, but it still leaks. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help, because I'm stuck with the cage until I resolve this. Thanks!! BTW, the leak is aimed right at the engine housing.
    I don't consider myself a Spyder Ryder, I consider myself a Spyder Pylot!!

arntufun

It sounds like your exhaust gasket is shot. No big deal and a easy fix.

Click link under my signature to take you to a thread that will show you how to change them. Get the Honda gaskets as explained in my videos.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Weave2u View Post
    I have an '09 GS. A few months ago, I took it in for the 9k service. When I got it back, it seemed I could hear what could be a minor exhaust leak. I didn't make too much of it because the shop just had it. Well, it seemed to get worse and the mc seemed to lose a little power (I generally ride it everyday to work (45miles each way), plus shopping, etc.). It finally got loud enough that I decided to park it until I could track down the leak. Well, I found a pretty good leak on the right side at the exhaust connector. It looks like there is a small amount of heavy gauge steel wool inside the ring of the connector (I'm guessing to allow it to be tightened further). The leak itself (which I would describe as pretty severe) is where the ends of the sleeve meet. I'm no mechanic, but as far as I know, there should be no leaks anywhere along the path from the engine to the muffler. I tried tightening it down as much as possible, but it still leaks. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help, because I'm stuck with the cage until I resolve this. Thanks!! BTW, the leak is aimed right at the engine housing.
    Very common. It is surprising that your shop did not catch this. Replace the gasket and you'll be good to go.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, Honda gasket's You need two, # 18392-mam-000.

Spyder Garage

Sweeet Brother!! Perfect, I'll start looking for the gaskets and get it taken care of...appreciate your videos, they are very helpful!! Thanks again!!

arntufun

Just remember to burn them in properly. After install run your spyder up to opperating temp and at least 15 minutes. You will smell it burning. Yukky odor.

Then shut it off and let it cool. Then tighten your 10 mm bolts some more.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks so much Arntufun!! After I removed the exhaust, I found that sure enough, the right gasket was completely non-existent. The left one appeared ok, but I'm going to replace it anyway while I have it off. My issue now is tracking down the parts... where I live, that means a lot of driving around! Oh well... Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much Arntufun!! After I removed the exhaust, I found that sure enough, the right gasket was completely non-existent. The left one appeared ok, but I'm going to replace it anyway while I have it off. My issue now is tracking down the parts... where I live, that means a lot of driving around! Oh well... Thanks again
    Get them on line, hete you go for one source:
    http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...ssemblies/7329
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

arntufun

Trust me any Honda dealer will have them within a couple of days, just call any local dealer or get them where camperfella suggested !!! Cough cough BRP take note cough cough

I'm glad you are able to do this yourself. Make sure you bend the tabs out slightly to make it easier to reinstall them. Putting the pipe back on is a little tight, but use a floor jack under the pipe. This will force them on without much effort from you. Let us know when your all set.
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-31-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a half dozen sets if you can't get them quickly just let me know

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Firefly, I figure if the local guy doesn't have them, then I'll just order them from the Honda MC dealer, but he's about an hour from my house, but I'll have to wait for until next week to install them in that case. I'll get a few sets, now that I know the deally... thanks so much!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have ordered a RTS but have not received a serial number or ship date yet. My son works at a Honda dealership a couple of hours from here. He got me two pair of gaskets, haven't picked them up yet. I will be prepared.

Why two pair? Just in case.

Spyder Garage

Good idea Lorne! I just went to the Honda dealer...over an hour away from me...and ordered two sets. Now, my Spyder sits, naked, with parts all over my garage, awaiting the necessary RX!!! I miss my Spyder... I need ice cold air streaming over my knees and landing on my crotch!!! I can't wait to get it up and running again!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HONDA GASKETS

FROM WHAT I HEAR , THE HONDA GASKETS LAST SO LONG YOU MIGHT HAVE THOSE SPARES FOREVER GATHERING DUST.......MIKE...

arntufun

Good idea Lorne! I just went to the Honda dealer...over an hour away from me...and ordered two sets. Now, my Spyder sits, naked, with parts all over my garage, awaiting the necessary RX!!! I miss my Spyder... I need ice cold air streaming over my knees and landing on my crotch!!! I can't wait to get it up and running again!!

You did know that a telephone has the power to connect people in two different places right ???

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;412959]FROM WHAT I HEAR , THE HONDA GASKETS LAST SO LONG YOU MIGHT HAVE THOSE SPARES FOREVER GATHERING DUST.......MIKE...
    /QUOTE]

I put them on at 6k, They were still good at 19k,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    FROM WHAT I HEAR , THE HONDA GASKETS LAST SO LONG YOU MIGHT HAVE THOSE SPARES FOREVER GATHERING DUST.......MIKE...
    You are probably right, at least I hope you are. But if I screw up installing one or both of them, I will not have to drive three hours round-trip to get a replacement.

There are two other Spyders in town here, so I am not worried about getting rid of any extras.