Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Default Evo Bar dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Please do that
    Thanks
    Ok, that was hard to do on crutches, getting up and down was a bear but got the measurements.
    9/16" or 14.4mm or .57in in thickness measuring at the middle of the bar with a calibrated digital caliper. You owe me a beer

Cheers,

Cole

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=pro10is;409827]More great info, thanks! I've always just assumed the spring rates were carefully checked before shipment on high performance shocks. I thought that this kind of fine attention to detail is one of the reasons that the cost is so high. It's also disconcerting that the springs may not be matched side to side. I had no idea that there was a possibility that this wasn't tightly controlled between the spring manufacturer and the shock manufacturer. I assume you've seen some disturbing discrepancies or else you wouldn't be alerting us to this. This could be why some people are so pleased with their shock upgrades while others are not. Like you say we are at the mercy of the suppliers to get it right.[/QUOT

Well a lot of people assume the same thing. An a lot of the suppliers will sware their springs are
    dead on specks or no more off than 2% on rate & free height. At one time or another i have had
    my hands on about every brand coil & leaf spring that you can buy in the USA.Have found quite
    a bit of them off on rate,some 10-30#,some as much as a 100#. The shock guys are at the mercy
    of the spring supplier but i think he should check the springs & use a matched set.The springs are
    marked on the end but don't bet you life on what you see. Ok,lets back off this spring stuff before
    i get in trouble. A guy would not ride around with 20# of air in one tire & 10# in the other.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cole369 View Post
    Ok, that was hard to do on crutches, getting up and down was a bear but got the measurements.
    9/16" or 14.4mm or .57in in thickness measuring at the middle of the bar with a calibrated digital caliper. You owe me a beer

Cheers,

Cole
    Thank you,sorry about you having to go to the trouble while being injured.
    Now that makes me feel bad,probley want sleep tonight.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    , plus the RT bar is thinner, much the same as the stock bar, while the RS bar is noticeably heavier gauge than OEM.
    Hi Scotty

I have recent stock (designs of the Evo RS bar did change some time ago) of both RT and RS Evo swaybars and while I don't have a micrometer the RT bar is the thicker one by far. I just took them both off the shelf and clearly the RS is the thinner bar and its longer than the RT. Around 15mm for the RT ones and 12.5mm for the RS one (measured with a ruler).
    Last edited by mrb; 01-24-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Hi Scotty

I have recent stock (designs of the Evo RS bar did change some time ago) of both RT and RS Evo swaybars and while I don't have a micrometer the RT bar is the thicker one by far. I just took them both off the shelf and clearly the RS is the thinner bar and its longer than the RT. Around 15mm for the RT ones and 12.5mm for the RS one (measured with a ruler).
    Thanks, that's good to know. I know the first RT EVO bars were reported to be the same diameter as the OEM bar, but stiffer because of shorter link arms. It is possible that the stock RT bars are thicker than the RS anyway? What we need is good dimensions for both models, for both stock and EVO bars, then we will all understand what is going on. This thread gets muddier by the minute.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 01-24-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    would it be possible to stack a second oem swaybar on the first one?. i'm sure there is an ample cheap supply of these. just throwin it out there
    Thats a no. Sent you a pm let me know if you got it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi All
    Trust this may help clarify things. Black one below is RT, orange one is RS/GS. I have both in stock. RT is a couple of mm larger in diameter and shorter.

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RS OEM vs EVO RS

Here is a comparison of the 2011 RS OEM and the EVO RS model sway bars. Not much difference in diameter, 17/32" OEM vs 9/16" for the EVO. The shape is considerably different. Also notice the additional clamps on the OEM which, I believe, were to prevent the sway bar from moving laterally.

IMG_2474.jpg
    (Click on Photo to Enlarge)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    Here is a comparison of the 2011 RS OEM and the EVO RS model sway bars. Not much difference in diameter, 17/32" OEM vs 9/16" for the EVO. The shape is considerably different. Also notice the additional clamps on the OEM which, I believe, were to prevent the sway bar from moving laterally.

IMG_2474.jpg
    (Click on Photo to Enlarge)
    The bends on the EVO bar position it, like the clamps or bosses on the stock bar. The bends also stiffen the torsion bar, making it twist over a shorter length.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ...The bends also stiffen the torsion bar, making it twist over a shorter length.
    Perhaps that's why the RS Evo sway bar works better than the RT Evo sway bar which relies solely on a larger diameter for greater stiffness rather than a bend.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi All

FYI my stock of Evoluzione sway bars are all gone now.

Spyder Garage

Default Evo sway bar

I still have not put mine back on. If anyone is interested $125 including shipping within US. Will put it back on this weekend if no sale.