Spyder Garage

Question "High Engine Temperature"- Limp Mode

So today after meeting SpyderLovers of California, City of Angels chapter member scottyB for breakfast, he paid
    I went and and filled the RT up with gas. And then put air in the rear shock, I left the bike running when I put the air in. (probably all of 2 minutes idling ) and the check engine light came on when I put it in gear saying "High engine temperature" It then proceeded to go into limp mode. So I pulled out to ride home at reduced speed, and went a different route home so as to not have to be in traffic. After about a minute it came out of limp mode and everything seemed back to normal. Is there anything i should have checked ? Is this just a precaution to safegaurd the engine? This is the first time for this.

I did do a search and this thread seems the same thing happened to this person too.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...gh+temperature I have about another 1500 miles till next service.

I want to ride some more today, is that ok?

ticketbait

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ?

1,- was engine temp high?
    2,- did fan came on?
    3,- level of coolant?
    4,- level of oil?

Yes , whole idea of "Limp mode home" is to protect engine , most of the time it's gonna be glitch.
    Since it went off, ride as much as you like.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    1,- was engine temp high?
    2,- did fan came on?
    3,- level of coolant?
    4,- level of oil?

Yes , whole idea of "Limp mode home" is to protect engine , most of the time it's gonna be glitch.
    Since it went off, ride as much as you like.
    1. Engine temp was showing five bars up identical to this file photo.
    2. fan I believe came on, darn it, cant remember. I do know that when I shut it off after getting home the fan was still going which is normal.
    3. I will attempt to check
    4. OK I will check oil too. but will have to ride to get to operating temp now.

Gonna do a couple errands around town and see if it occurs again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You are good to go

That is not hot enough for what you experienced, it was just a glitch, you see , Spyder is so sophisticated it takes care of itself, sometimes is too fussy and throw a glitch at us. I posted the ways how to get rid of those glitches and actually find out if it is a glitch or real diagnostic. Can't remember what was the name of the thread and who started it though, I'll have a look for you Bro.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the fan didn't come on. Loose relay maybe , check the battery terminals as well . Its always a pain in the butt when the problem is intermittent.
    Happy Owner

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ticketbait, I had my 2011 RT-SE5 go into limp mode and also had a check engine light come on that showed what I assume was the transmission. In both cases it was within a mile or two after gassing up. I had less then 3,000 miles on the bike at the time. Working for GM, I know that a loose gas cap (anything less than 3 clicks, basically) can create a vacuum leak and set off the check engine light. I know that I had turned that cap more than enough to seal it. In both cases, we pulled off the road, killed the engine, waited a minute or so and restarted the engine and none of the warnings lit up. Not sure if that helps at all, but I did notice that you had just gassed up, as well. I don't know if they're linked or not.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had it happen to me about 5 times on the way from Kansas city to Colorado during a 107deg day after filling up. It went to limp mode engine overheat right after I started it. So i figure maybe it needs more air so I took off took off riding and it went off and fan was running and fluid level was ok and oil. I think setting off for fill up it just got hot with no air flow. Also just for thought when I went top of Pikes Peak,14000+ my radiator cap blew off half of my coolant. The ranger told me its because im a flatlander and I should have open the cap to equealize pressure around 5-6000ft to adjust for atmosfere pressure. hope i helped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roydog20 View Post
    Had it happen to me about 5 times on the way from Kansas city to Colorado during a 107deg day after filling up. It went to limp mode engine overheat right after I started it. So i figure maybe it needs more air so I took off took off riding and it went off and fan was running and fluid level was ok and oil. I think setting off for fill up it just got hot with no air flow. Also just for thought when I went top of Pikes Peak,14000+ my radiator cap blew off half of my coolant. The ranger told me its because im a flatlander and I should have open the cap to equealize pressure around 5-6000ft to adjust for atmosfere pressure. hope i helped.
    Thanks roydog, good to know.As it turns out , my reservoir bottle had a crack about mid-way, they are replacing under warranty. Only took a little over a month to diagnose and once they get the part, I can ride again.

In the meantime they said my brakes needed to be replaced. This was the first time for the front at 30K miles, and the second time for the rear which I had gotten 22K the first time and only 8 this time I replaced all the brakes for $350 + taxand that was after getting a quote of $500 from them and when I asked for a discount the service tech said no more discounts are being approved. So I checked another dealership on the price for brakes and when it was so much less, I told them I was gonna get it done at the other place. Well low and behold them matched the price. Now I am gonna have to always have a back up price, so sad.( I am rambling on............)

And I learned I can no longer get the taller windshield(27") from BRP. My cluster had some updates done to it. I hope I am trouble free for a while.

Spyder Garage

In these cases:
    1. Check coolant level.
    2. Check fan function.
    3. If fan doesn't work check relays and fuses.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I still don't like the idea that these critters heat up to point that fan comes on while sitting at a stop light. Some of the more knowledgable folks say its perfectly normal and quoted actual temps. Despite this, it still bothers me, particularly since no other cycle i've owned has that much rise and fall.

What I'd like to do is put switch on the fan that I could manually turn on when getting into stop and go traffic to provide earlier cooling. This doesn't seem like a diff thing to do, and I would if I knew it wouldn't somehow mess with the computer systems. Does anyone know if it would?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a pretty exhaustive thread on adding a switch like you suggest. I can't recall it ... But a search would probably find it. Too early for my rememberer to be working.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I still don't like the idea that these critters heat up to point that fan comes on while sitting at a stop light. Some of the more knowledgable folks say its perfectly normal and quoted actual temps. Despite this, it still bothers me, particularly since no other cycle i've owned has that much rise and fall.

?
    Every bike i've owned with a radiator the fan would turn on at a long light, Even my side by and ATV will if setting long at idle will have the fan turn on' How hot they get who knows,
    The Spyder is the only machine i had that has a temperature gauge. A temperature gage just gives you more information than most people need.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Every bike i've owned with a radiator the fan would turn on at a long light, Even my side by and ATV will if setting long at idle will have the fan turn on' How hot they get who knows,
    The Spyder is the only machine i had that has a temperature gauge. A temperature gage just gives you more information than most people need.
    Uhm, I think you have a valid point 🎯

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I have the same thing every so often but usually no limp mode that I recall. I drive it a few hundred yards and it goes off. I think it is worse if the bike is already warm.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Randy