Spyder Garage

Default Are you planning a trip to Alaska this year?

I just wanted to offer my help if you are planning a trip to Alaska this year.

I am always happy to answer questions, make suggestions for good rides based on your time, experience, bravery, etc.

I live in Chugiak--about 20 miles from Anchorage--so am at the hub of most of the good rides.

Also like to meet Spyderlovers and maybe even join you for a ride if you are so inclined.

Looking forward to any inquires. On the thread or PM.

akspyderman
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we are tossing Alaska around.....we would be traveling from Friendswood, Texas to Northwest Arkansas, for a Valkyrie rally and then to Spyders in the Redwoods and up to Seattle for nephews wedding....we thought we are half way to Alaska....take the ferry up and then ???? Can you take the ferry and get off and then back on is a couple of days at different location? I really need to get online and start research....I'm open to suggestions......my husband has been riding for 50+ years....I have 32,000 miles under my belt...so we are seasoned...no camping...hotel, motel B&B what ever....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Great to hear you are thinking about it. There are ferry options from Seattle to Whittier/Skagway and I believe Haines. BMW took the ferry out of Whittier to Seattle two summers ago--so you can check with him about that.

Whittier will bring you the closest to Anchorage (25 miles or so) without having to drive the Alcan Highway and all its adventures. The other locations require the Alcan drive.

You can still get a real taste of AK without the Alcan Adventure. There are beautiful rides and adventures in all four directions from Anchorage. Most within a hundred mile radius--unless you choose to go to Denali and points north (then about 350 miles one way).

I also choose the hotel, motel, B & B options when travelling. I don't like camping with Grizzlies.

If you want specifics--PM me anytime.

I also recommend purchasing a 2012 Milepost magazine. About $30 at any store that sells books. This will give you a perspective on what to see and expect.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-13-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Looking at mid August to Mid September

Thanks so much for the offer...will DEFINITELY be seeking your input. Thanks again.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Milepost 2012 is available for pre-order on Amazon for $19.77.

Spyder Garage

MurphyBrown: glad to hear you are considering "The Trip".

Tourist season usually runs from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Denali and points north are subject to colder weather and snow anytime after the first week of September. Because of this, most of the tourist accomodations close promptly on Labor Day. There are always a few places open--but the selection is not quite as good as earlier on.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just a February "bump" for any others who may be interested or have questions.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When we were almost to Alaska, akspyderman started pming us info on the country we were going through and what to expect ahead. He helped us understand and enjoy the unique areas we were going through.

akspyderman, thank you for the ride around your area too. Saw some interesting sights!

When we were on the road, met many people who did their big ride and later their beloved passed, and many who waited too long. Tore my heart out every time hearing those stories.

Put your big ryde towards the top of the bucket list. Just leaving it at that...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Aug 2013 Planning

Spyder rider "Marlene" and I are at the initial planning stage of our Summer '13 ride.
    So far we're thinking/hoping to go from Bellingham, Wa to Ketchikan then it looks like five more ferry connections to Juneau then Skagway then we'll start heading home to Victoria, BC.
    Any positive suggestions welcome. We plan to have most of August on the road. Really looking forward to it.

Happy riding
    yatman

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Looks like summer of 2014 will be our trip. Plan on retiring that spring, so everything is in early planning stages. We will be pulling the toyhauler with the Spyder in the back. Probably make 2 to 3 months of it.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I will be taking a tour to Alaska this year. I promised her I would take her there once I was healed up from my last kidney surgery. No . It will be a 10 day guided tour. We're not much on going out on our own; I like others to worry about the logistics so I can enjoy the trip worry free.

Thanks for the offer!

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

PM us if you are in the Anchorage/Eagle River area. Maybe we can get together for a meal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    PM us if you are in the Anchorage/Eagle River area. Maybe we can get together for a meal.
    Will do!

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Red face Ferry Booked- Bellingham, Wa to Skagway, Ak

"Marlene" (Spyder rider) and I (on a Dual Sport bike) are going to travel off our Island (Vancouver) South into the US and on Friday 02 August pick up the ferry to Skagway...really looking forward to it as we have a full three weeks to loiter and work our way back to Victoria....get to finally do this....looking forward to this......hope to see some riders all along to share their experiences and advice.

Spyder Garage

Skagway is an interesting place but not really accessible to the rest of Alaska. You are pretty much in a roadless area there. You drive north out of Skagway (over the scenic White Pass), enter British Columbia, and then the Yukon Terriroties and end up in Whitehorse YT. Going west from Whitehorse a couple hundred miles or so and you will eventually get to the Alaska border and will then have roads to travel in AK. A better access point by ferry would be Haines, or Whittier if you want to head our way.

I made the trip from my home to Whitehorse/Skagway and back in the summer of 2010. Very beautiful country along the Alcan Highway.

PM me if you would like to discuss particulars.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This thread was for last year: 2012. I neglected to put the year in the title. I have started a new thread for 2013.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Okay. Every year I think about going to Alaska. Every year I talk myself out of it because of 1) the distance and 2) the weather.

I would go in July and all the weather I see is 50 degrees and raining. I know how it can rain int he Northwest US. It never starts. It never stops. It just oozes cold water all of the the time. What is the weather really like in July in Alaska?

The distances I will deal with as I need to. But I like just to stop at night, usally early, and find myself a room to sleep in. Is this a good plan for Alaska? It seems like towns are so far apart, it is such a busy time of the year that I would probably need reservations. Do I?

How often does the ferry headback to Vancouver or Washington out of Whittier or whatever is closes to Anchorage. Have you ever taken it?

Give me your best advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobnaquin View Post
    Okay. Every year I think about going to Alaska. Every year I talk myself out of it because of 1) the distance and 2) the weather.

I would go in July and all the weather I see is 50 degrees and raining. I know how it can rain int he Northwest US. It never starts. It never stops. It just oozes cold water all of the the time. What is the weather really like in July in Alaska?

The distances I will deal with as I need to. But I like just to stop at night, usally early, and find myself a room to sleep in. Is this a good plan for Alaska? It seems like towns are so far apart, it is such a busy time of the year that I would probably need reservations. Do I?

How often does the ferry headback to Vancouver or Washington out of Whittier or whatever is closes to Anchorage. Have you ever taken it?

Give me your best advice.
    There are always 47 reasons not to come to Alaska. Most people that come here have managed to get over them.

Will try to answer your questions. July is the warmest summer month. In the Anchorage area we get 70 degrees two or three times. If you go north to the interior (Fairbanks) you can see 80 - 100 degrees. The last couple summers have been rainy and cool--no guarantee it will be any different this year (2013)--but we are due for a nicer summer. Just have warm fall gear with you and you will be set. You won't have to worry about your spyder overheating either.

You need to stop early if you are on the Alcan Highway and you usually have to take what is available. Not the case if you are in the loop between Tok, Fairbanks, Anchorage. There are enough places to stay and you can make reservations in advance at most.

The closest ferry port to Anchorage is Whittier. I suggest you purchase a copy of the Milepost 2013 version. It has a wealth of information. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

2020 F3L , Magma Red