Spyder Garage

Default PULLING A TRAILER?????

Thinking of buy a trailer for my spider but Im worried about how it handles at speed. I get a little heavy throttle when on the freeways. So anybody with info would be appreciated. thx

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronrico View Post
    Thinking of buy a trailer for my spider but Im worried about how it handles at speed. I get a little heavy throttle when on the freeways. So anybody with info would be appreciated. thx
    I only have experience, with the Spyder RT, pulling the 622 trailer. This particular trailer pulls better than any other trailer I have ever hauled with a motorcycle. There is no stability lost at highway speeds and I actually feel less buffeting by the wind while pulling my trailer at high speed.
    However, it is probably safer to slow down pulling this extra weight behind your vehicle because of loss of maneuverability while pulling any trailer at high speeds.

Other RT Ryder's pull different types of brand and homemade trailers and I have yet to hear any negatives about cruising at interstate speeds pulling their rigs. If so I expect they will chime in with their experience.

Spyder Garage

If you're talking about the CanAm trailer, I've pulled it for long days at speeds of 75 mph and I didn't know it was there. Totally stable. My highest speed may have been 80 or so while passing, but the trailer is very stable and you don't feel it in turns, going over bumps, etc.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

I've pulled our RT622 trailer @ 85-90 MPH while pushing a 30-35 MPH head wind. No problem with the trailer, but only got 18.4 MPG in the process...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

The RT pulls a trailer real nicely. I have pulled at up to 90 with the RT-622 with no problems, and almost that fast pulling my camper. I have not towed with the RS, but Lamont put thousands of miles on his, pulling his Bushtec. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better machine on the road for towing a trailer. Just be prepared to stop for gas a lot. Between your heavy throttle hand and the trailer, the Spyder will be thirstier than normal...and it is fairly thirsty already.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Pulling the BRP RT-622 Trailer with an RT can't be beat

I'll openly admit that I miss our RT-622 trailer from BRP. As others have stated, that thing pulls like a dream. On our trip back in 2010 to Florida, we got caught going through the moutains in GA in a heavy downpour, at 80 mph, and even in the heavy rain, you could hardly tell it was back there. BRP did a great job when designing the RT & the trailer.

I wanted something Teddy & I could sleep in tho, so that's why we got the Moto-Mate camper that we have now. It doesn't handle nearly as well as the BRP trailer, but in all fairness, it is roughly the SAME SIZE AS THE SPYDER, so I knew going in that it wouldn't handle as well. With its size, proper loading makes a huge difference. To much weight forward, & you can get a "fish-tailing" effect on the rear of the Spyder. To much weight to the rear of the trailer & you can get a bouncing effect on the rear of the Spyder. Once I learned 50/50 down the center, its now much more smooth of a ryde. Once, on a group ryde (I wont say when, where or who) while trying to keep up with the leader, we got to tripple digits while pulling the Moto-Mate camper & it handeled it very well.

With the BRP trailer, you will likely loose about 2- 4 MPGs. With our Moto-Mate, its closer to 4-6 MPGs. Either way you go, the Spyder RT is made to tow.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I pull a Uni Go trailer. Only 1 wheel. Smaller than the 622. I never know it's there except when backing up. Stable at any speed. The tire is a scooter type.

Spyder Garage

Thx to all for the info. I knew I could count on the spyder community.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I am sure most of you have seen my trailer ( was yellow but now white ) BRP 622 it is not. It is a cargo 28cubic foot, with torson suspension, with a 4 gal gas tank in the cooler rack.. It has followed me many thousand's of miles at speeds that are in excess of some speed limits, and I have pulled it in pouring down rain at highway speeds. Yep... it works great and Yep it can have a 4 to 10 mpg effect depending upon your speed and road/wind conditions. Well hills and mountain roads also.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I pulled the can-am 622 with my RS SE5 and I had to keep looking in the rear view to make sure it was still there!!! Pulled like a dream!! If you want a cargo trailer that one is THE ticket!! If you want something you can sleep in that's different. You'd have to go looking at the diff. trailers that are out there, and there are lots of them. I only have the RT now and have put on a few miles towing and I can't fault the 622. I packed it like I was gona be gone for 6 months!!! And it did just fine. Gas milage on the RT only dropped a little. On a 3000 mile jaunt this last summer I averaged 27 mpg. I didn't do 70! I DID do 65 or less. Guess I'm not in a hurry.

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling a trailer

pulled my 622 trailer with my 2011 RT from western NV to central Missouri last summer with no problems. Followed HIway 50 from Fernley to Dodge City, KS through the Rockies with lots of curves and mountain grades. Hit 85 when passing and didn't know the trailer was along. 3700+ miles at 25.4 MPG. Riding without trailer get almost 36 mpg so the trailer does make a difference for gas stops.