Spyder Garage

Default RIDE REPORT 2012 RT LIMITED

I had the opportunity to get 100 miles on my new RT today. It was windy, cloudy and no sunshine... First of all there is nothing to compare to, the Roadster is so unique and no other manufacture has competition... I have kept two bikes in the stable for years, the last two being a Goldwing 1800 and a 2011 650 V-Strom.

PROS: I was amazed at the electronic power steering, the only thing that connected me to a 2 wheel comparison was from the waist up, I was very relaxed, no tension, light hands and the Roadster obeyed my command very nicely. The maneuverability was impressive, along with the suspension set up (as far as stock suspensions go)

Electric windshield, nice, very nice.

Overall a 10+ in the comfort category, seating position, even the seat was good for a stock seat. Heated grips, Wow they are better than anything that I have had on a BMW.
    Stereo, very pleasing quality sound IMHO.

Automatic Transmission, Flawlessly operational bliss... and reverse, yahoo hang on!

So Unique and in a class of it's on... a definite piece of art with expression... desirable to most everyone on the planet.

CONS: Fuel gauge bouncing around and inaccurate

Lacking in power for a 100 hp, 80 ft pounds of torque machine but it is pushing a lot of weight and a lot of contact patch on the ground.

Be prepared to talk to a lot of people at every stop, the general population are in awe with the Roadster.

RT LIMITED: I am pleased now that my wife talked me into going with the limited, The luggage is really nice and can be used as carry on for flights. Haven't used the GPS but glad it's there. The chrome wheels a definite plus on looks and keeping clean. The chrome accents why not... The seat they could have improved on the firmness of the foam, they should have did more than just stitching on the Limited.

Well I know it's just 100 miles but I already feel comfortable and in control, I do believe this will be a long term relationship.
    It's just so far from a motorcycle, I see why they call it a Roadster, very well taken point.

The reason I purchased was to get off two wheels, what could be better than the Spyder Roadster!

At 100 miles very pleased!
    Last edited by Chazzman; 01-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am at 250 miles in two days on mine and share all your positives but don't feel any lack of power when comparing it to other cruisers.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to both of you on your new Spyders.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I am at 250 miles in two days on mine and share all your positives but don't feel any lack of power when comparing it to other cruisers.
    You're probably right Doc, I have been on the Wing for a long time and you can't compare a twin with a 6 cylinder. I also am keeping the RPM's down to a large degree until I get the 1st service complete.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Power

Power is there, just not on either ends, sits right in the mid RPM range, you'll feel the bike in no time, enjoy and Ryde safe Bro.

Yes you are right , MPG is lower due to extreme surface resistance , you see on 2wheeler it is an inch in line(one wheel right behind another) , Spyder is almost 10x more so if you consider that, there is very little room to improve. ....but when you hit the break pedal, and you really can hit it with full power on any road conditions, Spyder just breaks like no other vehicle, lifts your arse off like that, no other bike can do that.
    ....as I say - Spyder is an all weather bike, love it.

Spyder Garage

Default How to make friends and influence people

They should add this book to the new owners set up, you are now a people person, even if you don't want to be!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

on your new rydes. Hope you both have many more safe miles.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

and..........Ryde safe.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default It gets even better

Get a few thousand miles on the Spyder and it will suprise you with the power in the higher RPM range. I have other two wheelers, cruisers to sport, the spyder has enough power for me after almost 8 thousand miles I am more than satisified. Don't be afraid to run up into 6-7 thousand RPM, It loves to run (after the break in period). Think of it as a higher rpm sport bike, the power comes on in the upper range. I have had to get used to that coming off of a cruiser. My wife and I pulled the 622 trailer across country loaded to the gills (both bike and trailer) and have seen over 90 mph with all of that load. (my GPS clocked 102 once without the trailer) that's good enough for me. It was probally maxed out at
    that speed though.
    I do agreed with many that it could use a lower gear for 1st. A 6 speed would be worth trading for. I love the bike, after riding 45 years and owning more bikes than I can count, I pick the Spyder RT. Your gonna love it for sure.

Stan
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Just got my limited late sat night as of now only have about 75mi on her,, but boy she is sweet i cant believe the difference from the rs daylight & dark
    i just need more time to ride to learn all the bells whistles
    2018 f3t , red

Spyder Garage

on the RTS Limited . Heres to miles of smiles !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

to the both of you, ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

on your new lifestyle and yes it will change from a bike. I agree with lacking HP in low and high RPMs but the power in the high RPMs is there if you want to do a few things. First dream then open the billfold , then fave fun making it yours.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Had my first night ride this evening... Wow , the change in the backlit screen color combo makes it so much easier for me to read than my 2010 RTS. I love it... I wish Spyderfest was sooner...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

had my new 2012 RT sm5 a/c for 2 weeks now and have 1300 miles on it. big difference from old RS. love the new ride

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Spyder. Happy Spydering!!!!!!!!!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

and to both of you on your new RT's.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.