Spyder Garage

Default Does anyone have a 2012 spyder yet.. and if so.. how do you like it?

Just wondering if anyone has a 2012 spyder (w/the new shock setup) and how do you like it.
    I'd especially like to hear from those people who had the old model and how it compares to the new model.

Spring is coming up soon so I have to start thinking about a new ride (and start planting the seed again to the wife that I need to get riding again)

-Motavar

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT Limited that I have ridden 450 miles in 5 days of breaking it in.. I love it.!!.. I had a 2010 RTS before that I rode 21000 miles in 18 months.. I really didn't think the ride was bad on that one, but my new ryde has much better handling and a much smoother ride... Also the visibility on the computer screen at night is greatly improved - probably not a big deal to you, but important to an older feller like me
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Glad to see you getting the ryding itch again.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Glad to see you getting the ryding itch again.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    i'll second that.

Rode my red 2009 RS Spyder for 36k+ before trading it in about 2 weeks ago for a 2012 RS. Same shocks on that model but big difference in handling. Had no idea what I'd just gotten used to on the '09.

This one appears to want to forego the break-in period altogether. It rolls right up to 60mph and the entire machine get very smooth above that. note to self...resist that temptation to go full throttle.

A few other subtle changes I noticed. Back part of the frame has a new metal bracket. They redesigned the yoke on the steering column (last year?) so my Nelson Rigg tank bag won't work without that added strap. Console has an amber ring around the outside of each dial. It also came with a mini spring under the latch to aid with opening the frunk, which I may replace with the long one from ACE hardware (#158?). My only complains are the dealer (once again) under inflated the tires and put about 6 oz. too much oil in it. Both I solved immediately. It had less than a mile on it when I drove it off the lot.

So far I'm pleased. I fully expect to put just a ton of miles on this one before long.

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a 2012 Rt Limited in White, I have always ridden on two wheels, the Spyder is just Awesome! The stock suspension and seat are the best stock set up that I have ever experienced. The handling is excellent and the Roadster is more comfortable than my Goldwing. I can't think about two wheels after riding the Roadster.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT Ltd that I have ridden just over 500 miles. It does not feel nearly as stable as my former 2010 RT, but that one had the Evo Swaybar & 2011 shocks. My 2012 needs some help to get back to a steady flat ride on the curvy TN roads. I will likely soon install both Elka shocks and maybe an Evo Swaybar.

I also had to cope with my dealer under inflated the tires and put about 6 oz. too much oil in it. Both I solved immediately.

I have noticed a lot of minor improvments on the 2012 that all add up to an improved RT. Sure do wish they had fixed the turn signal return-cancel when doing lane changes... it is as bad as ever so I have again installed LEDs on the dash to alert me that the signals are still going or wrong.
    Last edited by cjackg; 01-26-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

traded my 08 rs in on 2012 rt sm7 a/c. added elkas, green filter, cold air intake, ride is much better, smoother, more stable. had it less than 3 weeks and have 1400 miles on it so far.

arntufun

Motavar, you might have to tell these fine folks that you are not RT material and was talking about the RS-S with the new Fox shocks.
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

He is RT material now you know you want one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motavar View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a 2012 spyder (w/the new shock setup) and how do you like it.
    I'd especially like to hear from those people who had the old model and how it compares to the new model.

Spring is coming up soon so I have to start thinking about a new ride (and start planting the seed again to the wife that I need to get riding again)

-Motavar
    I got to ride one for about half a day. I liked it, much better than the stock shocks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You guy's that are riding are killing me. I can't get the miles for my 600 mile check up. It's freezing cold or if it is warm enough to ride it is pouring rain out there.