Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka VS Fox VS Progressive Front Suspension Discussion

We now have three manufacturers of performance front shocks for the Can-Am Spyder. We all have heard a lot about Elka shocks but relatively little about Fox or Progressive. With Fox shocks now standard on the 2012 RS-S and also offered as an accessory add-on by BRP, and Progressive offering a third choice, the time has come for an objective discussion on all three offerings.

Here's what the market has to offer (descriptions and prices are from manufactures and/or distributors):
    • Elka Stage 1 +R:
      • The basic unit offers adjustable preload (used to compensate for riding solo or two-up with or without baggage) of the spring + adjustable rebound damping. The spring is supplied in the proper rate for the rider's weight.
      • Cost $695.00
    • Elka Stage 1 +HYD:
      • Same as the Stage 1 +R above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
      • Cost $975.00
    • Elka Stage 2 +R:
      • Same as the Stage 1 +R above + external reservoir with floating piston to provide more consistent damping action over longer rides and/or during more spirited riding.
      • Cost $1,195.00
    • Elka Stage 4:
      • Our best-selling model that features adjustable preload, rebound, high-speed and low-speed compression.
      • Cost $???
    • Elka Stage 4 +HYD:
      • Same as above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
      • Cost $1,570.00
    • Elka Stage 5:
      • Our high-end option for discriminating riders looking for the ultimate adjustability. The Stage 5 is designed to be lightweight, provide maximum oil flow and superior adjustability.
      • Cost $1,795.00
    • Progressive 435 Series
      • High pressure gas mono tube design with deflective disk damping to insure high performance ride control. Threaded pre-load adjusters allow for tool-less adjustment, and effortless tuning of ride quality.
      • Cost $424.95
    • FOX Racing Shocks
      • Adjustable, Gas Charged 5.7" (145 mm). BRP Accessory available from BRP dealers and online.
      • Cost $449.95
    • 2011-2012 OEM RT Front Shock
      • Used by some as an upgrade to the OEM RS/GS front shocks, listed here for reference
      • Cost $164.98
    Please state your views, opinions, and facts. Some topics could include: 2012 RS-S owners and ride testers, what are your first impressions of the new Fox Shox BRP offering? Has anyone yet tried the Progressive 435 Series? Are the offerings from Fox and Progressive a viable lower priced option to Elka's? Those who upgrade RS/GS shocks to RT OEM's, do you get better performance? What level of price vs performance are you looking for?

Any discussion related to comparisons of the suspension upgrade options for any model of Spyder is on topic here.
    Last edited by pro10is; 01-18-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    We now have three manufacturers of performance front shocks for the Can-Am Spyder. We all have heard a lot about Elka shocks but relatively little about Fox or Progressive. With Fox shocks now standard on the 2012 RS-S and also offered as an accessory add-on by BRP, and Progressive offering a third choice, the time has come for an objective discussion on all three offerings.

Here's what the market has to offer (descriptions and prices are from manufactures and/or distributors):
    • Elka Stage 1 +R:
      • The basic unit offers adjustable preload (used to compensate for riding solo or two-up with or without baggage) of the spring + adjustable rebound damping. The spring is supplied in the proper rate for the rider's weight.
      • Cost $695.00 ( front), $549 ( rear)
    • Elka Stage 1 +HYD:
      • Same as the Stage 1 +R above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
      • Cost $875.00 ( rear)
    • Elka Stage 2 +R:
      • Same as the Stage 1 +R above + external reservoir with floating piston to provide more consistent damping action over longer rides and/or during more spirited riding.
      • Cost $975.00 ( front)
      • Elka Stage 4:
      • Our best-selling model that features adjustable preload, rebound, high-speed and low-speed compression.
      • Cost $1570 ( front)
    • Elka Stage 4 +HYD:
      • Same as above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
      • Cost $1,195 ( rear)
    • Elka Stage 5:
      • Our high-end option for discriminating riders looking for the ultimate adjustability. The Stage 5 is designed to be lightweight, provide maximum oil flow and superior adjustability.
      • Cost $1,595.00 ( front)
    • Progressive 435 Series
      • High pressure gas mono tube design with deflective disk damping to insure high performance ride control. Threaded pre-load adjusters allow for tool-less adjustment, and effortless tuning of ride quality.
      • Cost $424.95
    • FOX Racing Shocks
      • Adjustable, Gas Charged 5.7" (145 mm). BRP Accessory available from BRP dealers and online.
      • Cost $449.95
      • Used by some as an upgrade to the OEM RS/GS front shocks, listed here for reference
      • Cost $164.98
    Please state your views, opinions, and facts. Some topics could include: 2012 RS-S owners and ride testers, what are your first impressions of the new Fox Shox BRP offering? Has anyone yet tried the Progressive 435 Series? Are the offerings from Fox and Progressive a viable lower priced option to Elka's? Those who upgrade RS/GS shocks to RT OEM's, do you get better performance? What level of price vs performance are you looking for?

Any discussion related to comparisons of the suspension upgrade options for any model of Spyder is on topic here.
    See corrections above. Thanks.
    Last edited by Trooper; 01-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Thanks for the corrections, my prices were from various online retailers selling your products. Your prices are better but I could not find those prices listed on your web site.
    Last edited by pro10is; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the corrections, my prices were from various online retailers selling your products. Your prices are better but I could not find those prices listed on your web site.
    No problem...and we can technically build a non rebound adjustable fron pair of shocks at $495,( Stage 1) but one of the biggest complaints we got from customers with the RT front shocks was the rebound dampening being insufficient. We offer the Stage 1+ ( with adjustable rebound) because of the adjustability factor.

P.S. I didnt mean to butt into your thread. I just wanted to make sure the pricing was corrected.

Spyder Garage

No problem...and we can technically build a non rebound adjustable fron pair of shocks at $495,( Stage 1) but one of the biggest complaints we got from customers with the RT front shocks was the rebound dampening being insufficient. We offer the Stage 1+ ( with adjustable rebound) because of the adjustability factor.

P.S. I didnt mean to butt into your thread. I just wanted to make sure the pricing was corrected.
    Butt in? No way, you're more than welcome to offer any kind of information to this thread. This is exactly the kind of open discussion and comparison detail needed. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

• Elka Stage 1 +R:
      • Cost $695.00
    • Elka Stage 1 +HYD:
      • Cost $975.00
    • Elka Stage 2 +R:
      • Cost $1,195.00
    • Elka Stage 4:
      • Cost $???
    • Elka Stage 4 +HYD:
      • Cost $1,570.00
    • Elka Stage 5:
      • Cost $1,795.00
    • Progressive 435 Series
      • Cost $424.95
    • FOX Racing Shocks
      • Cost $449.95
      • Cost $164.98

You also have Race Tech. Look them up.

http://racetech.com/page/id/99
    Last edited by Dudley; 01-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am in the progress of updating my Shocks on my Spyder RT-S SES 2010 Model

Did consider the 2011 OEM Shocks as an upgrade but due to BRP not having any available (On back order) And with no date when they would be available I started to look at others

One of my considerations was to Match the Front Shocks with the Rear Shock otherwise it would seem like only half a job, and if both are brought from the Same company the would have carried out all the R & D to get the balance right

With that in mind

Only ELKA and a German Company Wilbers See http://www.wilbers.de/en/firma.php
    Could produced A Pair of Front Shocks and a Rear Shock for the Spyder RT
    The German ones were more expensive and I could not find anyone who had them fitted them on the Spyder RT
    So much well informed information on the ELKA Shocks was posted on this website it kinda made the decision for me to go with ELKAs

It would be intresting to find out those that went with the Progressive 435 Series/ FOX Racing Shocks or even One off Custom made Shocks etc if they just settled for the OEM Rear Shock or have fitted something else and if so - What did they gp for on the Rear and how do they performed under riding conditions

Thanks

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 01-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Butt in? No way, you're more than welcome to offer any kind of information to this thread. This is exactly the kind of open discussion and comparison detail needed. Thank you!
    Well I appreciate the invitation to " butt in" so to speak, but I am not entirely comfortable discussing the differences of our products over the competitions if they are not here to defend themselves or to take part in the debate.

All I ask for those taking part in the debate is that if you are only basing your arguments strictly on pricing, please be sure you are comparing apples to apples (adjustments such as preload, adjustable rebound damping , adjustable compression damping) since this will affect the price of the products.

Also, be careful about list price VS. promotional price. The "list " price on the Progressive front shocks you found are based off of this:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...00&click=37735

The price listed is a promotion from a retailer, but the "regular price" is $599.95. Our list price for the same style of product ( non rebound adjustable) would be $495.

I just thought I felt it was important to add that in.
    Carry on.
    Last edited by Trooper; 01-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Elka Rep,

I ordered a Stage 1+ HYPD the first week of the new year. I jus t got an email from my dealer at Honda Tloedo East that you do not have the STAGE 1 +HYD BRP-SPYDER-0811-R-E46R/HYDP for 2011 Can Am RS-S. Is this correct??? This is the model with the remote knob to easily adjust ride height correct?

Thanks,

Cole

Spyder Garage

A quote from EDDIESHEP999. "Did consider the 2011 OEM Shocks as an upgrade but due to BRP not having any available (On back order) And with no date when they would be available I started to look at others."

Don't you love it when BRP tells you There on back order and we have no idea when or where they will be back in stock.

BRP must have no or very pure communications with there vendors or the vendors is at falt. In any case it's BRP that at falt for using that vendor. Do like me I wrote BRP and told them about there poor distribution of parts and accessories. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 01-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cole369 View Post
    Elka Rep,

I ordered a Stage 1+ HYPD the first week of the new year. I jus t got an email from my dealer at Honda Tloedo East that you do not have the STAGE 1 +HYD BRP-SPYDER-0811-R-E46R/HYDP for 2011 Can Am RS-S. Is this correct??? This is the model with the remote knob to easily adjust ride height correct?

Thanks,

Cole
    Answered your PM, Cole. You can call me John.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a set of Elkas for my 2011 RS-S. I was unhappy with the stock shocks so that is why I decided to look for shock alternatives. I did not like the body lean and brake squash the stock shocks would give as feed back after multiple adjustments. The rear shock rebound rate was way too quick and did not support my 2 up riding conditions. I spoke to Len at Cowtown, Mike at Elka and finally Brandon at Honda East Toledo before I pulled the trigger. Mike actually helped me select the shocks that would fit my style of riding along with weight and luggage requirements. I really thought I needed the remote reservoirs and Stage 3 options, but he talk me down from the try and gave me the truth. I really appreciated their honesty…that actually went a long way. So I went with the Stage 1+R up front and the new rear setup option from Elka the Stage 1 + HYD “PROVIDES EFFORTLESS FINE-TUNING OF THE BIKE'S RIDE HEIGHT (SAG) USING AN HYDRAULIC REMOTE KNOB (10mm RANGE).” I ordered them through Brandon at Honda East Toledo at (419-891-1230 Ext. 36) they downright had the best price shipping and handling overall competitors

So I selected the Elka’s over the other manufactures based on their passed performance history and through product research on their website and other Spyder Forums as well. Here are some of my thoughts when I bought my Elka’s.

1. I really like they way they look on my Spyder and the ability for the shocks to be built to perform based on my weight, luggage and riding habits. My stocks shocks were not made for a retired Air Force Senior NCO.
    2. The price for Elka are high, so I just had the bite the bullet and put them on “I pay the bills around here”…might have to do that for the Corbin Smuggler set up too…if I’m broke I can sleep on my Spyder
    3. Having a manufacturer I can send the product back too if I have any issues weighed heavily as with the past and proven performance record. Elka has been the lead aftermarket shock manufacturer for Can Am Spyders since their inception.
    4. The Stage 1 + HYDP Part# BRP-SPYDER-0811-R-E46R/HYDP were the biggest seller as this set-up would give me the ability to remotely adjust the ride height for luggage, an additional passenger, or both. This concept really sealed the deal with the ability to adjust the ride height with out tools of major adjustments. Note if you order these they are still in a developmental stage and will be at least a 4 week wait.

Lastly, thanks John from Elka for all your help and Brandon at Honda East Toledo for a hell of a deal.

Cheers,

Cole

Spyder Garage

I put the 2011 RT shocks on my '08 RS. Just the fronts. I have done nothing with the rear shock. I now have all the shocks set as firm as they will go. I've also got the Evoluzione sway bar (which I hear so no longer available). I'm not an "aggressive" ryder. I ryde two up most of the time. And my husband and I are "it" when it comes to getting home for our dog. I want to come home alive, so do not take chances. This doesn't mean I don't push it some.

The RT shocks and sway bar combo have proved enough for us. The difference in handling is night and day. I'm happy. There may be additional performance to be had. I'm not looking for it.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Well I appreciate the invitation to " butt in" so to speak, but I am not entirely comfortable discussing the differences of our products over the competitions if they are not here to defend themselves or to take part in the debate.
    I admire and respect your values, but I disagree. You are not criticizing their products, you're just stating facts about yours. Perfectly legit. More importantly, I think the fact that you are here and willing to openly discuss your products is highly admirable. In my many years of experience on motorcycle, boat, and automotive forums there were all too few manufacturers who were willing to engage in forum discussions and as readily available to answer questions as you have been. It takes real guts and a high confidence in your products to open yourself up to public opinion and debate. Sometimes these forums can be brutal. I've observed that manufacturers who are willing to open themselves to forum discussions may take some heat now and then but if they hang in there and support their products they usually earn a very loyal and large customer base. The same is true for dealers, such as Cowtown.

Your competitors have the same opportunity to speak up here as you, but if they choose not to then that should be a factor in deciding whether or not to purchase their products and also what their products are worth. I sincerely hope that you will continue to take part in this and other threads concerning your products and I wish other manufacturers would have the fortitude to do the same.

Spyder Garage

Pro10is,

I sincerely agree with you. As you noticed when John became present on the forum as a representative from Elka I was in the middle of a phone conversation with my dealer about the rear Stage 1 HYDP were not going to be available. If you see my post to John, to include the PM it was noted they were available. My dealer was speaking with an Elka sales representative at the same time and they were telling him no…it’s not available. At that point I was confused and told my dealer I would contact Elka direct and see what was going on. I called John (Elka rep who butted in this forum) who explained why it was not available. He said their engineering team receives a engineering communication from all motorcycle manufactures every year for their production vehicles which details their suspension geometry and if there were any changes. The communication for the 2011 and 2012 noted the suspension for the Can Am Spyder RS-S is the same suspension geometry as the 2010 production model. So the engineers at Elka designed the rear Stage 1+ HYDP remote adjustable shock based on those dimensions. It was put on their test vehicle and the engineers instantly knew something was not right. The sales brochures and online product flyers were already out noting the new rear Stage 1+ HYDP was available and for sale. Myself and probably a few other Spyder owners were probably kicking the money-can around trying to decide what flavor of ice-cream they were going to buy. As you can see from my previous post I pulled the trigger and bought them and was waiting to hear the UPS knock at the door, and then I heard the brakes. I was hurt, trust me, I had been waiting 2 weeks…and we all know when we are waiting for parts to arrive every truck that goes by is the UPS truck. I applaud John from Elka for taking the time to explain what happened in engineering process and how they are resolving it along with how the engineers will fix the Stage 1+ HYDP for the 2011-2012 RS-S models to make it available for sale. Overall just excellent customer service, very personably and they literally talk to you as if they know you.

So Pro10is I thank you for starting this forum discussion because this is the topic I searched for and used to eventually make my decision on what suspension system to buy. I did a search on “Elka” and 5 pages of previous/similar post on SpyderLovers.com on suspension decisions/purchases/installation from Spyder owners. I also did one for “Fox Shocks” and it came back with 5 pages as well. Again, Pro10is great discussion forum topic.

Cheers,

Cole

Spyder Garage

I admire and respect your values, but I disagree. You are not criticizing their products, you're just stating facts about yours. Perfectly legit. More importantly, I think the fact that you are here and willing to openly discuss your products is highly admirable. In my many years of experience on motorcycle, boat, and automotive forums there were all too few manufacturers who were willing to engage in forum discussions and as readily available to answer questions as you have been. It takes real guts and a high confidence in your products to open yourself up to public opinion and debate. Sometimes these forums can be brutal. I've observed that manufacturers who are willing to open themselves to forum discussions may take some heat now and then but if they hang in there and support their products they usually earn a very loyal and large customer base. The same is true for dealers, such as Cowtown.

Your competitors have the same opportunity to speak up here as you, but if they choose not to then that should be a factor in deciding whether or not to purchase their products and also what their products are worth. I sincerely hope that you will continue to take part in this and other threads concerning your products and I wish other manufacturers would have the fortitude to do the same.
    Thank you for your post, I really appreciate your insight. I hope to see you at Spyderfest to thank you personally.

Spyder Garage

Ok I'll diive in here on real life experiance, first off my disclaimer that I have elkas the purchase of them was challenging there were some errors, but like as anyone would expect they handled all issues professionally and solved every issue.

reveiw

1. Progressive, I'm sure better than stock these I have never used, so my opinion is based on opinion and reference. They are big in the bike market, total different world than Spyder, so I have my reservations as to longevity. The front shocks are very abusive to the moving components of the shock and substandard materials may not last, so the quality of materials I would strongly compare.

2. Fox they make shocks for everything!! And they are good, had them on sleds in the past they perform well, be warned if you use these and ride in a spirited nature they will require a minimum of annual maintenance. They are very hard on oil and seals tend to fail causing loss of gas. Most all larger sled and atv shops commonly rebuild fox shox so get a quote on a yearly rebuild, and take that expense into considerations.

3 Elka's ahh the gold standard!! Coming from sleds I've used several shocks and until Spyder and intro to Elka's I always thought Ohlin's were the best shock out. Well Elka raised the bar by taking model specific design + rider/ passenger weight+ riding style all into consideration to tailor them to each riding style. Result = perfection!! Stock shocks were horrible after a hour of riding I'd have the oil boiling and riding a pogo stick!!! I have yet to feel the slightest amount of shock fade, and believe me I've tried. The dampening effects from the start or end of a ride always feel the same. Last these are the first aftermarket rebuild-able shocks I ever owned that DO NOT need rebuilt after the winter off, every other shock I owned leave them sit during off season got to use it and shocks would be gas less, not my Elka's they are tall and proud ready for another season of pounding.

John was a great asset in getting mine correct, I should apologize for not letting him know just how completely satisfied I am after a years use.

My personal endorsement for what it is worth===Buy Elka's and ride it like you stole it!!!

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I know this is an old thread... Lol

Wondering when reading the last post..."if" the Elka shocks do need to be rebuilt for loss of gas, how much does that typically cost?

This saying that the Elka rep still visits here?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I know this is an old thread... Lol

Wondering when reading the last post..."if" the Elka shocks do need to be rebuilt for loss of gas, how much does that typically cost?

This saying that the Elka rep still visits here?

you should PM "Trooper".
    You are much more likely to get an answer, than hoping he sees a single post on an old thread. LOL.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, kinda figured. Lol

Also would like to know why the Elka shock website only goes up to 2011?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    ...Also would like to know why the Elka shock website only goes up to 2011?

See post 19...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    See post 19...

Lol

I added another question because I PM'd him a link to this thread....in case someone else had the same question in the future.

Spyder Garage

Besides, he's in Canada, may not hear from him til the spring thaw.

Spyder Garage

We hit 2 Celcius this morning, so I have thawed a bit !!

You are correct, its only listed until 2011 on our website......however, we cover all years from 2008 to 2013 Spyders. 2014 confirmation will be very soon.

Thanks for the heads up, and I will gladly yell at our marketing manager. He deserves it !!

Regards,

John@ Elka Suspension

Spyder Garage

You didn't answer my original question in post #18

Lol