Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ROSTRA Cruise Control Wiring Questions

Hi there,

I'm installing a Rostra electronic cruise control on my wife's 09 SE5 (no clutch) and I'm ready to hook up the wires. I was hoping I could get some assistance from someone that has recently installed this unit.

My Rostra servo has three additional wires that are not included in the diagram that is shown on this website.

I attached the diagram for convenience.

Specifically, I'm talking about an orange, light green and gray wire. According the the manual, the orange is for the ENO function (enable output). The green wire is for the Neutral Safety Switch. Both these wires are trimmed back and covered with electrical tape. The gray wire is for the VSS unless a magnet and coil is used, which I have. The manual states to trim the gray wire back to avoid stray signals. So, I assume that I won't be using the orange, light green and gray wire, correct ?

Per the website diagram the servo blue wire goes to the coil. I have a brown/orange and a brown/black wire going to the coil. Which one do I use. And just to be clear, I still need to run a wire to the coil even though I am hooking up the magnet and coil speed sensor, correct ?

The servo 4 pin connector that goes to the control pad has a green, yellow, red and a red/brown wire. The control pad wiring is black, gray, green, yellow, red and brown. I assume the the servo red/brown wire goes to the control pad brown wire, correct ?

The manual states that the servo red wire should go the "hot" side of the brake switch and the violet (purple)wire should go to the "cold" side of the brake switch. Does this really need to be hooked up like this ? The website diagram shows the red wire going to a 12 volt source and the purple wire going to the brake wire. Where did you hook up these wires ?

The other servo red wire and control pad gray wire goes to a switched 12 volt source. Where did you hook these up ?

Okay last question; where did you chose to ground your ground wires ?

Sorry about the question overload !

Thanks in advance,

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    09 Yellow/Black GS SE5

Spyder Garage

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by twoseas View Post
    Hi there,

I'm installing a Rostra electronic cruise control on my wife's 09 SE5 (no clutch) and I'm ready to hook up the wires. I was hoping I could get some assistance from someone that has recently installed this unit.

My Rostra servo has three additional wires that are not included in the diagram that is shown on this website.

Specifically, I'm talking about an orange, light green and gray wire. According the the manual, the orange is for the ENO function (enable output). The green wire is for the Neutral Safety Switch. Both these wires are trimmed back and covered with electrical tape. The gray wire is for the VSS unless a magnet and coil is used, which I have. The manual states to trim the gray wire back to avoid stray signals. So, I assume that I won't be using the orange, light green and gray wire, correct ?
    you would have to rig a special switch for the green wire .I run without trim them back and tape off.
    Per the website diagram the servo blue wire goes to the coil. I have a brown/orange and a brown/black wire going to the coil. Which one do I use. And just to be clear, I still need to run a wire to the coil even though I am hooking up the magnet and coil speed sensor, correct ? hook it to either coil wire and yes you need to do it

The servo 4 pin connector that goes to the control pad has a green, yellow, red and a red/brown wire. The control pad wiring is black, gray, green, yellow, red and brown. I assume the the servo red/brown wire goes to the control pad brown wire, correct ? I think so yes

The manual states that the servo red wire should go the "hot" side of the brake switch and the violet (purple)wire should go to the "cold" side of the brake switch. Does this really need to be hooked up like this ? The website diagram shows the red wire going to a 12 volt source and the purple wire going to the brake wire. Where did you hook up these wires ?hook red wire to a 12 volt source fused . if you don't have an after market tail lites or a tail light flasher like the all in one you may need to hook up a relay to the brake wire and the purple wire to it. some had to some didn't. it can set off the nanny. Lamonster has the wire hook up on here from when he did it.

The other servo red wire and control pad gray wire goes to a switched 12 volt source. Where did you hook these up ? a switched 12 volt source if you don't have an auxillary fuse box you should get one if your goin to do any more mods.

any good chasis ground
    sorry I didn't get back to you been busy(snowplowing)
    Thanks in advance,

Ray

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    Hope this helps
    Thanks for your response.

Ray
    09 Yellow/Black GS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twoseas View Post
    Hi there,

Per the website diagram the servo blue wire goes to the coil. I have a brown/orange and a brown/black wire going to the coil. Which one do I use. And just to be clear, I still need to run a wire to the coil even though I am hooking up the magnet and coil speed sensor, correct ?

The servo 4 pin connector that goes to the control pad has a green, yellow, red and a red/brown wire. The control pad wiring is black, gray, green, yellow, red and brown. I assume the the servo red/brown wire goes to the control pad brown wire, correct ?

The manual states that the servo red wire should go the "hot" side of the brake switch and the violet (purple)wire should go to the "cold" side of the brake switch. Does this really need to be hooked up like this ? The website diagram shows the red wire going to a 12 volt source and the purple wire going to the brake wire. Where did you hook up these wires ?

The other servo red wire and control pad gray wire goes to a switched 12 volt source. Where did you hook these up ?

Thanks in advance,

Ray
    I was going to hook up the purple wire that goes to the brake light but I don't have an green/yellow nor green/red wire per the wiring diagram shown on this website. I have a black, white and orange going to each tail/brake light combo. I placed a test light on each wire, the orange is hot and white wire lights up when brake pedal is pressed. I assume I can tap into this one, correct ?

Also, as a matter of convenience I could tap into the brake switch as well, correct ?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

09 Yellow/Black GS SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control

I used a relay with the coil connected to the brake light circuit to isolate the cruise control from the CANBUS. Other had fault codes when they connected direct to the brake circuit.