Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRP not talking

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP not talking

love my RT, but it has several issues and qualifies for the lemon law in our state (WA) I have tried to get threw my dealer and he gave me the number in Canada..they tell me to call our area rep..just keep going around and around..getting seriously unhappy about this and dont want to have to hire a lawyer. Any thoughts from anyone who has had problems?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hm

I am very sorry for your trouble Bro.
    I don't want to be negative but no company will take you seriously without Lawyer when it comes to Lemon Law I am afraid , unless BRP is an exception. No need to go into details here.
    I may advice you to PM Lamont and ask for advice.

Spyder Garage

Default No Excuse

I would suggest you call BRP and talk to Carlos, he is a great to work with and should be able to help you.
    I hope your dealer is not Rattlesnake Mountain/RideNow Tri Cities, of the five dealers across the country I have dealt with, they are the only one I have had a problem with.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Spyder View Post
    I would suggest you call BRP and talk to Carlos, he is a great to work with and should be able to help you.
    I hope your dealer is not Rattlesnake Mountain/RideNow Tri Cities, of the five dealers across the country I have dealt with, they are the only one I have had a problem with.

Nope, I have only dealt with Lifestyles in Mt Vernon. They have been great, kept me updated on all the parts and when they would be in, if I have any questions that have been very knowledgeable. I love my bike, and I think it is just this specific bike that is having issues. You have this Carlos's number?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wildradrider View Post
    love my RT, but it has several issues and qualifies for the lemon law in our state (WA) I have tried to get threw my dealer and he gave me the number in Canada..they tell me to call our area rep..just keep going around and around..getting seriously unhappy about this and dont want to have to hire a lawyer. Any thoughts from anyone who has had problems?
    What are some of the issues? Many of us have had issues, but have learned from them and maybe can point you in the right direction.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Carlo is the man. He is a man of integrity and will treat you professionally and with respect.
    (888) 864-2002 and/or (819) 566-3035
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEMON LAW

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD START WITH CARLOS,....IF NOT SATISFIED BEFORE HIRING AN ATTORNEY I WOULD CONTACT YOUR ATTORNEY GENERAL OR STATE ATTORNEY THEY ARE YOUR LAWYER IN CASES LIKE THIS....YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID THEIR SALARY ....USE THEM.....MIKE...

Spyder Garage

Carlo is the go to man from BRP and he has helped many owners get their problems solved.

Please tell us about some of the issues you are having--maybe there are some quick and easy answers.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Carlo is the go to man from BRP and he has helped many owners get their problems solved.

Please tell us about some of the issues you are having--maybe there are some quick and easy answers.

ok, some of the issues:

1. The front trunk kept popping open while traveling down the road, was in the shop 5 times before it was finally fixed
    2. The manifold cracked at the head, this happened to a few bikes. All the inner panels were burnt, but not replaced per BRP, the belt was not thought to be damaged either. It spent over 4 weeks in the shop waiting for new muffler to be sent from Canada.
    3. Temp gauge seized, overheating the bike yet again. Another week in the shop
    4. The tack froze up, the whole gauge was replaced and now the bike started back at zero miles even tho it is actually at 11k, which was not documented, thus if I sold it I would not have to state that there was 11k more miles on it then is says
    5. 5 recalls.
    Items 1 and 2 qualify the bike to go under the lemon law

All of these things were taken care of by BRP, my dealer has been great, but I am concerned that with all this happening in the last 18 months, what is going to happen once the warranty is up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Law

ok, some of the issues:

1. The front trunk kept popping open while traveling down the road, was in the shop 5 times before it was finally fixed
    2. The manifold cracked at the head, this happened to a few bikes. All the inner panels were burnt, but not replaced per BRP, the belt was not thought to be damaged either. It spent over 4 weeks in the shop waiting for new muffler to be sent from Canada.
    4. The tack froze up, the whole gauge was replaced and now the bike started back at zero miles even tho it is actually at 11k, which was not documented, thus if I sold it I would not have to state that there was 11k more miles on it then is says
    5. 5 recalls.

All of these things were taken care of by BRP, my dealer has been great, but I am concerned that with all this happening in the last 18 months, what is going to happen once the warranty is up?
    So no issues left ?
    All taken care of by BRP?
    Bike in the shop less than 2 months out of 18?
    No computer problems, glitches, ghosts...... ?
    All parts damaged or malfunctioning were replaced not repaired.

Doesn't look like you are going to be happy with anything you'll be told by any of involved parties and as I understand you want BRP to replace your 2010 RT by 2012 RT ?

Now I have my opinion but that is not what you are looking for I guess so my advice is to go and see a Lawyer.
    Most of the times we tend to think that what we think is right or we expect is right but it is actually not by Law.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    So no issues left ?

Doesn't look like you are going to be happy with anything you'll be told by any of involved parties and as I understand you want BRP to replace your 2010 RT by 2012 RT ?
    Try and look at it this way... They've fixed everything so far so maybe all the glitches are now out of the bike???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law

You had better get the best lawyer in the state on these issues. I personally don't think you have a chance in hell of anything from the Lemon Law. Those are items that were fixed. Sure I'd be mad as hell, but from a practical standpoint, you may end up spending a ton of money and getting ZERO. I'd be pretty bitter and unhappy about those delays, but eventually they were solved and you're good to go.
    Check with Carlo and good luck on whatever course you finally decide to take.

Tuck

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

ok, some of the issues:

5. 5 recalls.

Wow. Sorry you have had these issues. But if I am
    Being honest I don't see the lemon law coming into play. A lawyer may see differently of course.

Item one seems pretty simple. Out of adjustment or a bad latch. Was a hassle yes, but fixed.

Item two is not uncommon. You say the inner panels were "burnt" (smoked?). If burnt is there any damage to exterior paint? If no paint damage and the exhaust has been fixed, again a hassle and you had to wait too long for the part, but it sounds like they took care of it. And I wouldn't expect new panels if no paint damage.

Item three I am not sure I understand. Did the gauge stick on a high heat setting or did the bike actually overheat? If a bad gauge only, and the bike didn't overheat (no engine damage) then again it has been fixed.

Item four, the cluster has happened to a few. Everyone I have seen replaced came up with zero miles. Not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, your true mileage isn't shown but I don't think that is causing you a problem. I do think it is one more "item" that has you frustrated, and understandably so, but doesn't rise to Lemmon level IMO.

Item five, recalls. Many vehicles are subject to recalls, if they have been identified and fixed,,,?

I know it is frustrating for you and you have had more problems than me. But there are a few folks who have had MAJOR problems with their spyder, seeing it sit in the shop for several months at a time. These are few and far between.

If you want honest opinions, I just don't see a lemon law here. An understandably frustrated owner? Yes, and I hate that for you. But the problems really have not gone unresolved. So if these issues have been fixed, why spend valuable riding time worrying about what " might" happen in the future?

Just ride and try to find anew that joy in your spyder.

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear. Just an opinion based on what I read in your post.

I hope it all works out for you.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 01-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

There are specific procedures in each state, to qualify for replacement or reimbursement under that state's lemon laws. Although technically they do not require an attorney, it can be almost impossible to jump through all the hoops without one. The first step is generally to notify the dealer that the clock is ticking, and they are within the 30 day or 3 failure window for repairs. If that was not done, and you accepted the Spyder after repairs, you may not have a further grievance under the law. Your attorney can advise you. Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you seek out another dealer. This one sounds shaky.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

ok, some of the issues:

?
    Legally. If you sell or trade in your Spyder in, you will have to put on the new titel ;TMU'
    True Mileage Unknown

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    So no issues left ?

Now I have my opinion but that is not what you are looking for I guess so my advice is to go and see a Lawyer.
    Most of the times we tend to think that what we think is right or we expect is right but it is actually not by Law.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Just to offer an alternative perspective here, IMHO, two months in the shop for problem after problem is a LOT of downtime/shop time, and not replacing panels that got burnt would have been unacceptable to me too (the paint may look fine now, but may be flaking off wrecked or the panels may develop cracks once the trike is out of warranty) - if I were the OP, I'd be pissed too and my trust in the trike would be compromised.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There are specific procedures in each state, to qualify for replacement or reimbursement under that state's lemon laws. Although technically they do not require an attorney, it can be almost impossible to jump through all the hoops without one. The first step is generally to notify the dealer that the clock is ticking, and they are within the 30 day or 3 failure window for repairs. If that was not done, and you accepted the Spyder after repairs, you may not have a further grievance under the law. Your attorney can advise you. Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you seek out another dealer. This one sounds shaky.
    Just got threw dealing with the lemon law here in Mississippi on my wife 09 Toyota. Here in Mississippi the law goes into effect when they try and fix like my wifes car. Had a popping in the front end and they tried and fix it 3 times with no luck. Also I had made a case history with the Corp office. I did not have to deal with a lawyer. I sat down with the dealership and we came to a agreement. They treated me fair and left there with a 12 model Highlander. So read your state requirement.
    David

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Legally. If you sell or trade in your Spyder in, you will have to put on the new titel ;TMU'
    True Mileage Unknown

I do like the bike, and yes either replace it or give me a extended warranty because if something goes wrong again and I have to cover it I am SOL.
    and about the ZERO miles.. who would buy a bike with unknown miles? would you?

in the shop 2 months out of 18 is horrible! you seem to think that is fine? sorry but you are very wrong

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I do like the bike, and yes either replace it or give me a extended warranty because if something goes wrong again and I have to cover it I am SOL.
    and about the ZERO miles.. who would buy a bike with unknown miles? would you?

in the shop 2 months out of 18 is horrible! you seem to think that is fine? sorry but you are very wrong

I confuse easy, Who is this post intended for.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

basically to those who think that these issues are nothing, and that is the norm..that long in the shop, serious safety issues..and that is to be acceptable?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

basically to those who think that these issues are nothing, and that is the norm..that long in the shop, serious safety issues..and that is to be acceptable?
    Got you , Last year my Spyder was in the shop 45 days and 18 hundred dollars ++ [my dime] Last straw, So i just bit the bullet and bought a Tri Glide, Lost a lot of money but that's another story.
    I stay on Spyderlovers because i like the people on this forum and love the Comradeship.
    And if i can help anyone with any knowledge i might have picked up over the years i try to help out.
    Life is short, If your not happy with a particular Tirke Move on.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Speaking for myself here, but I do not think your issues are "nothing". You have had some problems for sure. Also, I am not saying it is acceptable.

All I am saying is that (it appears) your issues have been fixed and although it stinks that you had to wait that long for a part for the exhaust (which is where a great deal of the shop time appears to come from?) So since those issues have been fixed, I just don't see a lemon law case.

I am not an expert, but you asked for opinions? .
    I thought lemon law applied if you had a problem that couldn't be resolved. IF the current problems have been addressed and fixed, then I don't think you are going to win a lemon case based on your fears for the future.

You mentioned an extended warranty. Did you purchase the extended warranty? If not, why not? Should BRP now give you for free an extended warranty when others like myself have purchased one?

I understand that your RT is your "baby" and it is your money on the line, so I am not as emotionally invested in this as you are and I don't feel your frustration, which I DO think you should have. You are rightfully frustrated.

Look, if you truly are committed to pursuing a lemon case, then by all means pursue it. It sounds like you either have your mind made up or you just want some confirmation to proceed.

Good luck to you. I hope you get everything you want.
    But don't ask for opinions if you don't want them.

pitbull

IF YOU WERE CLOSER I'D SAY BRING IT BY AND WE WOULD GET TO THE BOTTOM OF ALL OF THIS......Sometimes its not ALL BRP's Fault......I've seen far more setup issues than i have factory flaws......for what its worth

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Speaking for myself here, but I do not think your issues are "nothing". You have had some problems for sure. Also, I am not saying it is acceptable.

All I am saying is that (it appears) your issues have been fixed and although it stinks that you had to wait that long for a part for the exhaust (which is where a great deal of the shop time appears to come from?) So since those issues have been fixed, I just don't see a lemon law case.

I am not an expert, but you asked for opinions? .
    I thought lemon law applied if you had a problem that couldn't be resolved. IF the current problems have been addressed and fixed, then I don't think you are going to win a lemon case based on your fears for the future.

You mentioned an extended warranty. Did you purchase the extended warranty? If not, why not? Should BRP now give you for free an extended warranty when others like myself have purchased one?

I understand that your RT is your "baby" and it is your money on the line, so I am not as emotionally invested in this as you are and I don't feel your frustration, which I DO think you should have. You are rightfully frustrated.

Look, if you truly are committed to pursuing a lemon case, then by all means pursue it. It sounds like you either have your mind made up or you just want some confirmation to proceed.

Good luck to you. I hope you get everything you want.
    But don't ask for opinions if you don't want them.

I think he was looking for opinions as to how to get satisfaction, rather than people arguing that one day in ten of ownership in the shop should be fine, suggestions that BRP shouldn't replace burnt panels if they aren't immediately/already flaking off paint on the outside or cracked, etc. Folks are quick to defend the OEM because they love their mounts and have had great experiences themselves, but it sounds like the OP's experience has been pretty problem laden, and for him to get retorts that his bike is fine and he should be happy is not the kind of advice he was seeking IMHO.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Speaking from personal experience from being in your shoes last year

I'm not a lawyer, but I did have one on retainer about this time last year, for very similar reasons that you have been dealing with yourself. Had our 2010 RT-S for all of 9 days before I almost ran a man over in a cross walk, cause the bykes SE5 decided it wanted to keep going instead of coming to a stop. Went into the shop for 45 days. Got it back, had it for roughly 2 weeks, then back into the shop for another 30 some days, all this in the first three months of ownership, are you serious??? Belive me, I know your frustration & also, the lack of faith you have in that particular unit, they could give you gold tupperware for it but you still wouldn't have faith in it, once thats busted, not sure you can ever get that peace of mind back.

I read over your states Lemon Law & you have every right to proceed forward to Arbitration. But sadly, from my uneducated understanding of your states Lemon Law, your case would probably be dismissed in Arbitration, but thats just my opinion (& experience) in dealing with BRP in cases such as yours.

BRP had just brought Carlo on the scene when my problems stated last year & he did everythin g he could at the time to satisfy me, but like you, I had lost all faith in my unit & wanted them to take it back. Unlike you tho, I didn't have the law on my side, cause I bought our first Spyder in WV & their Lemon Laws DO NOT INCLUDE MOTORCYCLES, which I read that in WA, as long as its above a 750CC, which your Spyder is, then its covered.

The number for Carlo was given to you in a previous post and I HIGHLY recommend that you get in touch with him concerning your issues. He's a good man and after working with him on my own Spyder issues & meeting him in person last year at Lamonts Bar-B-Q, I can't think of a better person to be our go to guy when it comes to dealing with BRP, he's truly empathetic to owners problems & have helped many of us out of a bad situation. I seriously doubt if BRP would allow him to make the call of buying your particular unit back, based on reading your issues & downtime, but again, Im not a lawyer & its not my call to make, but he will do whats in his power to help you. Being a new owner can be frustrating enough on its own without having all of the other issues that you've been having. Just know, your not alone out there. The SpyderLovers Community is really more like an extended family & most of us try to help out in any way we can.

If you'd d like to talk about this more, send me a PM with your number & the best time to call & I'll give you a ring. No magic answers here, just someone thats walked a mile in your shoes & IS STILL VERY ADICTED TO HIS SPYDER. (ok, so its Teddys Spyder, but I get to cheuffer & pay for it)