Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Shuttering / Hesitation During Acceleration

When my 2010 RT SE5 engine is fully warmed up it will sometimes start to shutter and hesitate during acceleration (under load). It doesn't do this all the time. I can start it cold at the house and it will run fine for the first 20 or 30 miles. Once I reach a cruising speed of 45 or 50 it will maintain speed fine but if I apply throttle it will start the shuttering again (will gain speed but struggles). Then all of a sudden it will smooth out and cruise fine. If I stop it will always idle fine and revs smoothly. Then if I turn it off for a quick 5 minute stop and start off again it starts the shuttering during acceleration. The engine seems to start fine even when hot. This doesn't happen 100% of the time but has been getting progressively worse over the past 2 or 3 thousand miles (10K miles on bike) and I don't want it to leave me stranded.

Dealer did the the first 600 mile service and I have done the rest at the normal 3,000 mile interval service other than pulling the front spark plug. I haven't gotten any fault codes during any of this.

Could this be a bad plug wire or spark plug, or even a dirty fuel filter? I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the TB as it has never shut off on me and starts relatively easy for a 2010.

I'm thinking of replacing the plug wires (Bajaron), spark plugs, and fuel filter myself before taking it to a dealer (especially since I'm not getting any fault codes).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 1551retired; 01-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Yes you are most than likely right, had the same thing, no one could figure it out, replaced Y gaskets - no change, replaced plugs with wires - solved. Plugs were fine btw. OEM wires are like that, develop losing conection when warmed up, basically worn out.
    Let us know anyway, when you solve this issue.

Spyder Garage

Fuel filter? With only 10K on it unlikely tho

Spyder Garage

Yes, it could be a plug wire. It could also be a bad ECM, an emissions valve leak, or some other problem. These things need to be diagnosed in person by a top-notch tech, one who can do both computer diagnostics and plain, old-fashioned mechanical troubleshooting.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default shudder

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    When my 2010 RT SE5 engine is fully warmed up it will sometimes start to shutter and hesitate during acceleration (under load). It doesn't do this all the time. I can start it cold at the house and it will run fine for the first 20 or 30 miles. Once I reach a cruising speed of 45 or 50 it will maintain speed fine but if I apply throttle it will start the shuttering again (will gain speed but struggles). Then all of a sudden it will smooth out and cruise fine. If I stop it will always idle fine and revs smoothly. Then if I turn it off for a quick 5 minute stop and start off again it starts the shuttering during acceleration. The engine seems to start fine even when hot. This doesn't happen 100% of the time but has been getting progressively worse over the past 2 or 3 thousand miles (10K miles on bike) and I don't want it to leave me stranded.

Dealer did the the first 600 mile service and I have done the rest at the normal 3,000 mile interval service other than pulling the front spark plug. I haven't gotten any fault codes during any of this.

Could this be a bad plug wire or spark plug, or even a dirty fuel filter? I'm hoping it's nothing to do with the TB as it has never shut off on me and starts relatively easy for a 2010.

I'm thinking of replacing the plug wires (Bajaron), spark plugs, and fuel filter myself before taking it to a dealer (especially since I'm not getting any fault codes).

Mine done the same thing they ended up replacing the compleate engine and all is fine, but since hearing about the plug lead problems I wonder if they could be the problem , ask your dealer to cheak them or better still insist that they look at them. It could end up being a quick fix
    kew metal air cleaner, juice box pro, fan regulator, 02 elimiator,afr gauge, oil presure gauge, bar riser , ikon f & r shocks,sway bar.custom drilled rims with 205/40/16 new engine at 10000 km's, larger frount brake rotors,Yoshi R3 ss exhaust, custom candy orange with air brushed spiders
    now removed kew air cleaner, o2 elimiator, custom wheels and yoshi. runs better with out you live and learn they say, and if its not broken don't replace it"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes, it could be a plug wire. It could also be a bad ECM, an emissions valve leak, or some other problem. These things need to be diagnosed in person by a top-notch tech, one who can do both computer diagnostics and plain, old-fashioned mechanical troubleshooting.
    Thanks for the advise. Wouldn't a bad ECM throw a code? Do you think a plug wire or any of the other items you mention would be covered under the two year warranty? I'm in FL for the winter and my regular dealer is back north in VA. I'm thinking about taking it into the Naples, FL dealer when they open Tuesday.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advise. Wouldn't a bad ECM throw a code? Do you think a plug wire or any of the other items you mention would be covered under the two year warranty? I'm in FL for the winter and my regular dealer is back north in VA. I'm thinking about taking it into the Naples, FL dealer when they open Tuesday.
    Bad ECM won't necessarily throw a code. The one on my 2010 didn't. The typical approach is to replace the plugs and wires, and if that doesn't work, replace the coil and/or ECM...with BRP's guidance and permission. Plug wires should be covered under the mandatory 5-year emissions warranty, but you may have to educate your dealer. There can be other causes that I didn't mention, many not showing on a diagnostic and requiring mechanical testing to identify. It can be a challenge even to a good technician. I hope yours is a simple problem...but a dealer really needs to look at it. If you can bring it in when it is acting up, so much the better. By morning when the tech sees them, they often seem to heal themselves.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem and it was a Spark plug wire, And it was covered by the emissions warranty, But if i remember correctly the warranty is 3 years or 30 thousand miles, whichever comes first. I had to pay for the wire myself to expedite things, Then i sent the dealer a copy of the warranty and got my money back .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hesitation

I had the same trouble but after running my tank of gas down to almost empty and put a full tank back in and top speed 40 mph and max rpm 3,000 made it back home and I put water desolve and it took care of my problem. So I use it during the cold weather every 5 tanks. Also use a fuel additive booster to help things.

Spyder Garage

I've heard of some evap can valves getting stuck wide open and that could cause some of these issues too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've heard of some evap can valves getting stuck wide open and that could cause some of these issues too.
    Thanks for that information. My problem doesn't happen all the time. I can ride 30 miles or more before it starts acting up. Took it to a dealer in Naples, FL yesterday so hopefully they will be able to recreate the problem and find a solution.

Spyder Garage

Default Update...

Update. Took the bike to the dealer this week and the tech couldn't duplicate problem with a 2 mile ride Yesterday I went to dealership and drove the for about 40 miles before it started acting up. Got the tech to ride it and experience the shuttering problem. Tech said he was going to put it on the computer and call BRP. Fingers crossed they will find and fix the problem(s).

Spyder Garage

Update. Took the bike to the dealer this week and the tech couldn't duplicate problem with a 2 mile ride Yesterday I went to dealership and drove the for about 40 miles before it started acting up. Got the tech to ride it and experience the shuttering problem. Tech said he was going to put it on the computer and call BRP. Fingers crossed they will find and fix the problem(s).
    If it is a bad purge valve or engine valves that are too tight, it will not show on the computer. Same for certain ignition problems. Some old-fashioned testing will probably be in order.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't you just hate it when the techs refuse to actually do any thinking for themselves??
    "No codes; then there's no problem!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Went by the dealer on Saturday to check on their progress. The tech seems to think it's the fuel pump or somewhere in the fuel delivery system. They are closed on Monday but will call BRP tomorrow to talk withsupport and hopefully order parts. Has anyone else seen the fuel deliverysystem cause this type of problem?

Spyder Garage

A friend has her 2010 in the shop for the very same issue and the tech finally discovered that there was water in the fuel system.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Got a call from the dealer yesterday saying they thought they had fixed the problem(s). Picked it up this AM and took it for a 60 mile ride. It starting doing the same thing after about 50 miles into the ryde so took it back to the dealer where I left it again. They immediately put it on the computer while it was hot and acting up but don't know if they found any new codes.

The repair order I received this AM before taking it for a ride showed the following work done:

Parts
    2 - Spark Plug DCPR9E

Labor
    Tighten Battery Terminals .3 hr
    Air Temperture Sensor .3 hr
    T P Sensor 1.1 hr
    Air Pressure Sensor .4 hr
    Diag .5 hr

Resolution
    Checked Fault Code.
    P0175 Active - System Too Rich,
    P0136/P1175/U0101/C1290/P0500 - Occured.
    Checked Air Temp Sensor/ Map Sensor/TPO Sensor/ Injector, - OK
    Changed Plug. Checked Wire Connections, Tighten Battery, Tighten Air Pressure Tube.

Spyder Garage

Got a call from the dealer yesterday saying they thought they had fixed the problem(s). Picked it up this AM and took it for a 60 mile ride. It starting doing the same thing after about 50 miles into the ryde so took it back to the dealer where I left it again. They immediately put it on the computer while it was hot and acting up but don't know if they found any new codes.

The repair order I received this AM before taking it for a ride showed the following work done:

Parts
    2 - Spark Plug DCPR9E

Labor
    Tighten Battery Terminals .3 hr
    Air Temperture Sensor .3 hr
    T P Sensor 1.1 hr
    Air Pressure Sensor .4 hr
    Diag .5 hr

Resolution
    Checked Fault Code.
    P0175 Active - System Too Rich,
    P0136/P1175/U0101/C1290/P0500 - Occured.
    Checked Air Temp Sensor/ Map Sensor/TPO Sensor/ Injector, - OK
    Changed Plug. Checked Wire Connections, Tighten Battery, Tighten Air Pressure Tube.

Just a thought, I had this prob. once. The crank censor was shorting after it got hot and droping one plug about ever other heart beat. BRP had them to oum the crank censor out cold and then when at full operating timp. and it was bad. replaced and all is good.

Spyder Garage

Default Intake Valve Clearance Check?

Called the dealer to get a status this afternoon. BRP has advised the tech to check the intake valve clearances. The tech will not be able to complete the valve check until early next week.

The bike seems run fine for the first 30 or 40 miles before the problem occurs. The hesitation/shuttering only occurs when opening up the throttle and accelerating at about 3500 rpm in 2, 3, 4, or 5th gear. It idles fine after getting hot and seems to run ok at a constant/steady speed. Is it possible that an intake valve clearance problem would cause the problem I'm experiencing?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=1551retired;415838]
    The hesitation/shuttering only occurs when opening up the throttle and accelerating at about 3500 rpm in 2, 3, 4, or 5th gear.

Are you shiffing at 3500rpms,??
    Or does it at shutter as you reach 3500 and then when you accelerate''past'' 3500 it runs fine.??

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=boborgera;415845]
    The hesitation/shuttering only occurs when opening up the throttle and accelerating at about 3500 rpm in 2, 3, 4, or 5th gear.

Are you shiffing at 3500rpms,??
    Or does it at shutter as you reach 3500 and then when you accelerate''past'' 3500 it runs fine.??
    I shift around 4500 rpm or above. Shuttering and loss of power happens when accelerating 3500 and above .

Spyder Garage

Called the dealer to get a status this afternoon. BRP has advised the tech to check the intake valve clearances. The tech will not be able to complete the valve check until early next week.

The bike seems run fine for the first 30 or 40 miles before the problem occurs. The hesitation/shuttering only occurs when opening up the throttle and accelerating at about 3500 rpm in 2, 3, 4, or 5th gear. It idles fine after getting hot and seems to run ok at a constant/steady speed. Is it possible that an intake valve clearance problem would cause the problem I'm experiencing?
    Yes, inadequate valve clearance could cause such a problem when the engine gets good and hot.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes, inadequate valve clearance could cause such a problem when the engine gets good and hot.
    Thanks for that information! That makes me more confident the tech is on the right track. So assuming it is a valve clearance problem do you think an adjustment would fix the problem? I would hope the intake valve wouldn't be burned with only 8,000 miles and would need replacing.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that information! That makes me more confident the tech is on the right track. So assuming it is a valve clearance problem do you think an adjustment would fix the problem? I would hope the intake valve wouldn't be burned with only 8,000 miles and would need replacing.
    Intake valves are less likely to burn than exhaust valves. Adjustment should cure it, provided the valve isn't bent and moves freely, and that there is no carbon buildup on the valve seats. I'm sure they make it right for you, even if it becomes more involved.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Not a Intake Valve Problem

Tech checked the intake valve clearances per BRP recommendation and found no problem. After several discussions with BRP the tech convinced them to change out ignition coils and wiring. Parts are on order and will hopefully be in Tuesday. has been at dealer for over two weeks now. Sure hope this takes care the problem.